996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

eibach sway bars

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 10:18 AM
geetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant future
eibach sway bars

I'm looking to switch to an thicker rear sway bar. Usage is for street only but I'm trying to dial out just a little understeer. I am going to keep the stock 23.1mm sway bars. That being said, has anyone switched just the rears to eibachs?
The factory rear is 18.5mm. M030 is 19.6mm nonadjustable(25% stiffer). I've been looking for these but it seems like no one wants to sell just the rears. Eibachs are 19mm (10% stiffer) but 3 way adjustable. H&R's are 23mm which seems to be way stiffer than my current 18.5's even though they are 3 way adjustable.
So, has anyone been running eibach rear sways only?

Old 11-12-2011, 05:06 PM
Optical TDI is infamous around these parts
I was using HR rear only with ROW M030 and it dialed out the understeer. But it just didn't feel right so I added the HR front and love the setup. Steering response improved acton. Rear is set at full stiff.

Old 11-13-2011, 09:49 AM
scantu is infamous around these parts
Looks like this guy sells them separated...

http://www.andysautosport.com/porsch...sway_bars/h&r/

Old 11-13-2011, 10:38 AM
geetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant future
I'm waiting for my eibach rears(backorder till next week). I have no intentions to replace the stock front ones so I didn't want to go too stiff with the rears. I know both H&R and Eibachs are adjustable but with H&R being 23mm's, I just think it'll be too stiff. So, I went with Eibachs which are 19mm's. We'll see how it goes.

Old 03-30-2012, 11:49 AM
jetskied is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Optical TDI
I was using HR rear only with ROW M030 and it dialed out the understeer. But it just didn't feel right so I added the HR front and love the setup. Steering response improved acton. Rear is set at full stiff.
Sorry to bring up an old thread, Optical what did not feel right when you added only the rear bar. I would imagine the 26mm H&R front would add back in more understeer. I was hoping you could share some of you experience with this set up as I'm trying to dail out understeer too. Do you track your car?

Old 03-30-2012, 08:02 PM
Optical TDI is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by jetskied
Sorry to bring up an old thread, Optical what did not feel right when you added only the rear bar. I would imagine the 26mm H&R front would add back in more understeer. I was hoping you could share some of you experience with this set up as I'm trying to dail out understeer too. Do you track your car?
During less spirited driving it was decent. The rear really was tightened up. However when corning hard and accelerating out of corners, it was really unbalanced. Felt snap oversteer a few times. Then I added the front bar and it was awesome. It felt more Cayman like with the steering...as much as a 996 can feel like a Cayman anyway.

At first I thought the rear only was the way to go, but when I added the front, it was SO much better.

Old 03-31-2012, 12:46 PM
I've been running the stock fronts and eibach rears for a good 7-8k now. I've had it initially in the middle but now have been running the rears at full stiff. I think it's just the right balance. Any stiffer would be too much. Turn in is so much easier like my old boxster.

Last edited by geetee; 04-03-2012 at 03:06 PM.
Old 04-03-2012, 02:56 AM
mikegr is infamous around these parts
Does a thicker sway bar reduce comfort on bumpy roads?

Old 04-03-2012, 09:34 AM
logray is infamous around these partslogray is infamous around these parts
Yes, the car will flex less side to side and thus tend to feel more harsh going over bumps.

Also with the eibachs I've noticed the steering is heavier, albeit the benefits while cornering far outweigh the ride comfort IMO.

Old 04-03-2012, 10:33 AM
khyber is infamous around these parts
I ran both bars with the rear set in the middle setting for about 20k miles, and I must say I loved the set up. As I progressed talent-wise I probably would have tightened up the rear but they definitely made the car feel very well balanced to me. I feel it's an extremely worthwhile suspension upgrade if you're not looking to spend a ton on coils or the like, definitely best bang for the buck.

Old 04-03-2012, 10:47 AM
gt3 bars or eibach?

Old 04-03-2012, 10:52 AM
khyber is infamous around these parts
I meant both Eibach front and rear bars.

-Max

Old 04-03-2012, 11:29 AM
Does anybody has installed gt3 bars? In a C4s?

Old 04-03-2012, 03:07 PM
Originally Posted by geetee
I've been running the stock fronts and eibach rears for a good 7-8k now. I've had it initially in the middle but now have been running the rears at full stiff. I think it's just the right balance. Any stiffer would be too much. Turn in is so much easier like my old boxster.
Correction. I returned back to middle on the rear eibachs. It started to feel like the rear was sliding around at high speeds so went back to middle. With full stiff on rear, I'm going to assume that you'll need to go eibach fronts also. I have no intensions to change the fronts so middle hole it is.

Old 04-04-2012, 07:38 AM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
One of the things I've done in the past running only rear aftermarket bar was to upgrade the front d cup bushings to poly. This would bring some of the "balance" back in certain cornering situations.

Btw, I might have an extra gt3 front bar for sale soon.