996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

I want a 996TT, But what about the C4 and C4S?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 02:29 PM
rroney is infamous around these parts
c4s

I agree with that. Great all around car, but not blindingly fast in a straight line to be sure.

Old 11-28-2011, 02:49 PM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
Yeah, I wouldn't try to drag race a Corvette in my C4S.

If straight line acceleration is one of my main criteria, I might consider buying a Corvette.

Old 11-28-2011, 03:38 PM
bhkb is infamous around these parts
It is still a sexy looking car

Old 11-28-2011, 06:29 PM
rotorite is infamous around these parts
You're in Edmonton? Awesome, me too! I actually got my first Porsche 996 4S a few weeks back and have been really happy with it. If speed is what you are after though (like push you in your seat power) the 4/4S may not do it for you. Its a great car. Definitely more car than I need. It handles like a dream. As for styling I do prefer the body of the 4S to the 4 though. The other perks of 4 vs 4S are nice too. Another note is I think since the 4S uses the turbo suspension, its a bit lower than the 4 as well. As for regretting getting a turbo vs 4S, not really much regret on my end. I figure without the turbo there is just less things to replace. Though from what I've read the turbos block is different and may be less susceptible to RMS failures. (Could be wrong here). As others have said, it isn't fast in a straight line till it picks up some speed but really isn't much of an issue with the crappy roads we have in Edmonton. Go test drive both (if they'll let you haha) and see which one you like better =). When I was looking at 996's though the turbos seemed like they were near the top of your budget. Good luck and hope to see you out there!

Old 11-28-2011, 06:53 PM
jeffk is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by dotframe
do you plan to track the car? If so are you experienced on the track or new?

I ask because I was in your same position not long ago and went with a C4S. I have had the car for 6 months and aside from the insurance cost difference, every time I saw a turbo that I could have afforded I would feel a bit of remorse.

Then I had my first HPDE on a great road course. It was there that I realized the C4S is so much more car than I need right now. Ever since that track day when I drive the C4S I am waaaaay more satisfied and happy with my purchase.

Not only would I likely have a very hard time keeping a TT on the track, I'd be even more nervous about mechanical issues while there. If my financial plans work out I'll likely just skip the TT and go straight for a GT3 at some point
I'm not sure where I would fit, I have taken 2 driving courses, for a total of 5 track days, at least 3 hours seat time a day, driving a Z06 Vette.
I did race my old Camaro SS out at the Calgary track a few times, was destroying Boxter times.
I would probably track the car a couple times a year. Once in Calgary and once on my travels to the states.

Originally Posted by Dennis C
The C4 is a narrow body. The C4S and the turbo are wide body cars. The C4S also has the same front and rear bumper covers as the turbo, while they are a little less aggressive on the C4. The C4S shares the turbo's suspension and brakes too.

I think 35,000 miles is on the low end. I'd be fine with that, or even with 50,000 miles.
Thanks, So no C4, have to be at least a C4S, love me the wide body.

Originally Posted by rroney
Agreed, skip the TT and go right to the GT3, especially for the track.
I really love the GT3, but just not in my budget right now.

Originally Posted by e90steve
The C4S is a slug straight line until you get to about 60. Top of 2nd gear and high end speeds is where this car shines. Yes the twisties are fun too.

The original poster seems like he wants fast off the line, that's why I made the 335i comparison. You dont expect it purely based on reputation and looks but driving both cars often back to back it is clear the BMW is faster off the line and prob up to around 100. After that it loses some steam where the 4s would keep pulling. The 4s will lose to most "fast" cars if you are racing light to light so don't expect to win many street races.

It's a fun car that i really have a passion for but it is by no means "fast" by today's standards.
I really want at least as fast as my TBSS, I want to be able to merge into small openings, I want to be able to make sure the ***** that tries to use the turn lane to go straight can't get in front of me and has to stop like the tool he is. Stuff like that.

