996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Newbie, intro and question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 05:25 PM
theoilman is infamous around these parts
Newbie, intro and question

Hey all,
Bought my 996 C2 Coupe a few months back and really starting to learn the ins and outs of this car. I bought it from the original owner with just a tick over 100k. All service records included (all done at dealer) along with original sticker, bone stock and clean of accidents. Really excited about the car and has been good to me in my short time of ownership!

With that being said, I'm coming towards the end of replacing neglected parts, cleaning things up and tying up all the loose ends that just plain bother me about the car. Day one, installed an aftermarket ceramic IMS bearing along with clutch and RMS. Did a full exterior/interior recondition, got rid of all the nasty amber lighting on the car, dents pulled and scratches buffed and cleaned out and did the Black out mod on the hood crest emblem. It's really coming along nicely! Did a few minor aftermarket mods like full LED conversion, tinted windows and a set of H and R lowering springs (wheels next . So I think I got most of the basics down now just looking forward to enjoying this car with you all!

As for my question, I have noticed with the wing in the up position that the curtain seal around it is all torn up from age etc. Is there a parts source other than the dealer? Just wondering... Also, it does make a terrible noise when erected and going back down, is there a way to service/grease any movable parts to ensure the operational longevity of the spoiler?

Last edited by theoilman; 03-01-2012 at 05:29 PM.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:52 PM
logray is infamous around these partslogray is infamous around these parts
Post some pics of your car!

Replacing the rubber bellows (Post 6 and 8 are great):

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...r-spoiler.html

Best price, currently www.porscheoemparts.com, p/n 996 512 250 00 @ $89.33 + ship/tax.

There are small holes on the sides you can squirt lube into to quiet the creaking (search).

Old 03-01-2012, 09:58 PM
Will do! I'll take some pics and post em'....

I can't access the detailed pics though Not a member and not willing to pay. But thank you for the link to the new part. Cheap enough I suppose.

Old 03-02-2012, 03:44 AM
McClendons is infamous around these parts
What did it cost to replace the bearing? I've found allot of articles talking # of hours, bearing cost etc, but I can't find many hard numbers on real cost. Want to pursue locally in St Pete Fl with some Indy's, and want to have real ballparks in mind. Thanks

Old 03-02-2012, 09:48 AM
Originally Posted by McClendons
What did it cost to replace the bearing? I've found allot of articles talking # of hours, bearing cost etc, but I can't find many hard numbers on real cost. Want to pursue locally in St Pete Fl with some Indy's, and want to have real ballparks in mind. Thanks
I actually did it myself with some help, I think the cost of the bearing was pretty expensive in the $400-$600 range. You're looking at 10+ hours in labor so I would expect to pay at least $1500-$2000.

Old 03-02-2012, 11:04 AM
FLi GLi is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by theoilman
I actually did it myself with some help, I think the cost of the bearing was pretty expensive in the $400-$600 range. You're looking at 10+ hours in labor so I would expect to pay at least $1500-$2000.
I'm toying with the idea of doing the IMS myself. How many hours did it take you? Level of difficulty? I'm a pretty decent shade tree mechanic.

FLi

Old 03-02-2012, 11:12 AM
Originally Posted by FLi GLi
I'm toying with the idea of doing the IMS myself. How many hours did it take you? Level of difficulty? I'm a pretty decent shade tree mechanic.

FLi
Not easy as you have to jack the car pretty high off the ground to do it but obviously possible if you can get creative. If you have a lift than the difficulty changes quite a bit... It took me two days work, so roughly 16 hours on the ground and it sucked. Still worth the $2k in savings though.

Old 03-02-2012, 12:47 PM
Byprodriver is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by McClendons
You want the best part & best labor available for this procedure. Consider driving to Flat6innovations.com