996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

I want a 996TT, But what about the C4 and C4S?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 02:10 AM
jeffk is infamous around these parts
I want a 996TT, But what about the C4 and C4S?

So looking for a 911. I have to say I have never driven a 911, just a boxter and cayman. I've wanted a 996 since 98.

I'm 28, and like power, Right now I have a Trailblazer SS, 6L with 400+ hp. It's fun, but I want more. And figure now is my time to buy.

Being in Canada I think AWD would be nice to have.
Now I have a budget of 50k but less it better.

I figured I can get a new and lower mileage C4 or C4S then I can TT, and still save some money.

So power wise/reliability/cost of ownership/etc. Is the C4 or C4S a better buy?
Anyone regret not having the power of the turbo? How much faster is the Turbo?

So if this post is a little random.

Old 11-27-2011, 06:03 AM
e90steve is infamous around these parts
I have a C4S. I also have a BMW 335i sedan.

In 100% honesty, the C4S is the same if not a bit slower straight line than my 335i. If big power with the potential for upgrades is what you are after, the Turbo is what you need.

Old 11-27-2011, 06:47 AM
jhthornley is a glorious beacon of lightjhthornley is a glorious beacon of lightjhthornley is a glorious beacon of lightjhthornley is a glorious beacon of lightjhthornley is a glorious beacon of lightjhthornley is a glorious beacon of light
from being a lurker on here for quite a while, sounds like you'll be disappointed w/ anything less than the turbo

Old 11-27-2011, 08:18 AM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
I have no regrets about buying my C4S - it's fast enough for me. I love the car.

From your post though, it sounds like you should get a turbo.

Also, proper winter tires make a bigger difference on the 996 in the snow than the AWD system. It's not as advanced as the systems in Audi vehicles.

Old 11-27-2011, 10:12 AM
jeffk is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by e90steve

In 100% honesty, the C4S is the same if not a bit slower straight line than my 335i. If big power with the potential for upgrades is what you are after, the Turbo is what you need.
The 335 is 0-60 in under 5 seconds, which is faster then my TBSS.
From what I can see the 02ish C4 is 4.5 seconds, 01 turbo is 3.7.

I want to say both are fast enough, but it's real tough.

Originally Posted by jhthornley
from being a lurker on here for quite a while, sounds like you'll be disappointed w/ anything less than the turbo
I have had my heart set on a turbo for years, but then I never really wanted my TBSS, but I really like it. I needed something to pull my boat, but now keeping the boat at the lake lot. So it's car time.

Originally Posted by Psycho Sid
Well that's not a bad choice to have

You should drive both and make decision after, that said... a decent turbo in Canada will set you back at least $70 K.
A similar condition C4S will cost ya about $50 K, so that's a big difference.
If ya go to the States the prices are about $15 to $20 K lower, but you've gottto deal with import-tax, transport, warranty transfer, travel cost, etc. etc.

One thing you should know, a 911 is not about straight-line power.
It's about handling, cornering speeds, grip etc, the power is derived through more than just HP it's done by the gearing, handling characteristics (and having allot of weight over the rear axle ).

It's also not a means of transportation... for that there's a ton of other reliable cars out there.
A Porsche is an ego product...
Something that will put smile on your face and make you go get milk the long way round
It's something which will give you a sense of accomplishment and pride of ownership.

Not the best car for Canadian winters though... I mean you can but should you!

Good luck!!

Sid.
I have a work vehicle, so I am guessing I would put on about 7000 miles a year, and 2000 of those will be to Lake Havasu and back.

The sales guys at Porsche here are a bunch of tools, they want money down and a bunch of other things to test drive a car. Stupid monkeys lost a Cayenne sale to a Chevy TBSS 4 years ago because I felt like they were treating me like a punk. I dress nice, but look 20, I'm 28.
But I really should head out there again, maybe take my old mans new AMG.

And I know it's more then straight line, I had my old Camaro (96SS, 600hp at the wheels) but on the highway it seemed 911's were not much slower despite a serious HP difference. And I am getting older, I really enjoy driving the C63 AMG, but it has serious power, I liked his 08 C350 too though.
And really when do you get the chance to use all the power anyways.

I have been looking US and CDN. Bringing it up from the US costs me about 16% over the sticker. 5% GST, 6% duty, 5% exchange, and really 2% for the bank to make my CDN money US. Still trying to figure out how to register it to my place in Havasu, lol.

Originally Posted by Dennis C
I have no regrets about buying my C4S - it's fast enough for me. I love the car.

From your post though, it sounds like you should get a turbo.

Also, proper winter tires make a bigger difference on the 996 in the snow than the AWD system. It's not as advanced as the systems in Audi vehicles.
I run winters on everything, AWD helps you go, but not stop.
I've driven RWD only for 12 years. My work Jeep has 4WD, but almost never use it. Hell I drove my 600hp Camaro through a winter with drag radials on it for a winter. Still no idea how I didn't die, I do remember lots of 3rd gear starts though. And when clearance is an issue I just grab my work Jeep.
So even a crappy AWD has to be better then RWD? Although thinking about it now I shouldn't limit myself to the AWD maybe.

I really should just get the turbo, sigh, I was hoping to save some money, lol.
Is it cheaper to own a non turbo?