Yeah, I wouldn't try to drag race a Corvette in my C4S.

If straight line acceleration is one of my main criteria, I might consider buying a Corvette.
I thought about a Vette, but at the end of the day you are still driving a Vette. I actually really like the look of the new ones, and can get a real nice one for my budget, probably save a lot of money on just about every aspect of owning too.
But it's not a Porsche. And while I haven't driven a 911, even the Cayman is much more fun to drive, even with lacking the sht eating grin acceleration of the Vette.
And I would get into a lot of trouble in a Vette, self control and patients are not my strong points. lol

Old 11-28-2011, 07:42 PM
Katmanz is infamous around these parts
As a c4s owner and having driven the 996tt and 997tt u won't regret either one. I wanted to trade my c4s but changed my mind nothing like the sound of a NA engine exhaust Track is where this car shines. When u r breaking half the distance as others and the car is on rails u r much quicker then others pushing a lot more hp. We all think are cars are slow the fact is we can't drive put a pro in a c4s and ourselves in a tt you'll get embarrassed. Learn to drive first then move onto something quicker.

Old 11-28-2011, 09:56 PM
Originally Posted by rotorite
You're in Edmonton? Awesome, me too! I actually got my first Porsche 996 4S a few weeks back and have been really happy with it. If speed is what you are after though (like push you in your seat power) the 4/4S may not do it for you. Its a great car. Definitely more car than I need. It handles like a dream. As for styling I do prefer the body of the 4S to the 4 though. The other perks of 4 vs 4S are nice too. Another note is I think since the 4S uses the turbo suspension, its a bit lower than the 4 as well. As for regretting getting a turbo vs 4S, not really much regret on my end. I figure without the turbo there is just less things to replace. Though from what I've read the turbos block is different and may be less susceptible to RMS failures. (Could be wrong here). As others have said, it isn't fast in a straight line till it picks up some speed but really isn't much of an issue with the crappy roads we have in Edmonton. Go test drive both (if they'll let you haha) and see which one you like better =). When I was looking at 996's though the turbos seemed like they were near the top of your budget. Good luck and hope to see you out there!
Yes Edmonton.
I know our roads are not the greatest, but can't win them all. lol. I think I will just look for a turbo and 4S and just see what one I find that is nicer.

The dealer here is a bunch of ******. Just because I don't roll up in a Porsche wearing a 2000$ suit I get treated like I can't afford one so I can't even get any real help.

Old 11-28-2011, 11:08 PM
producerjohn has much to be proud ofproducerjohn has much to be proud ofproducerjohn has much to be proud ofproducerjohn has much to be proud ofproducerjohn has much to be proud ofproducerjohn has much to be proud ofproducerjohn has much to be proud ofproducerjohn has much to be proud ofproducerjohn has much to be proud of
The Turbo is not susceptible to the dreaded IMS failure of the na 996's.

I went from a c4s to a turbo and the tt is just a whole other world of fast. C4s is a fantastic car and I frankly prefer the look, but no comparison to the tt.

Good luck!

Old 11-28-2011, 11:12 PM
rotorite is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by jeffk
Yes Edmonton.
I know our roads are not the greatest, but can't win them all. lol. I think I will just look for a turbo and 4S and just see what one I find that is nicer.

The dealer here is a bunch of ******. Just because I don't roll up in a Porsche wearing a 2000$ suit I get treated like I can't afford one so I can't even get any real help.
Yeah I can see that =( well good luck. I remember when I was looking a few weeks back there was a yellow 04 vert (but I didnt like the idea of a vert and having to get a hard top) and a 01 turbo also yellow in Edmonton.

Old 11-29-2011, 01:22 AM
mikegr is infamous around these parts
My suggestion is to go for manual either choice you make. 4s is the slowest 996 so a Tip will make her even slower. Turbo is a pure high performance car and needs only sophisticated gearbox like PDK which is not avalaible, so manual again...

