996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

The make-over has begun

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 04:31 PM
aviography is infamous around these parts
Better be quick, they were trying to get the car done for tomorrow but I don't think that's possible since the bumper hasn't been painted yet as of mid-day today and they haven't started polishing the car either, as well I've asked them to repair the rims so that will add at least another day or two.

It wouldn't surprise me, even with the other pieces of work they have, that my car might be ready for pick up by end of next week.

I still have to decide if I would like them to arrange the 3M Clear Bra installed now or just take the car back to really let the paint cure for a couple of months before getting it and 35% tint done at a shop I've used before in the west end.

Old 02-09-2012, 11:35 PM
996C4SPfaff is infamous around these parts
My car have had 3M clear for over 4 years, and now I just want to renew it.

Old 02-10-2012, 11:27 AM
scantu is infamous around these parts
The fresh paint looks great but im a bit skeptical about the old paint buffing out as nice. Ive detailed paint for years and question the thickness of that clear coat to have the abilities to smooth out. Those swirl marks seem rather deep in the pictures and wet sanding may be the only way to get it right... fingers crossed. It will look amazing all cleaned up and polished.

Old 02-10-2012, 11:35 AM
911Konigin has much to be proud of911Konigin has much to be proud of911Konigin has much to be proud of911Konigin has much to be proud of911Konigin has much to be proud of911Konigin has much to be proud of911Konigin has much to be proud of911Konigin has much to be proud of911Konigin has much to be proud of911Konigin has much to be proud of
Wow! I have never seen that color before - pretty. They are doing a great job with the car

Old 02-10-2012, 12:11 PM
yo_clarkie is infamous around these parts
Very interested to see how the polish of the old comes up vs new paint. suspect it will be very impressive.

Old 02-10-2012, 02:30 PM
Originally Posted by scantu
The fresh paint looks great but im a bit skeptical about the old paint buffing out as nice. Ive detailed paint for years and question the thickness of that clear coat to have the abilities to smooth out. Those swirl marks seem rather deep in the pictures and wet sanding may be the only way to get it right... fingers crossed. It will look amazing all cleaned up and polished.
I'm not concerned with that, the lighting magnified the apparent severity of the swirls, none of them can even be felt with fingernail, they are all superficial.

I haven't done paint polishing to this level myself, but understand the process enough (probably just to be dangerous ) that I wouldn't have bought the car if I had been concerned these swirls could not be safely polished out, as well the shop has made no mentiones that they are concerned the swirls can't be polished out.

Will post pix when the job is done.

Last edited by aviography; 02-10-2012 at 05:50 PM.
Old 02-10-2012, 02:39 PM
yo_clarkie is infamous around these parts
If they are not to deep, you will find they can be buffed out, its more art than science, so if they have a good guy they may amaze you. I am still interested to see if you can tell, and hope you can't see the difference in encouragement for us all thinking about a panel or two and not the whole car.

Old 02-10-2012, 05:49 PM
Got word this afternoon that they are doing the first stage of polishing today, then the final polish and wax on Monday, they are refinishing the rims as well, and the car will be ready for pick up by mid next week.

Although I would prefer a clear day after the roads have mostly dried out first before I have the car picked up, unfortunatley there is snow forecasted in the next few days.......

Old 02-17-2012, 09:14 PM
Got the car back today, I am very satisfied with the work performed by Michelangelos Auto Salon, the paint color match was as perfect as can be from what I have now seen under sodium arc lamp, flourscent, overcast sky, sunny sky, I simply cannot tell the difference.

Tha paint polish has also removed the swirl marks all over the car before and restored the shine the paint was capable of, a full interior shampoo/cleaning was also performed to make this a very complete job when I picked up the car.

Just to show a few "before" pix of what the car looked like when I purchased it last Aug with badly swirled paint throughout the car, many small dents on the hood, badly scraped front bumper which also had indentation from the license plate mounting holder being pressed against the bumper itself:

A few recap shots of the passenger side fender & door before painting, after painting, and after polishing:

Finally a few, OK, quite a few shots of the final polishing and the finished product:

This experience has realy shown me how important it is to have a good shop such as Michelangelos who's willing to work with the client to achieve a high standards of finished product, the small premium is worthwhile to achieve a quality work as compared to the typical paint/collision shop.

Old 02-18-2012, 07:47 AM
EHGray is a jewel in the roughEHGray is a jewel in the roughEHGray is a jewel in the rough
It looks like a brand new car!

Old 02-18-2012, 08:16 AM
CoolHand is infamous around these parts
Great Job, GOOD looking car!!

Old 02-20-2012, 09:14 AM
the fast one is infamous around these parts
WOW looks great and like a new car. cant even tell whats new paint and old paint in the pictures. they did a great job

Old 02-20-2012, 09:22 AM
Thanks guys, yes it looks great in person too, can't wait to get the Clear Bra on it and the road to be clear of salt to put her back on the road again.

OT question, I am seeing all pix through external URL as I included here in smaller size than I had posted with the "Click this bar to view the full image" above each image, this started last Friday or so, is this a new vBulletin implementation/setting by the site owner here? Or do I need to change some settings? Some forums using vBulletin software have a setting in the User Control Panel for this but I don't see it in my User CP page here? TIA if there are any tips.

Old 02-20-2012, 10:59 AM
trenddy996 is infamous around these parts
To me it looks like the repaired areas have a slightly more intense purple hue

Old 02-20-2012, 11:28 AM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
I'm actually surprised that they painted individual panels rather than blending the color back into the doors. It looks like they did a nice job though.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: The make-over has begun