996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Wrapping the Ride- Is this a DIY?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 11:10 AM
ScoutsOut is infamous around these parts
Wrapping the Ride- Is this a DIY?

Thinking about wrapping my new to me 996. Called around, all the quotes I got were in the 2k - 4k range.

Is this something that is DIY'able? I mean, it doesn't look like rocket surgery or anything. I've put hood blackouts on several SUVs with great results, so I imagine this is more of less the same. I'm handy, and an artist/designer by trade, so I'm pretty good with stuff like this, as is my assistant, aka my wife.

On that note, how much square footage would I need for a 996? 20sqft seems right to me, but maybe that's too much? Not enough? I don't know.

Finally, an opinion question: I'm thinking of going either matte white or matte black with a CF hood, roof and taco spoiler. Have you guys seen 996s done this way, and what do you think of each choice? The car is currently black on stock turbo twists, but I'll probably swap those for some gunmetal or black wheels soon.

Am I insane for attempting this?

Old 01-20-2012, 11:17 AM
Former Vendor
Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !
there is a reason companies charge $2000-$5000 for a full wrap job! It is NOT easy and NOT a quick process... I used to run a shop that did tint and clearbra and the technique to clearbra and wrap jobs is not an overnight thing. I am sure you could "do it", I wouldnt expect a professional looking job for your first time!

Old 01-20-2012, 11:40 AM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
By enough to do just your hood, spend hours, look at it, then call the shop to have it done right Here are some of my cars we have paid others to do -

Old 01-20-2012, 11:45 AM
DRKNGHT is infamous around these partsDRKNGHT is infamous around these parts
Would an experienced window tinter be able to pull this off? My uncle has been tinting for 30+ years. Best in my city, just has never done this. he thinks he can but thought i ask you guys who have had it done. I want my porsche to be BLUEEEE

Old 01-20-2012, 11:57 AM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
I doubt window tinter could, give him a test.

Old 01-20-2012, 12:07 PM
FLi GLi is infamous around these parts
Dumb question - What is wrapping?

FLi

Old 01-20-2012, 12:11 PM
CobaltC4S is infamous around these parts
Leave it to the Pro's! Not a DIY! Maybe if you just want to do the roof, even at that you would be doing it a few times before you get it right. Check youtube for examples...

Old 01-20-2012, 09:11 PM
kromdom is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by FLi GLi
Dumb question - What is wrapping?

FLi
instead of painting a car, its wrapped in vinyl instead. one of many: http://www.autovinylsolutions.com/?g...FQ5lhwodyCoHCQ

Old 01-20-2012, 09:59 PM
wyovino is a jewel in the roughwyovino is a jewel in the roughwyovino is a jewel in the rough
Spackling drywall is an easy task, but mine never comes out like the ones done by professionals. I would pay the extra bucks for someone who does it for a living.

Old 01-20-2012, 11:28 PM
kent996 is infamous around these parts
I just ordered the 3m vinyl matte gray, I will try to DIY . Not too hard IMHO.

Old 01-21-2012, 09:55 AM
KevinR is infamous around these parts
For those of you that have wrapped cars - have you ever removed the wrap? If yes, what is involved in removing it and what condition is the paint in once the wrap is removed?

Old 01-21-2012, 10:11 AM
ScoutsOut is infamous around these parts
Well, time will tell.I just bought enough Scotchprint 1080 to do the hood, roof and wing part of the taco spoiler.

If it looks good, I'll tackle the body. If it looks really good, maybe I'll start a little weekend side-business!

I'm really on the fence here, pearl/matte white body with carbon roof & hood, or matte black body with carbon roof & hood?

Old 01-21-2012, 11:09 AM
SVT
SVT is infamous around these parts
I was quoted $2100 to wrap my 01 Mustang and $2500 to Wrap my SVT Lightning .. installed with a warranty. A 911 is a lot smaller and its calculated by SQ FT so I wouldnt pay more than that.

Old 01-21-2012, 11:30 AM
bunnymcintosh is infamous around these parts
Has anyone here actually tried and failed?

Old 01-21-2012, 11:39 AM
SVT
SVT is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by bunnymcintosh
Has anyone here actually tried and failed?
Im sure lots of people have, but you would be hard pressed to find someone who had enough ***** to post their shoddy wrap job and waste of money online. Ive seen a few DIY wraps posted that turned out pretty good. I could post some links if the OP wants.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Wrapping the Ride- Is this a DIY?