996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Refurbish of Headlights

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 09:08 AM
friscotx is infamous around these parts
Refurbish of Headlights

Headlights in my 2002 C4 Cab were really foggy and it looked like the previous owner tried to buff them, etc. Anyway they looked bad, I thought I was in for buying new ones... anyway, i took them out and took them to the Dealer (Boardwalk...Plano,TX) and their detail guy sanded/buffed/polished and put a layer of clear protection on them and they look like brand new. It cost a little more to have it done at the dealer, but i knew if they messed them up they would replace them.

Old 04-07-2012, 11:16 AM
jayi836 is infamous around these partsjayi836 is infamous around these parts
there are many headlight restore kits out there i used the 3M kit on my 2001 Tundra with great results. i also used it on my rear window of my 99 C2 Cab. looks like new except near the edges where the buffer stopped.the guy i bought it from had the car sitting in the sun for 5 years and baked the plastic window.

Old 04-07-2012, 11:28 AM
DYL 911 is a name known to allDYL 911 is a name known to allDYL 911 is a name known to allDYL 911 is a name known to allDYL 911 is a name known to allDYL 911 is a name known to all
You have to seal in the refinish with a clearcoat or headlight clear bra covers. If not, they will look great for a some time and after a while and a few washes they will look all hazy again.

Old 04-07-2012, 03:52 PM
feroz928 is infamous around these parts
I would llike to have that done, but the dealers here in SoCal are very expensive. Someone had a thread of a company around the country that had franchises. I tried to find the thread but no luck Does anyone else recall that thread Maybe I'll tgry one of the local detailers

Old 04-07-2012, 04:11 PM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
I either posted that thread or commented in it. I used a company called Dr. Headlight. They did a great job.

Old 04-08-2012, 11:20 PM
kchociej is infamous around these partskchociej is infamous around these parts
I restored the headlights on my 02 996 last week. They were yellow and faded. Took about 8 hours for both of them. Wet sanded with 800, 1500, & 2000 grit sand paper. Then polished them with compound.

Sealed them with clear coat with a drop or 2 of black paint so they have a light dark tint to them.

Be prepared to use a lot of elbow grease but the end product is worth it. THey look brand new.

DO NOT waste your money in these "all in one" kits. They are basically clear coat and sand paper. Go to your local automotive paint supply store or pep boys and buy the sand paper yourself and save a few bucks. Spend a Saturday doing it ...the satisfaction of brand new looking headlights and your hard work makes it worth it.

Old 04-08-2012, 11:49 PM
yo_clarkie is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by kchociej
I restored the headlights on my 02 996 last week. They were yellow and faded. Took about 8 hours for both of them. Wet sanded with 800, 1500, & 2000 grit sand paper. Then polished them with compound.

Sealed them with clear coat with a drop or 2 of black paint so they have a light dark tint to them.

Be prepared to use a lot of elbow grease but the end product is worth it. THey look brand new.

DO NOT waste your money in these "all in one" kits. They are basically clear coat and sand paper. Go to your local automotive paint supply store or pep boys and buy the sand paper yourself and save a few bucks. Spend a Saturday doing it ...the satisfaction of brand new looking headlights and your hard work makes it worth it.
Can you please provide a bit more detail on how you did the clear coat stage?

Old 04-08-2012, 11:59 PM
Can't take credit for the sealing stage. My buddy is a painter so I had him do it.

Basically take a few ounces of clear coat & add 1 drop at a time of black paint until you get your desired "tint". Then just spray the paint on your headlight. It was very simple to do (he's a pro he's got the spray guns in his garage).

I think if you do a craigslist search of a painter (everyone is looking for side work) and find a decent one then negotiate a price you can get the same result. I don't think it would cost you too much since there is minimal prep work since all you have to do is pop out the headlights and the materials are cheap as well. It took about 30 minutes to do from popping out the headlights to mixing the clear/black paint to shooting it.

Old 04-09-2012, 07:12 AM
jfintexas is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by kchociej
Can't take credit for the sealing stage. My buddy is a painter so I had him do it.

Basically take a few ounces of clear coat & add 1 drop at a time of black paint until you get your desired "tint". Then just spray the paint on your headlight. It was very simple to do (he's a pro he's got the spray guns in his garage).

I think if you do a craigslist search of a painter (everyone is looking for side work) and find a decent one then negotiate a price you can get the same result. I don't think it would cost you too much since there is minimal prep work since all you have to do is pop out the headlights and the materials are cheap as well. It took about 30 minutes to do from popping out the headlights to mixing the clear/black paint to shooting it.
Can you post pictures of the result? Sounds like a cool effect.

Old 04-09-2012, 10:28 PM
I will bump this thread in a few days. Said buddy painter is repainting center console so I am 911-less for a few days.

Old 04-20-2012, 12:46 PM
dailydriver is infamous around these parts
I did mine a few months ago as well. I actually started with a light scuff sand with my D/A sander. I VERY lightly went over the lights with 220, 400 & 600 grit paper. Then wet sanded by hand with 800, 1500, 2000 & 3000 grit. Finished with a high speed buffing wheel and some polishing compound. The lights looked good as new when complete.

Just take your time and be gentle if you decide to use a D/A. In hindsight I probably could have started with 400 or 600 grit, but I was not aggressive, so I don't think I took off much more plastic than I needed to. If you have never wet sanded before, just use gentle pressure the surface tension of the water pulling the paper to the lights is almost enough, and be sure to rinse the paper and change the water in your bucket often.

I left the lights on and just taped everything up around the lights, but if I were doing it again I would pull them off the car for sure. It would make it a lot easier, and eliminate the possiblity of a painful (and expensive) mistake. In the picture the passenger light was completed, and I had just taped up the drivers side, so you can see what a difference there was.

Last edited by dailydriver; 04-20-2012 at 12:54 PM.
Old 04-20-2012, 02:53 PM
feroz928 is infamous around these parts
I finally took mine to a local Detail shop named Lavaggio's in Agoura Hills. They charged me $85.00. It took about an hour and a half. I am reasonably pleased

Attached Images   
Old 04-20-2012, 09:47 PM
Franco67 is infamous around these parts
My buddy Anthony did mine and they came out pretty amazing! http://exoticarmobile.com/ his website is under construction but you can get his address there.

Attached Images