996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

I want a 996TT, But what about the C4 and C4S?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 10:20 AM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by mikegr
I agree on everything except that 996TT is fast on track too...
Absolutely. The 996 TT is a beast on the track. I only made my comment because some people prefer the lighter feeling of the RWD C2.

Old 12-04-2011, 02:35 AM
Max S is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by e90steve
I have a C4S. I also have a BMW 335i sedan.

In 100% honesty, the C4S is the same if not a bit slower straight line than my 335i. If big power with the potential for upgrades is what you are after, the Turbo is what you need.
And here is the "answer" (not a 4S, but still)...

By the way, I am happy with my 4S (it's fast enough for me & where I drive) and would not consider a TT.

Old 12-04-2011, 08:01 AM
hyper911 is infamous around these partshyper911 is infamous around these parts
porsche actually pulled him pretty good considering the bmws trap 105 in the quarter and have twin turbos and that it was a tiptronic porsche which are considerably slower ! throw some corners at it and the 996 would destroy it.

Last edited by hyper911; 12-04-2011 at 08:13 AM.
Old 12-04-2011, 05:36 PM
e90steve is infamous around these parts
Pretty much what I said. That race was from a roll and well into the band where I described the porsche pulls best.

If it were from a dig 0-60 in my opinion and personal experience, it's a drivers race. They are actually very similar in straight line performance, this is perhaps why I was disappointed when I purchased my 4S.

But..... for 700 bucks buy the cobb accessport and add over 100HP to the BMW. Bye bye 996. Not trying to start anything, just my opinion and experience from owning both cars and driving them pretty much every other day.

Also not to nitpick or anything, but if its a newer 335i it's going to be slower. They switched in 09 to a different turbo (single) that slowed the car down significantly. The fastest of all the 335's are the 07/8 automatic sedans launched from a dig in manual 2nd gear, which happens to be what I have.

Last edited by e90steve; 12-04-2011 at 05:48 PM.
Old 12-04-2011, 06:21 PM
i dont doubt it. you can easily tune turbo cars, three series or not. If you want ultimate hiway power go 996 turbo. I am happy with my c4s but see myself stepping up to a turbo car.

Old 12-04-2011, 08:34 PM
vv23 has a spectacular aura aboutvv23 has a spectacular aura about
I am in Edmonton and I own a 996 Turbo...i've driven the C4S and its not even close in terms of performance vs the turbo.

My advice is spend the bit more and get the turbo, you won't look back.

Old 12-07-2011, 03:59 PM
navalarch is infamous around these parts
Has anyone tried Vivid Racing's turbo for the 996. It's a bit pricey (around 10k USD) for the kit. Vivid added around 150 Hp at the wheels with theirs.

I like the handling of my 2003 C4S but another 150 hp would be fun.

Old 12-08-2011, 07:23 AM
mikegr is infamous around these parts
Twin Turbo is not just a C4S with turbos. It has GT1 block and better upgrade potentials.
I think an full exhaust replacement and an ECU remap is the best option for a C4S

Old 12-08-2011, 07:26 AM
mjb2448 is infamous around these parts
When you look at the nether regions of your speedometer imagine just how many times a year you will actually get to three digits....even for a few seconds and then ask yourself is it really worth it or am I suffering from fear of limits or range anxiety of the soul. It's like the Rolex line of watches that will allow you to dive a gas mixture to ungodly depths......Really ?

Old 12-08-2011, 07:47 AM
do not turbo your c4s, cheaper to just sell and get the entire package in a turbo.
Agree with the above, but it is fun for a few seconds.
exhaust,chip and plenum then focus on driver mods/handling.

Old 12-08-2011, 09:28 AM
mikegr is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by mjb2448
When you look at the nether regions of your speedometer imagine just how many times a year you will actually get to three digits....even for a few seconds and then ask yourself is it really worth it or am I suffering from fear of limits or range anxiety of the soul. It's like the Rolex line of watches that will allow you to dive a gas mixture to ungodly depths......Really ?
What's really worth on these cars actually is how you get into three digits speed...Otherwise you buy an mx5 and enjoy top speed for a lot less...

Old 12-09-2011, 12:22 PM
Simi_996 is infamous around these partsSimi_996 is infamous around these parts
Buy a 996TT. GT1 block, more power, and next step up is GT2/GT3 (which are still pretty expensive). You buy anything less, you will always think about if you should've went with the TT. I still ask myself if I should've plopped down an extra $20K for a GT2...waaay too much money so at least I know it wouldn't happen. However, price difference between a C4S and TT are much closer. Cars are like computers...buy the best you can afford and never look back. Very few (if any) will ever say, "I should've bought a C4S" after they bought a TT...but many will say/think they should've bought a TT after buying a C4S.

One more comment that might help...if you were to buy a 3 series...would you buy a 335 or the lesser one (325/8?)? Or a 4 cyl Camry or V6? I know I would be the one to buy the car with the higher HP engine.

Old 12-09-2011, 12:49 PM
Lennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by rotorite
You're in Edmonton? Awesome, me too! I actually got my first Porsche 996 4S a few weeks back and have been really happy with it. If speed is what you are after though (like push you in your seat power) the 4/4S may not do it for you. Its a great car. Definitely more car than I need. It handles like a dream. As for styling I do prefer the body of the 4S to the 4 though. The other perks of 4 vs 4S are nice too. Another note is I think since the 4S uses the turbo suspension, its a bit lower than the 4 as well. As for regretting getting a turbo vs 4S, not really much regret on my end. I figure without the turbo there is just less things to replace. Though from what I've read the turbos block is different and may be less susceptible to RMS failures. (Could be wrong here). As others have said, it isn't fast in a straight line till it picks up some speed but really isn't much of an issue with the crappy roads we have in Edmonton. Go test drive both (if they'll let you haha) and see which one you like better =). When I was looking at 996's though the turbos seemed like they were near the top of your budget. Good luck and hope to see you out there!

nope your right. Go with the turbo, there is no comparison between the two if you want a performance oriented car. If you are just gonna bs and cruise around in it then the 4 is more car than needed.

Old 12-10-2011, 08:24 AM
mjb2448 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Lennon31987
nope your right. Go with the turbo, there is no comparison between the two if you want a performance oriented car. If you are just gonna bs and cruise around in it then the 4 is more car than needed.
These are all performance oriented cars. Unless you have a dedicated track weapon most of the time it's all BS and cruising around, with the occasional infusion of "Ricky Racer" on the curves of some LEO free desolated strip of asphalt. Most are never taken to their full potential. What you are paying for is bragging rights for the upper tier of the marque and the psyche stroking satisfaction that you....yes you... are driving The Deus Ex Machina. Until something bigger and better slides up next to you and you find yourself whispering " At least I didn't buy a 4S"

Old 12-10-2011, 08:38 AM
GCB
GCB is infamous around these parts
its great that you have the opportunity to even make a decision as to which Porsche to get...but as they say, 'get the newest one you can afford'

if your budget is what it is.... get the most you can in a non turbo (my 2cents)...othewise you'll be getting a considerably older 911 just to have a turbo.... you have to also then consider the maintenance on these turbos...which are more expensive in general.

You can get a several year newer 911-S for the same coin. iF the winter driving is a concern then of course look for a C4-S.

As great as a turbo would be... your budget is going to put you in a older model which might (or might not) be what you want

again... my 2 cents...

good luck...either way you can't go wrong in the end

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I want a 996TT, But what about the C4 and C4S?