996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Oil capacity

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 10:25 AM
C22002 is infamous around these parts
Oil capacity

I have a repair manual for my 2002 C2 that has two entries for the oil capacity. It calls for 2.22 imperial gallons, but then indicates "change quantity" as 1.79. Where is the remaining oil? What should I expect when I drain the oil? Which do I use for refill (w/ new oil filter)?

Old 01-02-2012, 10:43 AM
Parkcity911 is infamous around these parts
Just did my 2001 C2 yesterday

I'm at 9.5 qts or more now. Still barely below full mark on dipstick. Has anyone else had to add so much?

I added the LN Engineering spin on filter adaptor too. Believe it or not, I first started with 8 qts and it barely hit the bottom of the dipstick. I drained it down overnight as I had to buy a 26mm deep socket to torque the new spin on the next day. I feel it dripped out quite a bit more than if I'd just let it drain for 20 minutes. So, if you have time, let it drain longer. I started with another 1/2 qt and it was barely over the minimum mark. Added yet another 1/2 quart and It was at about 1/2 way. That is when I started it and let it run for about 5 min, checked for leaks (none), and drove it for about 15 minutes. After a drain down of about 5 minutes, the level was still about 1/2 way (both electronically and on the dipstick). So, In went the last 1/2 quart. It still reads one bar below full on the electronic reader and a smidgen below full on the dipstick.

Again, I'm at 9.5 qts. now. Is this typical. I was expecting 8.5 to 9 at most. Any advice or knowledge on this? Chris

Old 01-02-2012, 11:01 AM
Eng w/ filter 9.3 qts

I just read this on Amsoil's site: 9.3 quarts with filter change.

Yours is a 3.6 L and mine is 3.4. Hmmm, that would make sense for yours to be at 9.5 qts, but not mine. Strange. Good luck.

Hey, we have a few guys that like to rally Brown's Canyon once a week or so if you want to join in. Nice way to get the rpms up and let it go. Pretty safe straight (both accident safe and johnny law safe too).

Have a great New Year and good luck. Let me know where you end up.

Old 01-02-2012, 11:38 AM
That's about right for the 3.4. 2.22 imperial gallons are 10.67 quarts for the 3.6 Liter. The 1.79 imperial gallons that is referred to in the manual are 8.60 quarts. I just don't know where the other 2 quarts goes? It can't be the filter.

Old 01-02-2012, 12:05 PM
Okay, finally took a peek at my manual. It says 9.3 qts or 8.75 litres for mine. That makes more sense! With my extended drain down time I bet I drained out at least another .2. It just kept dripping forever.

Hey, after you're done with your change and want to go on a drive, just let me know. I'm always looking for other enthusiasts.

I also go out to 4800 So. Redwood to buy and mix their race gas to get 94.5 octane. Car runs SO much better and smoother acceleration with it. It is Jensen's service if you have not tried it.

Have a good one / Happy New Year! Chris

Old 01-02-2012, 12:57 PM
Parkcity911:
I tried to send you a private message, but the site doesn't allow me to post because I don't have 20 posts. That sounds good though.

Old 01-02-2012, 02:52 PM
I'll pm you then with my cell number. We have a fun little group of enthusiasts that likes to get out. Seems like we are all busy at different times which makes it hard. Did you get your oil all topped off and filled? Leaks? How much did it finally take?

Old 01-02-2012, 07:03 PM
01blackm3 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Parkcity911
I'm at 9.5 qts or more now. Still barely below full mark on dipstick. Has anyone else had to add so much?

I added the LN Engineering spin on filter adaptor too. Believe it or not, I first started with 8 qts and it barely hit the bottom of the dipstick. I drained it down overnight as I had to buy a 26mm deep socket to torque the new spin on the next day. I feel it dripped out quite a bit more than if I'd just let it drain for 20 minutes. So, if you have time, let it drain longer. I started with another 1/2 qt and it was barely over the minimum mark. Added yet another 1/2 quart and It was at about 1/2 way. That is when I started it and let it run for about 5 min, checked for leaks (none), and drove it for about 15 minutes. After a drain down of about 5 minutes, the level was still about 1/2 way (both electronically and on the dipstick). So, In went the last 1/2 quart. It still reads one bar below full on the electronic reader and a smidgen below full on the dipstick.

Again, I'm at 9.5 qts. now. Is this typical. I was expecting 8.5 to 9 at most. Any advice or knowledge on this? Chris
I just changed my oil in my 99 996 and my car also took 9.5 qts. of oil, I started out with 8 but it wasn't sufficient. I called my local Porsche dealer and they said that my car will take 9.5 qts.

So yes this is typical.

Old 01-02-2012, 07:15 PM
wyovino is a jewel in the roughwyovino is a jewel in the roughwyovino is a jewel in the rough
I buy 10 quarts for each oil and filter change. I put 9 in initially, then take the car out for a drive. I let it sit for a few minutes, then top it up to halfway between low and full.

You don't want to overfill it.

Last edited by wyovino; 01-02-2012 at 07:18 PM.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:59 PM
geetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant future
you guys must have a lot of patience....I let i drain 20 min or so and can only get in 8.5 at the most if i'm lucky. I know I should drain a little longer but having 3 month intervals, I don't care so much to wait till the last drop of oil

Old 01-02-2012, 11:25 PM
dennish is infamous around these parts
My 2003 3.6 took 9.5 qts ( just shy of full on the dip stick) after removing the sump for IMS Guardian install. I think it took 9 qts last oil change without the sump removal.

Old 01-03-2012, 06:57 AM
100plus is infamous around these parts
my 2000 3.4l takes in about 9litres inclusive of oil filter change.

Cheers

Old 01-03-2012, 01:43 PM
It seems like everyone is having a problem with drainage time. It is no surprize to me considering the flat design of the pan. There is no place for the oil to accumulate, so it's draining from a flat plate. My concern about this design is that unless this flat plate is exactlly parallel with flat ground, you may get a significant amount of oil pooling at the low end. The more of an angle the car is, the more oil that will not drain out. What concerns me most is if you drain the oil in the same unlevel stop everytime, although you are diluting your old oil at some rate, any metal or sludge may be settling and accumulating in that low spot.

Is there any guidance as to how oftern this pan should be dropped for a thorough cleaning?

Old 01-03-2012, 02:20 PM
I'm interested in the answer on how often to drop the pan too. I know LN Engineering makes a slightly deeper pan, but it is still flat too to my knowledge. Just to be OCD, on my oil change I put the old plug barely in, heated up a quart of Mobil syn that was 3/4 full and poured it through. I then undid the plug and it came out pretty darn quick and looked as clean as it went in. I did not expect to get sludge, but was at least hoping for washing some additional particles out....which may have happened...who knows. I left my car on jack stands and the angle was pretty forward. Looking back at it, I guess I should have lowered it and let it drip too. Does anyone do this?

Old 01-03-2012, 02:35 PM
DoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond repute
Could it be because a US gallon is 80% of an imperial gallon? 1.78 is 80% oh 2,22 gallons.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Oil capacity