996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Battery issues...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 01:37 PM
LOS
LOS is infamous around these parts
Battery issues...

2004 4S/ 27K miles

The battery and alternator in my car were replaced when I first bought the car back in September of last year.
Earlier this year, the battery went dead while trying to start the car. Took the car to the dealer and they recharged it for me. I thought it was strange that the battery was drained. I have two other vehicles which I drive twice per week each. The Porsche 3x per week.
Anyway, my other two cars have never giving me any battery trouble in the past. Batteries last 5 years or more.

This morning I get in my car and the battery is weak again! WTF? This can't be normal... I'm taking my car to the dealer tomorrow and have all the battery and alternator fully check.

I have read many post related to this issue but when you drive the car 3x per week it should not be a problem... Am I missing something here? Maybe I should have bought an electric car (plug it in every day...)

What do you guys make of this? I'll let you guys know more tomorrow.

LOS

Old 02-23-2012, 04:43 PM
aviography is infamous around these parts
What does the voltage reading indicate on the volt meter inside the car? Better yet get a digital multi-meter and measure the voltage of the battery before starting the car and after starting the car, you should see around 12 volts before starting (2 volts per cell times 6 cells) and around 14 volts after starting as the alternator charges the battery.

Old 02-23-2012, 06:49 PM
hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !
Los, I trust that battery was new when they put it in last September?? Check the dates on the battery to make sure. If not..buy a new one. The battery is on it's way out and will give you some many different issues that you will pull your hair out. Don't buy a Porsche battery. I put a new Interstate 93 in a few months back. Perfect fit complete with overflow pipe ( important).

Last edited by hroussard; 02-23-2012 at 06:52 PM. Reason: superseded
Old 02-24-2012, 06:38 AM
sirschwag is infamous around these parts
I have a napa and use the battery tender and been fine

Old 02-27-2012, 01:10 PM
LOS
LOS is infamous around these parts
It turn out the cigarette lighter was causing a short and draining the battery according to the technician. blown fuse! I hope this helps others with similar issues.

Thank you guys for your replies and suggestions!

LOS