996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

I want a 996TT, But what about the C4 and C4S?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 01:17 PM
Daislandbrah is infamous around these parts
I am 35 and just purchased my first 911 at the beginning of the year. It was a 2000 c2 with 45,000. Aero kit and other Brumos doll accessories. I truly enjoy the car but it needs more. I can take a 335xi on the interstate. And 3 series other than M3 are girl cars. Sorry. Turbo is the only way to go in your situation. If you are 28 and buyin a 911 you obviously don't have a spouse to tell you no. Get the turbo before that happens. Get the turbo because the block is better. I have put 15,000 miles on my car this year as it is my daily driver and performs just fine as that. The RMS/IMS failure only occurs in less than 5% of cars and all you hear is the horror stories. I was cautious for about 6 months after reading the carnage. I drive the **** out of it as it is still only a car at the end of the day. My car had an update at 36000 but you never know. If you have to drive it like a girl then you probably really can't afford it, that's my philosophy. Get the turbo and drive the hell out of it. You only want it for 30k miles, you will have better resale with a tt. Much better to sell that a c4s. If you don't get the tt you will end up like me, why didn't I just....?! You will eventually want more from a c4s and it will cost you dearly to even attempt to get the tt numbers. Just buy the tt. Man UP !

Old 12-15-2011, 09:03 AM
Lennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by mjb2448
These are all performance oriented cars. Unless you have a dedicated track weapon most of the time it's all BS and cruising around, with the occasional infusion of "Ricky Racer" on the curves of some LEO free desolated strip of asphalt. Most are never taken to their full potential. What you are paying for is bragging rights for the upper tier of the marque and the psyche stroking satisfaction that you....yes you... are driving The Deus Ex Machina. Until something bigger and better slides up next to you and you find yourself whispering " At least I didn't buy a 4S"

Great thing about the turbo tho, you just change up the snails and then it doesn't matter what slides up next to you, you find yourself whispering "this should be fun"

Old 12-15-2011, 09:30 AM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
If your rationale for purchasing a sports car is to be able to beat a BMW in a street race, then save yourself some trouble and buy a Corvette or perhaps a used Dodge Viper. Turbocharged or supercharged Corvettes are insanely fast and easy to modify. You might also consider a modified Subaru WRX Sti. They are very fast.

The true joy of Porsche ownership doesn't really come from beating other cars in street races...

Old 12-15-2011, 09:50 AM
Simi_996 is infamous around these partsSimi_996 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Dennis C
If your rationale for purchasing a sports car is to be able to beat a BMW in a street race, then save yourself some trouble and buy a Corvette or perhaps a used Dodge Viper. Turbocharged or supercharged Corvettes are insanely fast and easy to modify. You might also consider a modified Subaru WRX Sti. They are very fast.
So true...but Corvettes and Vipers don't have back seats (I have two kids) and Subaru WRXs are just glorified Imprezas.

Dennis is right...speed isn't everything. There WILL be people with faster cars regardless of what you buy.

Old 12-15-2011, 10:38 AM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
So... it sounds like the feeling on this board is that if you want a Porsche and your main objective is speed and/or acceleration vs. other cars, then you should buy a 996 TT. If your main reason for purchasing a Porsche is different than this, then you should consider a C4 or a C4S also, particularly if you're looking to stay within a certain budget.

Old 12-16-2011, 12:44 PM
dotframe is infamous around these parts
"There WILL be people with faster cars regardless of what you buy."

Best post in this thread

Old 12-16-2011, 06:47 PM
It's true.

The funny thing is that driving instructions from a professional on the track would be better for most people than a faster car.

Old 12-17-2011, 08:41 AM
mjb2448 is infamous around these parts
"Turbo ? Son you can"t handle the 4s"

Attached Images  
Old 12-17-2011, 10:55 PM
dotframe is infamous around these parts
Dennis I never would have believed that before my first HPDE but it is so true!

Old 12-19-2011, 10:50 AM
Originally Posted by dotframe
Dennis I never would have believed that before my first HPDE but it is so true!
Absolutely.

I have a friend that attended a Porsche event, and to make that point they started the event by having the instructors run the course in V6 Cayennes to set a benchmark. Their initial times in the Cayennes were better than everybody else's times in Carreras - by a significant amount!