996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

What to do with wheels?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 06:17 AM
EHGray is a jewel in the roughEHGray is a jewel in the roughEHGray is a jewel in the rough
What to do with wheels?

Hey guys, has anyone painted, powder coated, or refinished these wheels. They were pretty roughed up when I purchased the car. I am thinking about polishing the lip and painting or powder coating the inner piece in black or gun metal grey. Any thoughts? Also If anyone could photo shop that, I don't know how to use the program, I would like to see what that would look like.

Old 11-09-2011, 09:20 AM
Daislandbrah is infamous around these parts
If you are set on those rims I would powder coat them black. That being said I searched Ebay and got a set od NC Forged Extreme 10's in a 19" with tires from LA Dismantlers for 1250 shipped. The stock twists just became track rims. I think our p cars are much sexier with aftermarket rims. That's just me.

Old 11-09-2011, 09:41 AM
iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !
All three are good options depending what direction you intend to take the wheels... Paint - I'd only advise this route if you're turning them into track wheels. There is specific 'wheel paint' which seems to hold up a bit better but buy a few extra cans as you'll want to touch them up on occasion. This is more a pain than it's worth if you intend to drive them on the street. Powdercoating is usually the most common route if you intend to change the color. Find a shop that does this often and you'll save yourself the headache of having them flake. Refurbishing is a good option assuming there isn't anything too crazy going on with them. Big chunks or dents on two piece wheels can be un-repairable, other than that they can usually be brought back to look like new. Figure somewhere in the 60-70 dollar/wheel range for powdercoating or refurb and paint can be as cheap as you'd like depending on the prep work and amount of paint you put on.

Good luck.

Old 11-09-2011, 11:46 AM
Byprodriver is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by EHGray
Hey guys, has anyone painted, powder coated, or refinished these wheels. They were pretty roughed up when I purchased the car. I am thinking about polishing the lip and painting or powder coating the inner piece in black or gun metal grey. Any thoughts? Also If anyone could photo shop that, I don't know how to use the program, I would like to see what that would look like.
As good as that would look those are pretty valuable wheels in stock form.

I would buy aftermarket wheels like you want & leave these stock as it's expensive to restore these properly. Wheel Enhancement does good work & great info by phone.

Old 11-09-2011, 12:15 PM
EHGray is a jewel in the roughEHGray is a jewel in the roughEHGray is a jewel in the rough
Thanks for the opinions guys. I really want to keep these wheels for now as there are other things on the car i want to put money into before after market wheels and new tires. I found a set on ebay that were refinished the factory color but with a polished lip heres the link to the pictures http://wheeldynamics.com/used/sport-...porsche_ad.jpg And I found a picture of someone who polished the lip and painted the center graphite. http://ec-dc.editboard.com/t3082-por...gnesium-wheels Please ignore the fact that the wheels are not on a Porsche. Out of these two options which do you guys think would look better.

Last edited by EHGray; 11-09-2011 at 12:16 PM. Reason: left out link
Old 11-09-2011, 01:20 PM
Its Kip is infamous around these parts
I like the factory silver better

Attached Images  
Old 11-09-2011, 04:13 PM
RobbC is infamous around these partsRobbC is infamous around these parts
Hey, that's not a bad idea at all! I like the second picture. I may do this on my car. That would look sick against white.

Old 11-09-2011, 04:33 PM
Thanks a bunch for editing that picture.

Old 11-09-2011, 04:40 PM
Former Vendor
LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !
I would refurbish them to the stock look.

We had these same wheels on our shop car and I just replaced them with some inexpensive OZ wheels and saved about 9lbs per wheel.

Old 11-09-2011, 04:46 PM
JSavinoJr has a spectacular aura aboutJSavinoJr has a spectacular aura aboutJSavinoJr has a spectacular aura about
I don't think I would go black. The exterior and interior color of your car would look better with silver IMO .

Old 11-09-2011, 05:56 PM
FLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by JSavinoJr
I don't think I would go black. The exterior and interior color of your car would look better with silver IMO .
Agreed, I'd powder coat the centers gold....

Old 11-10-2011, 09:32 AM
Former Vendor
EXOForged Wheels has a spectacular aura aboutEXOForged Wheels has a spectacular aura about
Your car looks great! In the future if you decide to go aftermarket with your wheels, I have several wheels that would really set your car off. Check us out and call me if you ever have any questions. 337.304.1905 www.exoforged.com

have a great weekend !