996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Adding LED DRL's to 996

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 09:27 AM
sirschwag is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by balefire
good news! despite my research suggesting the size would not fit the turbo bumper, I took a chance on the Philips 8 and it fits the turbo front bumper! It is actually only 6.33" instead of 6.5" wide...

for those of you that have installed either the Philips DRL or the iJDMtoy one, where and how did you hook up to the "side marker" bulb for the dimming function? pics would be really helpful.

also, why do we have to disconnect the battery before hooking up to it? I don't have my radio code.

thanks!
I ran all my wires in through the rubber grommets where headlight wires go (cut a small X in the grommet and sealed with electrical puddy), I then removed the entire trunk liner, which was easy- I tapped into the wire using the harness on the Left (passenger) side of the car which is easy to spot. See my previous comments about which wire for your preference on when they dim..also, I did not connect to the battery, but to ignition switch, but if you don't use battery tender it's not a concern. Either way no need to disconnect battery, that's just for safety reasons. Good luck!

Old 04-10-2012, 10:48 AM
wyovino is a jewel in the roughwyovino is a jewel in the roughwyovino is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by sirschwag
Guys, found some curved and narrower DRL's, not sure of quality, but I suspect it's decent as this company makes or sells the 997 styled led rear tail lights.

https://www.dectane.de/index.php?cat...RL.html&page=3
https://www.dectane.de/product_info....-blackchr.html

I made a template based on one of the images on the site. It's an approximation, as I had to enlarge the drawing to get it close to the correct size. It looks like it would fit my stock bumper nicely. The only question I have is - How directional is the light? The curve of the bumper would shine the lights a bit to the outside. I would imagine that this is not a problem as they're probably not focused, but I'm going to contact the seller to be sure.

Last edited by wyovino; 04-10-2012 at 10:51 AM.
Old 04-10-2012, 04:22 PM
The philips 8 has a pretty wide beam, I'm sure other brands do as well. The Euro spec is no more than 20° off center. Here is a link to the template (see 2nd page) for those wanting to test the fit!
http://www.led-drl.co.uk/daylight/DRL_Stanzbogen_EN.pdf

Old 04-10-2012, 08:32 PM
friscotx is infamous around these parts
These are the Philips 8 templates..... which location is preferred.... one of the pics is with the lights to the far outside and the other pic is with them as far to the inside as they will go due to the curved intake on the bumber. Which location is looks best?

Attached Images   
Old 04-10-2012, 08:42 PM
jfintexas is infamous around these parts
I think the inside location. The gap left from mounting them to the outside just draws the eyes to the gap. Covering the gap will help with this effect...at least for me it does.

Old 04-10-2012, 08:57 PM
Originally Posted by friscotx
These are the Philips 8 templates..... which location is preferred.... one of the pics is with the lights to the far outside and the other pic is with them as far to the inside as they will go due to the curved intake on the bumber. Which location is looks best?
Towards the inside looks good, check out how I mounted mine...the outside (back) edge of the light just touches the black part behind the bumper (the radiator cover) and the inside edge is angled in a bit (as far back as I could put a hole in the bumper using the mounting bracket), much easier to align with front bumper off!

Old 04-11-2012, 01:20 PM
Yours look good. I think I prefer the inside position as well. Supposed to get them tomorrow...hopefully install this weekend

Old 04-11-2012, 03:03 PM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by friscotx

I dunno, you might need to get the 3rd radiator kit as the light will block off some of the air flow to your radiators. j/k

Old 04-11-2012, 07:50 PM
jfintexas is infamous around these parts
I know I am going to stand by and let y'all work it out and I will come in behind a borrow one of these brilliant ideas. Definitely on my list of projects.

Old 04-17-2012, 09:16 PM
Looks like opinions vary a whole lot in this issue. I installed my Philips 8 this weekend, and i am very happy with the results.... Didnt take the bumper off and all the wiring had a place to go. I think the look adds to the value of the look, and they dont look non factory (except ot all of us who know they didnt come on the vehicle from the factory... overall, i plan to leave them on...i think they look cool.... The pics dont do them any justice, they look way better in person...anybody in the area that wants to see them, we can set it up.

Attached Images  
Old 04-17-2012, 09:23 PM
with regard to: "I dunno, you might need to get the 3rd radiator kit as the light will block off some of the air flow to your radiators. j/k

Funny.... the third radiator would make it more cool!!!... get it...

Old 04-25-2012, 05:04 AM
Slopeslider2 has a spectacular aura aboutSlopeslider2 has a spectacular aura aboutSlopeslider2 has a spectacular aura about
Balefire,

I received your PM and don't have enough posts to reply. Hook into the side marker to be able to dim your lights. Sorry I don't have any pics.

Old 04-25-2012, 07:18 PM
balefire is just really nicebalefire is just really nicebalefire is just really nicebalefire is just really nice
Finally installed my Philips DayLight 8 LED DRL on my 40th AE with the turbo front bumper without the dimming module. As others have said, quality and LED brightness are excellent with this kit.

Install Notes:
-The most difficult part was getting the wire from the grill on the passenger side to the trunk compartment. I probably spent an hour with a coat hanger trying to find the path.
-The grill on the turbo front bumper is so thin that if I used the supplied brackets, the lights would stick pretty far out. So my lights are mounted with Scotts 10lb double sided tape. 3M VHB tape would have been better, but not locally available.
-I couldn't figure out how to hook up the dimming module, but I like how it looks at night for now. Thanks to those that offered me help with the dimming module.

Old 04-25-2012, 07:26 PM
DRKNGHT is infamous around these partsDRKNGHT is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by balefire
Finally installed my Philips DayLight 8 LED DRL on my 40th AE with the turbo front bumper without the dimming module. As others have said, quality and LED brightness are excellent with this kit.

Install Notes:
-The most difficult part was getting the wire from the grill on the passenger side to the trunk compartment. I probably spent an hour with a coat hanger trying to find the path.
-The grill on the turbo front bumper is so thin that if I used the supplied brackets, the lights would stick pretty far out. So my lights are mounted with Scotts 10lb double sided tape. 3M VHB tape would have been better, but not locally available.
-I couldn't figure out how to hook up the dimming module, but I like how it looks at night for now. Thanks to those that offered me help with the dimming module.

LOOKS GREAT!!!

good job and beautiful car!

Old 04-25-2012, 07:26 PM
Looks good man! Do you have regular white (clear) w5 bulbs in your side markers? The dimming function is easily tapped into the parking lights, just make the connection inside the luggage compartment using the supplied self-tapper (the harness is found at the top left side under the liner)...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Adding LED DRL's to 996