996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Uh Oh...found this under the oil cap...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 04:56 PM
Rhasslinger is infamous around these parts
Uh Oh...found this under the oil cap...

but the dipstick was spotless. As far as I could tell this was just sitting in the oil filler housing but I didn't get any further than a finger length (thats what she said). What does it look like to you pros (besides a boogar)?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/57664021@N06/6768152807/http://www.flickr.com/photos/57664021@N06/6768152807/ by http://www.flickr.com/people/57664021@N06/, on Flickr

Last edited by Rhasslinger; 01-26-2012 at 04:59 PM.
Old 01-26-2012, 05:38 PM
after further research it sounds like I am not driving my car long enough for the oil to burn off the condensation. I do drive short trips every day (10 to 15 minutes at most) but I get out on 20 to 30 minute drives probably every 3 days or so.

SHould I worry since the mustard crap is only at the filler neck and not on the dipstick? Or should i drain the oil and see what falls out?

Old 01-26-2012, 05:57 PM
PKStyles is infamous around these parts
i've never seen it that heavy but i have a bit of light sludge like that from time to time. my morning work commute is about 5 mins, barely enough time for engine to even reach full temp.

i make up for it on the weekends by going for 1.5 hour burns round the city, full redlines to flush all the crap outta it

the only sick porsches are the ones that are babied!

Old 01-26-2012, 05:58 PM
geetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant future
I drive 70 miles one way. It's always like that during the winter. I wouldn't worry about it as long as your commute/drive isn't too short.

Old 01-26-2012, 06:10 PM
Alpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Rhasslinger
SHould I worry since the mustard crap is only at the filler neck and not on the dipstick? Or should i drain the oil and see what falls out?
I wouldn't worry about it, but I would just take it as a sign that you need to drive at full operating temperature more frequently and for longer periods of time to evaporate the moisture from the oil.

Old 01-26-2012, 08:50 PM
Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !
normal, just drive your car more bring it to Temp for a while...

Old 01-26-2012, 08:54 PM
logray is infamous around these partslogray is infamous around these parts
Clean that reside, take it for a good thrashing, and then make sure it's not back again after the thrashing.

Old 01-27-2012, 03:47 PM
artcollinsjr is infamous around these parts
Is it really that yellow?

Old 01-27-2012, 05:13 PM
Originally Posted by artcollinsjr
Is it really that yellow?
Indeed!!! Super yellow

Old 01-27-2012, 08:24 PM
I've had a less vibrant yellow under my cap, but still decidedly yellow. I used to have a .5 mile commute. Until I learned that was not a good idea to drive, so I picked up the bike. Seriously, check the dipstick, coolant, and clean the oil cap.... if all looks well take it for a thrashing. Then from then on don't drive it unless you warm it up properly, then heavy on the fun pedal before shutting her down.

Old 01-31-2012, 03:54 AM
stephan_porsche is infamous around these parts
I know it looks horrible but its normal like everyone else said. Condensation in the crankcase. If it gets really bad your breather system could be messing up a little, usually the oil and water vapor is vented back into the intake to be burnt off.

Old 01-31-2012, 02:19 PM
b-man is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by geetee
I drive 70 miles one way. It's always like that during the winter. I wouldn't worry about it as long as your commute/drive isn't too short.
geettee is right. It actually has more to do with the cold weather. If you are driving at speed (as opposed to stop and go city type of driving), the cold air keeps the top of the engine compartment (the area near the opening in the rear wing) cold. This includes the oil filler area and oil filler cap.

The water vapor that gets burned out of the hot oil will condense inside the cold oil cap area. This happens even if you drive long distances and get your oil hot.

If you do a lot of city type of driving in the cold weather, you don't get as much cold air into the top of the engine compartment. So you won't get much of the yellow gel accumulating (if any at all).

b-man

Old 02-01-2012, 08:49 AM
split is infamous around these partssplit is infamous around these partssplit is infamous around these partssplit is infamous around these parts
pour a bottle of seafoam in the crankcase, then change the oil within 200 miles.

Old 02-01-2012, 09:58 AM
Once the engine reaches operating temp of 180-200F (water) the engine compartment gets pretty toasty, even if it is cold outside. Remember the oil cap covers a wide tube that enters directly (an inch or so) above the bearing carrier/crankshaft/rods and crank case - a direct passageway to the heart of the engine. Given enough run time at this temp (at any speed), it can help burn off this sludge/condensation or prevent it from forming, even if it is 0 degrees outside.

If you don't drive the car far enough to get it up to operating temp (at any speed/outdoor temp), or don't have it at operating temp long enough, it will not have enough time to keep the cap clean and burn off residuals formed by moisture accumulating in the engine.

Some suggest to change the oil more often if you must drive the car like this. But my opinion is "take the long route" to wherever you're going and get the engine up to temp and not just for 5 minutes.

p.s. I would not introduce any additives such as sea foam into the engine. Instead, change the oil a couple times in a short period, say 500 miles.

Old 02-10-2012, 07:54 AM
Mike 996C4 is infamous around these parts
I had a number of sports cars in my life ... One additive that I always liked to use was Marvel Mystery Oil ... I would only add little to the oil .. if you buy a quart of it ... I would only add 1ml or a little more than one line from the bottle ... You would be amazed how good your car would run after that ... and it would clean up the engine as well ... Used to race my cars a bit back in the day ... Many of the guys swore by it .. saying it was great especially for high revving engines ... and yes, I did put some in my 996 and it runs great ... you really don't need much at all to feel a difference ... Iam sure some won't agree with it .. but I feel it never harmed any of my cars and always made the cars run better ... you can even put some in the gas to clean the lines ... stuff is great in my eyes ... and been using it on all my cars for over 15 yrs now ... just remember a little goes a long way ... My father who has +200,000 miles on his 99 530 BMW swears by it ... His mechanic can not believe how the car runs ... He actually puts a whole quart in with every oil change LOL .. if I had that sludge, I would put about 3 ML of the mystery oil in ... thrash it for 500 miles ... change the oil and add 1 ML with your oil change .. I am sure it will clean it up good ..