996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

What is your Preferred exterior/interior cleaning products?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 08:36 PM
C4inDFW is infamous around these parts
What is your Preferred exterior/interior cleaning products?

New owner, so pics coming soon as well as profile info. I'm curious to hear what your fav prods are for washing outside and inside your 996. My 01 Cab needs a bath and prolly needs a good wax and polish. I won't be touching the top until I learn more. Special order bronze ex, black interior.

Thanks for your insight!

Old 02-05-2012, 08:54 PM
yo_clarkie is infamous around these parts
This is a huge question and depends on the condition of paint, etc. However if I assume that your paint is in good condition, give it a once over with Meguiar's Swirl Remover 2.0 and use their Ultimate Wash and Wax when you wash it. I consider these two products to be exceptional, and they are both easy to buy. For wax use a pure Canuba wax, not a cleaner wax (ever) and be prepared to re-apply every 3-4 months. The swirl remover every 6/12 months and it will look great.

Make sure you use the two bucket method to wash it and consider buying a foam lance for a pressure washer as a way to keep swirls to a minimum. Very open foam sponges or wool wash gloves work well provided you use the two bucket approach. Dry with the oldest towel you can find, one thats been washed a hundred times works best.

Tar spots with tar remover, and clay bars are also very effective for problem areas and dead bugs.

If the paint condition isn't great, pay an expert to get it perfect and then see above swirl remover and wax/wash. The way to get paint back to perfect if its oxidized or lightly scratched it to cut (polish) it - and that makes the clear coat thinner, as its a learned skill, its not one you want to start learning on a Porsche.

Last edited by yo_clarkie; 02-05-2012 at 09:07 PM. Reason: spelling like a loon
Old 02-05-2012, 09:02 PM
yo_clarkie is infamous around these parts
For the interior, keeping the leather nourished is the key to soft and supple. Once you find a recommendation for the best product for this, let me know! Nothing I have every tried has impressed me.

DON'T use any chemicals on the dash/plastic, a damp cloth is the way to go. Buy a good auto glass cleaner, and auto carpet shampoo (in the can with the brush on top) for the head lining and carpets.

For under the guards, get a quart of truck wash from the auto supply shop, mix up a strong brew and use a scrubbing brush - works a miracle, and can also clean the engine the same way.

For the exhaust tips, tar remover followed by Autosol metal polish to get them back to as new.

Lastly, change the pollen filter.

Old 02-06-2012, 07:26 AM
Slik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond repute
Good answers above. You might also check the detailing forum on this site, or check some of the auto detailing related sites to read up on proper methods and new products: www.autopia.org www.autogeekonline.net There are several others.

Good luclk & have fun.

Old 02-06-2012, 02:35 PM
wyovino is a jewel in the roughwyovino is a jewel in the roughwyovino is a jewel in the rough
I'm not an expert but I've had very good results with products made by Mother's. I use the car wash, carnuba wax, and aluminum wheel cleaner. Their Back To Black product is good on black plastic and rubber. I haven't used any products on the interior.

Old 02-06-2012, 04:21 PM
Gonzo911 is infamous around these parts
Meguiar's has a new liquid Tech Wax 2.0 (Autozone) that I tried and the car turned out great with a very deep shine and finish. They also make a spray on leather conditioner and a separate interior cleaner. The leather conditioner is a clear liquid and went on like Armor All but was not greasy at all. Gave the leather a nice shine and was so easy use to use (much better than a paste that gets gobbed up in the seams). Like Wyovino said, Mother's makes a good product too, but I was very impressed with these Meguiar's items.

Old 02-06-2012, 09:33 PM
Originally Posted by yo_clarkie
This is a huge question and depends on the condition of paint, etc. However if I assume that your paint is in good condition, give it a once over with Meguiar's Swirl Remover 2.0 and use their Ultimate Wash and Wax when you wash it. I consider these two products to be exceptional, and they are both easy to buy. For wax use a pure Canuba wax, not a cleaner wax (ever) and be prepared to re-apply every 3-4 months. The swirl remover every 6/12 months and it will look great.

Make sure you use the two bucket method to wash it and consider buying a foam lance for a pressure washer as a way to keep swirls to a minimum. Very open foam sponges or wool wash gloves work well provided you use the two bucket approach. Dry with the oldest towel you can find, one thats been washed a hundred times works best.

Tar spots with tar remover, and clay bars are also very effective for problem areas and dead bugs.

If the paint condition isn't great, pay an expert to get it perfect and then see above swirl remover and wax/wash. The way to get paint back to perfect if its oxidized or lightly scratched it to cut (polish) it - and that makes the clear coat thinner, as its a learned skill, its not one you want to start learning on a Porsche.
That's great info and exactly what am looking for, and no, I won't experiment on the P. I've got a perfectly good Acura that will serve as the guinea pig.

Old 02-06-2012, 09:34 PM
Originally Posted by Slik560
Good answers above. You might also check the detailing forum on this site, or check some of the auto detailing related sites to read up on proper methods and new products: www.autopia.org www.autogeekonline.net There are several others.

Good luclk & have fun.
Thanks for he suggestion. I looked, but didn't see the detailing section. Good info!

Old 02-28-2012, 10:45 PM
914rrr has much to be proud of914rrr has much to be proud of914rrr has much to be proud of914rrr has much to be proud of914rrr has much to be proud of914rrr has much to be proud of914rrr has much to be proud of914rrr has much to be proud of914rrr has much to be proud of
I've had good luck with Vinylex for the interior vinyl and exterior black plastic bits. It's not greasy like Armorall and leaves a nice matte to semi-gloss finish after buffing. One weird bit was the radio *****. They were getting a little sticky to the touch and splotchy looking. I used Vinylex on them and they initially got sticky-er, but after a week or so, the ***** were not sticky anymore and had a nice finish to them.

I also had good luck with Griot's Garage Leather Rejuvenator on some dry spots on my black sports seats. Some areas required several (thin!) coats, but it did a great job bringing them back. I also love the smell of it, like having a new leather interior.

Last edited by 914rrr; 02-28-2012 at 10:51 PM.