I really need to drive one. I was happy with the performance of the 08 Cayman S I drove this summer, just not crazy on the look of the tail of them.

Is the body the same on the C4(s) and the turbo? Or is the turbo wider?
And how many miles is too many? I'm going to keep the car for probably 5 years, 35,000 miles (not km), should be in a place where I could get a couple year old Turbo by that point. Rather then almost 10 years old.

Last edited by jeffk; 11-27-2011 at 10:20 AM.
Old 11-27-2011, 11:06 AM
hhazrati is infamous around these parts
Just my $0.04 worth (inflation)

I know there will be many an arguments for either side.............BUT
I don't think ANY TT owner would say "man, I should have bought a C4S"

Old 11-27-2011, 11:19 AM
tkuwaha is infamous around these parts
If you like power, get the Turbo. You'll end up spending more trying make a C4/C4S perform at the same level as a stock Turbo.

Old 11-27-2011, 12:42 PM
paulycw is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by jeffk
So looking for a 911. I have to say I have never driven a 911, just a boxter and cayman. I've wanted a 996 since 98.

I'm 28, and like power, Right now I have a Trailblazer SS, 6L with 400+ hp. It's fun, but I want more. And figure now is my time to buy.

Being in Canada I think AWD would be nice to have.
Now I have a budget of 50k but less it better.

I figured I can get a new and lower mileage C4 or C4S then I can TT, and still save some money.

So power wise/reliability/cost of ownership/etc. Is the C4 or C4S a better buy?
Anyone regret not having the power of the turbo? How much faster is the Turbo?

So if this post is a little random.
I had a C2 and now a 996TT. The power difference is astounding when stock, even larger when the TT is tuned. The engine in the turbo is also more reliable than the C2 or C4 having been race tested.

You can get a good turbo in the US for mid 40's with low miles. You can get it for less if you are willing to compromise on miles and condition.

The C4S is a fine and balanced car, but if you are looking for power look at the TT.

Old 11-27-2011, 01:05 PM
Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !
Get the turbo! If you go for the C4, you will always be wondering if you made the right move. If you have the turbo, you won't look back.

Old 11-28-2011, 01:40 AM
mikegr is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by e90steve

Your 335 may be faster only on a straight line...

Old 11-28-2011, 02:58 AM
porschefreak04 is just really niceporschefreak04 is just really niceporschefreak04 is just really niceporschefreak04 is just really niceporschefreak04 is just really nice
I was actually looking to buy a 996 4s a few months back and went for a test drive at my Porsche dealer. Everything about the car was perfect, except the color.

The salesman convinced me to drive a 996 turbo in my color. I was blown away how fast the turbo was.

Both cars are amazing imo. I was looking for an awd 911 because I frequent mountain areas and cold climates. Since the price difference between a used 4s and turbo in the U.S. is around $8k give or take, I decided that its better to save up for the turbo.

The 4s is a great car and no doubt you will enjoy it if thats the choice you make, but I say live life with no regrets. Get the Turbo and don't look back

Old 11-28-2011, 07:19 AM
dotframe is infamous around these parts
do you plan to track the car? If so are you experienced on the track or new?

I ask because I was in your same position not long ago and went with a C4S. I have had the car for 6 months and aside from the insurance cost difference, every time I saw a turbo that I could have afforded I would feel a bit of remorse.

Then I had my first HPDE on a great road course. It was there that I realized the C4S is so much more car than I need right now. Ever since that track day when I drive the C4S I am waaaaay more satisfied and happy with my purchase.

Not only would I likely have a very hard time keeping a TT on the track, I'd be even more nervous about mechanical issues while there. If my financial plans work out I'll likely just skip the TT and go straight for a GT3 at some point

Last edited by dotframe; 11-28-2011 at 07:23 AM.
Old 11-28-2011, 12:59 PM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by jeffk
Is the body the same on the C4(s) and the turbo? Or is the turbo wider?
And how many miles is too many? I'm going to keep the car for probably 5 years, 35,000 miles (not km), should be in a place where I could get a couple year old Turbo by that point. Rather then almost 10 years old.
The C4 is a narrow body. The C4S and the turbo are wide body cars. The C4S also has the same front and rear bumper covers as the turbo, while they are a little less aggressive on the C4. The C4S shares the turbo's suspension and brakes too.

I think 35,000 miles is on the low end. I'd be fine with that, or even with 50,000 miles.

Old 11-28-2011, 01:01 PM
rroney is infamous around these parts
c4s

Agreed, skip the TT and go right to the GT3, especially for the track.

Old 11-28-2011, 02:25 PM
e90steve is infamous around these parts
The C4S is a slug straight line until you get to about 60. Top of 2nd gear and high end speeds is where this car shines. Yes the twisties are fun too.

The original poster seems like he wants fast off the line, that's why I made the 335i comparison. You dont expect it purely based on reputation and looks but driving both cars often back to back it is clear the BMW is faster off the line and prob up to around 100. After that it loses some steam where the 4s would keep pulling. The 4s will lose to most "fast" cars if you are racing light to light so don't expect to win many street races.

It's a fun car that i really have a passion for but it is by no means "fast" by today's standards.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I want a 996TT, But what about the C4 and C4S?