996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Newb Porsche owner..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 07:53 AM
mikegr is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by wyovino
The term "poser" gets tossed around far too frequently on these boards. Calling someone a poser for deploying his oem spoiler is ludicrous. No one calls people with aero kits or other body mods posers, so why would that qualify? People need to relax and enjoy their own cars.
what about a BMW 318 look M3?

Old 12-30-2011, 09:53 AM
Gonzo911 is infamous around these parts
Wyovino...just to clarify, I personally don't give a hoot what anyone does with their own car, just thought I would let other newbies know what the general consesus of other owners seems to be. Its kind of like having a bad haircut. You may like it, but you should really know that everyone else is making fun of you.

Old 12-30-2011, 12:00 PM
wyovino is a jewel in the roughwyovino is a jewel in the roughwyovino is a jewel in the rough
I don't want to drag this out, but I don't think it's a "general consensus of other owners" that use of your OEM spoiler makes you a poser. Regarding haircuts; if you're not my wife or mother, I think opinions are best kept to oneself unless specifically asked to comment.

Someone may introduce himself here and show a picture of his prized green, orange, red, and pink 996 with paisley wheels. If you like it - let him know. If you don't - say nothing unless he has asked for opinions.

Old 12-30-2011, 07:41 PM
scantu is infamous around these parts
Sounds like with Wyo's extremely defensive feelings about the rear spoiler thing....he pops it up as soon as he gets rolling... RELAX DUDE....

Old 12-30-2011, 08:03 PM
wyovino is a jewel in the roughwyovino is a jewel in the roughwyovino is a jewel in the rough
No, i never do. I'm just tired of seeing negative comments where none is warranted. As most older people know, when you have nothing good to say, it's best to keep your mouth shut. The "poser" comment really ticks me off. Couldn't that be said about anyone who didn't buy his car new?

Btw scantu - i saw a thread you started about wanting to change your mk1 front end to an mk2. Seems like someone protests too much.

Before this gets out of hand. My point is this: don't worry about what others do to their cars and don't worry about what others think about your car. These are great cars...enjoy them.

Last edited by wyovino; 12-30-2011 at 08:46 PM.
Old 01-05-2012, 12:25 AM
mavila is a glorious beacon of lightmavila is a glorious beacon of lightmavila is a glorious beacon of lightmavila is a glorious beacon of lightmavila is a glorious beacon of lightmavila is a glorious beacon of light
So where do most people get OEM or OEM-quality replacement parts? Last week my elderly aunt broke off the little plastic piece that covers the seat hinge at the bottom when she stepped on it trying to climb into the back seat (my disabled mother was actually in the front seat so there was no other choice but to put her in back). The center console how has more scrapes and nicks than I'd like. The rear spoiler hasn't worked for a while. Now the cabriolet top has stopped working too. Would like to get these things rectified without it costing a fortune, but not sure that's possible.

Old 01-05-2012, 08:28 AM
MalcolmV is infamous around these parts
There must be lots of Indy shops in the bay area. I would also join your local Porsche club, invaluable for finding the best shops and networking with other Porsche owners. I have used a few of the sponsors on this site for parts and had no problems. You may also find unusual parts at local dismantlers.

Old 01-05-2012, 07:15 PM
RugRunner is infamous around these parts
Gonzo's comment #2 is awesome, , but so true. These things make all kinds of weird noises. I have a 2003 911 with 24,500 miles. It has a new LNE IMS, RMS, etc etc and I swear I hear something new all the time...or maybe I should drive it more than once every 2 weeks :-)

Old 01-06-2012, 11:36 AM
Tmainevent is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Gonzo911
I have owned my MY03 Cab, 47k miles when I got it, for all of 5 months now, so as a very new owner, I thought I would save you some time and share some things I have learned from the awesome experience of owning my first 996. By the way...99% of this came from these great Porsche Forums!

Please feel free to add on.

1. They smell funny. Whether it is bits of burning tire on the exhaust or cosmoline (look it up), they smell like burning oil/rubber even after a short drive. The consensus is this is perfectly normal (some even call it "Porsche Perfume") so you can quit worrying. Your engine is not about to blow up.

2. After a few weeks you will begin to think something is wrong with your car. It is not as quick as it used to be. Is it a major engine problem? Do I already need to replace the plugs, coils, throttle body etc? Probably not. You are just getting used to the car. It only feels slower. You will now start thinking about getting that turbo.

3. IMS, RMS. You will no doubt read all about these two common failures. Without jinxing myself, it can happen anytime. But...it doesn't appear to be as prolific as you would be led to believe. There are things you can do to add peace of mind (replace the IMS bearing, install the new IMS Guardian) etc., but remember, all cars have been known to have engines blow up. Ours are just more expensive to replace.

4. If you have a 6-spd (mine does...so no tips on tips here), you will up shift at a much higher rpm than that old Honda you used to drive. Shifting at 3000rpm will spoil your P-car experience.

5. Tires are expensive and don't last as long as the tires on your old car. 10k-15k appears to be the average life. Remember that when you are buying a new set.

6. There appear to be a lot of great, dedicated and fastidious Indy shops out there. I have an extended warranty and took my car to the local dealer to get some non covered items taken care of. The estimate was almost $3k. My Indy fixed everything that actually need to get fixed for under $500.

7. Speaking of money, everywhere you go to get something done for your car, from the paint and body shop to the audio installer, they will attempt to charge you more since "after all, it is a 911".

8. A lot of Porsche enthusiasts don't like the 996. They have their reasons, but you now own one. Love it like its one of your kids.

9. If you drive around town with your spoiler up, most P-car owners will call you a poser. Best to let it do its own thing at 75mph. And yes, it is very cool to look at your reflection in that panel van you just passed to make sure your tail is actually up.

10. Your friends and relatives think you paid a lot more $$$ for your car than you really did.

Very well said!!! I totally agree with pulling next to the panel truck to see your reflection

Old 03-10-2012, 08:56 PM
soreshoulder is infamous around these parts
great list, especially the "everyone thought you paid more than you did" part.

Old 03-13-2012, 03:48 AM
brandonq is infamous around these partsbrandonq is infamous around these parts
Congrats on your new ride!
Just curious, how old are you? I hope to own a 911 someday...

Old 03-20-2012, 03:34 PM
Airrik is infamous around these partsAirrik is infamous around these parts
I love this list so true!