996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Porsche Engineering baffles me sometimes...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 09:02 AM
Brando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud of
Cool Porsche Engineering baffles me sometimes...

Of all the parts that are just clipped together with tabs in the interior....

The door map pocket lid covers are held on by 13 torx screws!!

They can withstand a sustained 150 mph.

Old 02-17-2012, 04:59 PM
Gonzo911 is infamous around these parts
Just wait til your battery dies and you can't get to your battery because the hood won't open because the battery is dead.

Old 02-17-2012, 05:19 PM
hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Gonzo911
Just wait til your battery dies and you can't get to your battery because the hood won't open because the battery is dead.
and you can not find the string that is hidden in the ...eh... was it front left or front right.... ehhh . left rear perhaps ... that has a loop / ring that you can pull with a coat hook.. that you have stored in the luggage compartment that you can not open because the hood is locked and the battery is dead...

Old 02-17-2012, 05:19 PM
Brando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud of
Wink

Been there....done that.

My battery exploded a few years back.

I know.....but 13 torx screws to hold the map pocket lid on????? 4 would have been suficient.

Originally Posted by Gonzo911

Old 02-18-2012, 08:10 AM
Altaran is infamous around these parts
Also been there. Pretty easy though: just remove the panel where the button to manually raise the wing is and extend one rectangular piece, hook up the positive wire there, negative to the chassis, hood pops right up.

Old 02-18-2012, 08:13 AM
CoolHand is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Brando
Of all the parts that are just clipped together with tabs in the interior....

The door map pocket lid covers are held on by 13 torx screws!!

They can withstand a sustained 150 mph.
LOL I have been there, I almost missed the last one and ripped off the lid cover.

Old 02-18-2012, 09:47 AM
Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Brando
...I know.....but 13 torx screws to hold the map pocket lid on????? 4 would have been suficient.
Not really... I removed the leather and covered the lid with CF. If you don't tighten absolutely all of those screws, the lid squeaks while you drive.

What I don't get is why the lid is two pieces in the first place.

Old 02-18-2012, 09:51 AM
That one did not get re-installed.

Originally Posted by CoolHand
LOL I have been there, I almost missed the last one and ripped off the lid cover.