996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Trade my 2002 C2 for a 1999 GT3?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 10:42 PM
roadsession is infamous around these parts
So in Korea the all black treatment would sort of give off the gangsta vibe right?
White is cooler in a way -
But here's the thing - this is a gt3 - a coveted car that even 997 and 991 drivers tip their hats to. Most non porsche people will not know the difference but you do - which is what counts....

If you use the car as a daily driver in Seoul ... That's a different story as the gt3 will be a much harsher ride - but again - its a gt3

Old 03-06-2012, 01:11 PM
N3llyNova is infamous around these parts
To the fullest!

Originally Posted by Playersexpress
Personally, I love GT3s. First and foremost, I would sit down and think "Do I have sentimental attachment to my C2?" and "Does the GT3 options and color combination appeal to me?"

IF you consider checking out the GT3, I'd make sure to do my due diligence. Test drive to one or more independent inspections from mechanics/shops I trust, and then decided if it passes your standards, decided to negotiate.

Then I'm sure you can negotiate a better price on the GT3 and or your trade where the difference is more than $3k. If you're happy if they won't budge, that's your prerogative, but if the GT3 needs brakes and some other small stuff and they aren't willing to budge, don't feel bad in walking away.

Plus you might be better off selling your car privately yourself, then buying the GT3 outright.

Just my .02, but if it met my standards and the color/options appealed to me I'd pull the trigger.
+1

@Thankswww, Sounds like you put plenty of time, effort and labor into your current c2. To own possibly the only GT3 where your located is also a plus as well. My only advice is, You only live once, live alive.

Old 03-06-2012, 04:14 PM
GOB
GOB has much to be proud ofGOB has much to be proud ofGOB has much to be proud ofGOB has much to be proud ofGOB has much to be proud ofGOB has much to be proud ofGOB has much to be proud ofGOB has much to be proud ofGOB has much to be proud ofGOB has much to be proud of
No brainer, get the GT3. Besides the engine, lots of modifications were done to the suspension too.

Old 03-06-2012, 09:05 PM
thankswww is infamous around these parts
I agree, the MKI GT3 is extremely rare. The rarity of a GT3 has no significance here (in Korea) because nobody knows the difference between that car and a normal carerra. I'd basically just be buying it to make myself happy. If I were ever to try re-selling it at a later time, I'd almost certainly find no buyers for it, since most of the local populace here won't drive sports cars unless they are automatic transmission models.

I live in a city with a population of over 10 million people, and I can drive every day for months and still not see another 996. I've lived here for 8 years and I have never seen a 993 on the road, and there are less than 10 pre-993 models in the entire country.

I'm going to check out the GT3 today and take it for a test drive. If I buy it, I'll probably end up just keeping the C2. I can buy extra parking spots in the underground garage of my apartment building for just $30 a month each =)

Old 03-07-2012, 12:11 AM
tarzancoe is infamous around these parts
The GT3 engine is bulletproof compared to the regular C2 engine. It is derived from teh GT1 engines, like the Turbo's.

Old 03-07-2012, 04:07 PM
GSX400 is infamous around these parts
Nice trade

Old 03-07-2012, 06:46 PM
Roots is infamous around these parts
Man if only that GT3 was white

Old 03-07-2012, 08:51 PM
pcst is a jewel in the roughpcst is a jewel in the roughpcst is a jewel in the roughpcst is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by thankswww
I agree, the MKI GT3 is extremely rare. The rarity of a GT3 has no significance here (in Korea) because nobody knows the difference between that car and a normal carerra. I'd basically just be buying it to make myself happy. If I were ever to try re-selling it at a later time, I'd almost certainly find no buyers for it, since most of the local populace here won't drive sports cars unless they are automatic transmission models.

I live in a city with a population of over 10 million people, and I can drive every day for months and still not see another 996. I've lived here for 8 years and I have never seen a 993 on the road, and there are less than 10 pre-993 models in the entire country.
Exactly, people will be like 1999? Why would you pay that much money for such an old car? Doesn't matter whether it's a Porsche or not, unless it's Ferrari or Lambo.
Koreans/Japanese have a perception of "old European cars" = money drain.
Unlike here in US, old cars aren't that popular in Korea/Japan.

Good luck!

Last edited by pcst; 03-07-2012 at 08:56 PM.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:35 AM
hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !
If the car is a rare specimen and you live in a 10 mil people city... I am thinking exactly the opposite.. I think you should be able to get a premium IF you engage with the right dealers when or if it is time to sell. I know what I would do for sure.....

Old 03-21-2012, 01:19 AM
Doc_Porsche is infamous around these partsDoc_Porsche is infamous around these parts
I would do it......

Old 03-21-2012, 07:51 PM
Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !
Short answer - Hell Yeah!