996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

1999 996 Garage cylinder head replacement.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 12:20 AM
Pkhoffman is infamous around these parts
1999 996 Garage cylinder head replacement.

Here's my project. I bought a 1999 996 with a timing problem for only $9,000.00. It came with 2 extra tires, K&N intake, headers, and a nice rumble while idling. The main problem was a variocam timing actuator that was failing, causing it to run rich. I decided to save money and let it keep running rich, but unfortunately I ended up with a water pump failure which then resulted in a cracked cylinder head on banks 1-3.

The dealer wanted to replace the entire engine for over $12,000. I could buy a used engine for $7500+$2500 for install at a local German car mechanic. I decided to go a different route and purchased a used cylinder head online for only $800. The timing actuators are over thousand dollars new, but I found a used one for around $200 and bought new timing guide rails for a few dollars at www.pelicanparts.com. Water pump was over $300.

I worked out a deal with the local German car garage for a reduced labor cost and let them get started. It kept taking longer and longer. I would go visit the shop every Friday and sometimes no work would have been done for the entire week. The owner of the shop was concerned about his labor costs and decided that he would be the only one to work on the car. Seven months later, my engine was on the ground and the cylinder head was only partially dismantled.

I was at my breaking point when I noticed a nice looking 996 a few blocks away from my mechanic's shop in front of another local body shop. Then I noticed that there is no engine in the car.

It was my car!!

I immediately got on the phone and demanded to know why my car was parked in front of the body shop. The employees were hesitant to talk to me, but handed the phone to the owner. He said that three weeks ago he had scraped the paint on the door and was getting it fixed. Obviously, he was hoping to get away with this without telling me. That same day I got the car back with a little negotiation and threats. I didn't have to pay for any of the work done on my car so far. A tow truck took both the car and the engine to my house. For the following two weeks, a friend and I put the cylinder head back together, adjusted the timing, and put the engine back in the car. I can't imagine how anyone would take more than a month to do the job we just done spending only a few hours a day.

During those two weeks, I actually purchased a LN engineering kit but did not end up using it because my intermediate shaft was in perfect shape. The rear main seal was perfect as well. I also checked out the clutch and it was flawless. Unfortunately, seven months prior I had purchased a top-of-the-line Valeo organic clutch for nearly $600. It can't be returned, so I'm going to try and sell it on eBay.http://www.ebay.com/itm/150688103750 If anybody wants one for a great price, they're welcome to message me.

I also have several perfectly functioning variocam timing actuators if anyone is interested in good parts.

I'll be posting more pictures soon.

Peter

Attached Images    

Last edited by Pkhoffman; 11-06-2011 at 12:41 AM. Reason: Adding a link
Old 11-04-2011, 08:07 AM
RobbC is infamous around these partsRobbC is infamous around these parts
That's very unfortunate man! Glad you got everything sorted out and working. I wish I had the know-how on pulling the engine myself to check out all the known issues for our engines.

Old 11-04-2011, 08:16 AM
tarzancoe is infamous around these parts
At least you were able to get it all back!

Old 11-05-2011, 09:23 AM
logray is infamous around these partslogray is infamous around these parts
Nice work Peter, do you still have the LN IMS bearing kit for sale?

Old 11-06-2011, 12:35 AM
Sorry, but I'm about to send it back to them, less the restocking fee. I suppose I would be open to selling for the same amount to save you a little money.

Old 11-06-2011, 12:37 AM
Originally Posted by RobbC
That's very unfortunate man! Glad you got everything sorted out and working. I wish I had the know-how on pulling the engine myself to check out all the known issues for our engines.
Thanks Rob! I'm fortunate to have a friend with more expertise than me. I've learned a lot through the process. It's actually very reasonable to switch out an engine in your own garage if you have a car jack, and atv jack (for the engine), and regular tools.

Last edited by Pkhoffman; 11-06-2011 at 12:43 AM.
Old 11-06-2011, 09:12 AM
PM sent about the IMSB. THanks

Old 11-06-2011, 10:38 AM
Sorry, not enough posts to PM!

Thanks for the offer, Logan. Fortunately it's only a 15% restocking fee making it $526.15 if I put it in the mail on Monday. http://www.pelicanparts.com/support/ReturnPolicy.htm If you pay for shipping, I still come out ahead. Would you do $545 delivered? I'll pay for shipping.

If I were in your position, I would probably want a picture of the receipt, the product, and my driver's license. If you want to move forward, I'll e-mail these photos. I can take payment via paypal.

Thanks, Peter

Old 11-06-2011, 12:01 PM
Hi Peter,

I just sent you another PM with my email address.

If you could send the pictures that would be great.

Let me know if you didn't get the email address and I can post it for you.

edit: and yes very interested!!!

Thanks!

Last edited by logray; 11-06-2011 at 12:04 PM.
Old 11-06-2011, 02:02 PM
Got your e-mail Logan, thanks. It's really unlikely that you'll actually need a new IMS. Odds are much better than 1 in 10. Still a 1 in 10 failure rate is no good for a car, hence all the worried posts online. I'm sorry, but I need to send it back. Unless you're planning in putting the bearing in no matter what your old one looks like, I need to get the money a little faster; I have a few purchases planned for the car that will take place after the refund.

All the best, Peter

Old 11-06-2011, 03:52 PM
Hi Peter.

Actually I've already installed an LN IMS bearing about a year and a half ago.

I recently tore my engine down for Nickies upgrade.

During tear down, I managed to damage the center support for the upgraded LN ceramic bearing.

So I extracted the bearing from the tube and sent it off to LN engineering. Charles is supposed to look at the bearing and advise whether I can re-use it or if I should replace it with a new one. He's out of the office until the week after next and will look at it then.

Are you sure I can't tempt you to wait one more week to get the refund (or for me to buy it from you if I end up needing it?)... more cash in your pocket than the restocking fee! Please?

Old 11-06-2011, 04:03 PM
Here's my tube, all lonely without it's bearing.

Old 11-06-2011, 11:35 PM
That's a great offer. I'll call Pelican tomorrow to make sure that they will accept a return that won't come in for at least another 2 weeks. If they're okay with it, I can wait until a week from Tuesday night.

Peter

(Need 15 posts to PM).

Old 11-07-2011, 05:04 AM
mikegr is infamous around these parts
Is it possible that the crack came from running reach? I think 996 mkI had some issues with the cylinder head anyway

Old 11-07-2011, 08:04 AM
In the OPs case the water pump failure caused a localized hotspot or just overheat condition in general and so the head cracked.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 1999 996 Garage cylinder head replacement.