Old 11-29-2011, 03:22 AM
Originally Posted by producerjohn
The Turbo is not susceptible to the dreaded IMS failure of the na 996's.

I went from a c4s to a turbo and the tt is just a whole other world of fast. C4s is a fantastic car and I frankly prefer the look, but no comparison to the tt.

Good luck!
Is the turbo susceptible to other issues?

Originally Posted by rotorite
Yeah I can see that =( well good luck. I remember when I was looking a few weeks back there was a yellow 04 vert (but I didnt like the idea of a vert and having to get a hard top) and a 01 turbo also yellow in Edmonton.
Do you remember how much the 01 turbo was? I'll have to stop in after work today.

Originally Posted by mikegr
My suggestion is to go for manual either choice you make. 4s is the slowest 996 so a Tip will make her even slower. Turbo is a pure high performance car and needs only sophisticated gearbox like PDK which is not avalaible, so manual again...
Manual is my preference, but not sure how important it is.

Old 11-29-2011, 09:28 AM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by mikegr
I agree on the manual transmission being the way to go. PDK is great, but you have to step up to a 997 for that.

The 4S is the "slowest" in straight line acceleration due to the added weight of the AWD system, heavier body, etc. However, the bigger brakes and tires, AWD system and the upgraded suspension can provide advantages on a tight road course. I believe Top Gear ran a comparison of a 997 C2 and a C4 (I realize they are 997 and not 996 cars, but it makes the same point) and the C4 was faster. They attributed it to the Carrera 4 being able to put the power down more effectively and pull the car out of corners better. FWIW, they did prefer the feeling of the lighter C2 on the track. In any case, we're talking about tenths of a second here. It's not a huge diffference until you move up to the turbo.

If you're planning to drive your Porsche on the track on a regular basis, then a GT3 or a C2 are probably the way to go. If you want straight line acceleration, then a turbo is the way to go. If you want the best looking of the bunch, then the C4S is the way to go. That's my humble opinion...

Old 11-29-2011, 12:39 PM
Altaran is infamous around these parts
Always boils down to what you want most in the car...

If you want a decent car with good power, you can't go wrong with the C4S. I had one and I never regretted it.

However, if you want power, then buy a Turbo right away. Don't buy a Carrera-block-car with the intent of tuning it to high HP. Those engines were designed for low production costs, not for serious tracking or high performance. Hence the lack of a real dry sump system among other things. If you track, a GT1-block engine is the way to go, won't blow up as fast, but you will pay more for an oil change.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 11-29-2011, 01:02 PM
mikegr is infamous around these parts
I agree on the manual transmission being the way to go. PDK is great, but you have to step up to a 997 for that.

The 4S is the "slowest" in straight line acceleration due to the added weight of the AWD system, heavier body, etc. However, the bigger brakes and tires, AWD system and the upgraded suspension can provide advantages on a tight road course. I believe Top Gear ran a comparison of a 997 C2 and a C4 (I realize they are 997 and not 996 cars, but it makes the same point) and the C4 was faster. They attributed it to the Carrera 4 being able to put the power down more effectively and pull the car out of corners better. FWIW, they did prefer the feeling of the lighter C2 on the track. In any case, we're talking about tenths of a second here. It's not a huge diffference until you move up to the turbo.

If you're planning to drive your Porsche on the track on a regular basis, then a GT3 or a C2 are probably the way to go. If you want straight line acceleration, then a turbo is the way to go. If you want the best looking of the bunch, then the C4S is the way to go. That's my humble opinion...
I agree on everything except that 996TT is fast on track too...

Old 12-01-2011, 08:12 AM
buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !
def go for the turbo, especially if you like modding cars for more power, big power can be gotten from the turbo for relatively cheap money compared to what you would get from a n/a car

i drove a c4s then drove the turbo, i bought a turbo, i made the correct decision for me

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I want a 996TT, But what about the C4 and C4S?