996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Adding LED DRL's to 996

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 08:08 PM
sirschwag is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by wyovino
After receiving the lights today from iJDMToys and realizing that they're not made by Philips, I went back to the website. It says "Philips-style", which I missed. The Philips lights have two wires according to the YouTube video I watched. You just hook them up to the positive and negative terminals of the battery and the built-in module does the rest.

The set I got from iJDMToy has 6 wires and very vague instructions. Also, because of the curves in the stock bumper, I can't find any place to mount the lights. Has anyone installed these on a stock MKI bumper?

How directional is the light? If I mount them flush to the front of the bumper, the lights will be pointing about 20 degrees outward.
Bill, check out how I mounted mine- I've got an MK2, but it's similar- I angled the inside ends towards the front slightly, the outside edge is more flush with the fin in the spoiler. I used 3m tape and tried a few angles by looking at the light output on my wall in the garage before I drilled. Another bonus of the Philips 8 are they have a pretty wide output, but IMO still need to be angled in a bit to look right

Old 03-26-2012, 08:57 PM
wyovino is a jewel in the roughwyovino is a jewel in the roughwyovino is a jewel in the rough
The lights that I have are tapered - from 1 1/2" to 1 7/8", depth-wise. Are yours similar? If so, which end did you place to the outside?

That's a great idea with the double-sided tape. I'll give that a try.

Attached Images  
Old 03-26-2012, 09:11 PM
The lights that I have are tapered - from 1 1/2" to 1 7/8", depth-wise. Are yours similar? If so, which end did you place to the outside?

That's a great idea with the double-sided tape. I'll give that a try.
Mine are not tapered, they are a straight 35mm depth, so 1.38", ...you'd wanna put the thinner edge towards outside so it doesn't stick out too much and allow the thicker end to recess inside the bumper. Mine rested against the end of the black plastic lining behind the bumper to stay flush. Good luck!

Old 03-27-2012, 10:21 AM
wyovino is a jewel in the roughwyovino is a jewel in the roughwyovino is a jewel in the rough
I'm sending them back. There is no way to mount the 5-Led lights from iJDMToys on a stock bumper. The lights are too long and too wide, and the bumper is too curved.

What a waste of time and money. Anyone have a set that actually fits a stock MKI bumper?

Old 03-27-2012, 10:29 AM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
I'm sending them back. There is no way to mount the 5-Led lights from iJDMToys on a stock bumper. The lights are too long and too wide, and the bumper is too curved.

What a waste of time and money. Anyone have a set that actually fits a stock MKI bumper?
It's a bummer it didn't work out for you. As I've stated, I haven't seen any that matches the curvature of the MK1 bumpers yet.

Originally Posted by alpine003
I don't think there are any, especially since the DRL's don't match the curvature of the vent areas.

Old 03-27-2012, 10:38 AM
Sounds like a good opportunity for someone with an entrepreneurial spirit.

Old 03-30-2012, 07:42 AM
The Philips 8 are thin enough to fit if installed they way I did...see my previous post...

Old 03-30-2012, 07:53 AM
Thanks, but I think the MKII bumper is a lot different than the MKI bumper.

Old 03-30-2012, 08:09 AM
Thanks, but I think the MKII bumper is a lot different than the MKI bumper.
Hopefully you can find something after all this! I didn't realize the MKI was that different at the bottom as mine still has a curve and looks very similar. You can download a template and make an exact size of the Philips 8 on the Philips UK website, you fold the paper and tape to make an exact replica, the brackets mount about 1/4" from the back or you can mount them with a custom bracket as there are screw holes in the rear, this would allow you to recess the inside edge inside to follow the curve...

Old 03-30-2012, 09:40 AM
Great idea about the template. Thanks!

Old 03-30-2012, 09:42 AM
balefire is just really nicebalefire is just really nicebalefire is just really nicebalefire is just really nice
Originally Posted by DRKNGHT
the 5 LED phillips style
DRKNGHT how much room did you have when you installed the ijdm philips 5 copy on your turbo front bumper? wyovino mentioned 6 wires, but the pics look like you only have to install two to the battery?

i really want the philips 8 but it has a width of 6.5"
the ijdm philips 5 copy has a width of 6.25"
my bumper looks like it only has about 6.4" of room in the third slot.

has anyone installed the philips 8 on a turbo front bumper?
thanks!

Old 03-30-2012, 10:15 AM
Great idea about the template. Thanks!
Once you print the template you fold and tape it together. Pretty neat., not sure why it's only on Philips UK site, guess cause its marketed there more due to regulations. As far as mounting, as I mentioned there are two screw holes in the back where you could use with an l bracket, etc...good luck!

Old 04-02-2012, 04:57 PM
Guys, found some curved and narrower DRL's, not sure of quality, but I suspect it's decent as this company makes or sells the 997 styled led rear tail lights.

https://www.dectane.de/index.php?cat...RL.html&page=3

Old 04-10-2012, 01:29 AM
balefire is just really nicebalefire is just really nicebalefire is just really nicebalefire is just really nice
good news! despite my research suggesting the size would not fit the turbo bumper, I took a chance on the Philips 8 and it fits the turbo front bumper! It is actually only 6.33" instead of 6.5" wide...

for those of you that have installed either the Philips DRL or the iJDMtoy one, where and how did you hook up to the "side marker" bulb for the dimming function? pics would be really helpful.

also, why do we have to disconnect the battery before hooking up to it? I don't have my radio code.

thanks!

Old 04-10-2012, 07:10 AM
mjb2448 is infamous around these parts
Love to see some daytime shots of your Turbo bumper install upon completion.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Adding LED DRL's to 996