996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Porsche 996 in-dash cup holders

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 03:02 PM
carxfrog is infamous around these parts
Porsche 996 in-dash cup holders

I would like to replace the cup holders with replacements. They are the cartridge type. So it seems fairly easy - but I can't get the old ones out. Can someone please supply the answer? Thanks.

Old 12-05-2011, 03:18 PM
function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !
I think you have to remove the plastic horseshoe, the center two A/C vents, and then a few screws. Replacement cups holders run around $250.

Old 12-05-2011, 04:37 PM
Porsche Pilot has a spectacular aura aboutPorsche Pilot has a spectacular aura aboutPorsche Pilot has a spectacular aura about
If you are talking about the two square cupholders, I just installed these in my 996. To remove, pop off the trim pieces on the side that hold the lock switch, wiper delay, etc. They just pop off with a little prying. There is a square trim piece surrounding the cup holders. It pops off very easily. The whole unit is held in by a couple of screws on all four corners. It should then just slide out with a bit of jiggling.

Old 12-05-2011, 07:47 PM
Cup Holders

Porsche Pilot, actually I didn't have to resort to taking out the vents. So, I did remove the two cup holder unit - but I only have to replace one of the cartridges - and that is the rub. It is like a plastic puzzle - and I stink at those. So what is the secret to unlocking the plastic box - to get out the one cartridge so I can replace it with the new cup cartridge? And to think I can repair computer networks and build them from scratch. These little things drive me to corner faster!

Old 12-06-2011, 05:40 AM
Porsche Pilot has a spectacular aura aboutPorsche Pilot has a spectacular aura aboutPorsche Pilot has a spectacular aura about
A puzzle is right. The individual units are held in the frame with plastic clips. If you have the whole unit out, I found it easier to kinda twist the holder out of the middle plastic clips...if that makes sense. They are L shaped looking things. It just takes a bit of twisting and pyring the thing out. It is hard to describe without having it in my hand but just keep pushing/twisting/pulling and it should pop on out.

Old 12-06-2011, 09:11 AM
Success - cup holder cartridge

I have attached a picture. The cup cartridge on the right is being removed. Simply bang the front part on a hard surface - I used my kitchen table - and it pops out on the 30th try.

Attached Images  
Old 12-06-2011, 10:45 AM
You should have seen me trying to put the damn thing together without instructions. How something so apparently simple will drive ya nuts. Glad you got it all sorted!