996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Trade my 2002 C2 for a 1999 GT3?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 05:12 PM
thankswww is infamous around these parts
Trade my 2002 C2 for a 1999 GT3?

Recently a car dealer friend of mine came up with a 1999 GT3 with light damage to the rear (not enough to total the car). The car has since been expertly repaired and drives without any obvious problems (yeah, I know). It has about 24,000miles on it, and has the original engine.

My own car has also been in an accident, and has been repaired, as have about 80% of cars over 5 years old in this country (dangerous roads and drivers!)

996's are rare in this country. A 996 that would sell in the USA for $25,000 will very easily sell for $40,000 here. In fact, the dealer has offered me $37,000 for my 2002 C2, indicating that he has customers who would be willing to buy it from him for even more.

The asking price on the GT3 is about $34,000. Taking all things into account, would you trade in my situation? I really hate the headlights of the 1999 models, but sure would like that GT3 engine!

Old 03-04-2012, 06:20 PM
Playersexpress is infamous around these parts
Personally, I love GT3s. First and foremost, I would sit down and think "Do I have sentimental attachment to my C2?" and "Does the GT3 options and color combination appeal to me?"

IF you consider checking out the GT3, I'd make sure to do my due diligence. Test drive to one or more independent inspections from mechanics/shops I trust, and then decided if it passes your standards, decided to negotiate.

Then I'm sure you can negotiate a better price on the GT3 and or your trade where the difference is more than $3k. If you're happy if they won't budge, that's your prerogative, but if the GT3 needs brakes and some other small stuff and they aren't willing to budge, don't feel bad in walking away.

Plus you might be better off selling your car privately yourself, then buying the GT3 outright.

Just my .02, but if it met my standards and the color/options appealed to me I'd pull the trigger.

Old 03-04-2012, 06:41 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
What is the mileage on your 996? Also how do you feel about the paint and interior condition, color, equipment, tires, wheels.... on the GT3? If you really like all the features and color and condition of yours, and you equally admire/like the GT3, then you have a decision to make that nobody can make for you. For me it would come down to the condition of the GT3 since my Carrera is mint the trade would have to be also.

Old 03-04-2012, 07:35 PM
geetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant future
I'm surprised you can even drive a porsche in korea. The traffic alone is crazy no to mention the way people drive there.
I'd go for the GT3 despite being a MK1. Where you even open her up though?

Old 03-04-2012, 10:08 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. Firstly, I have no idea what the market value for an early 996 GT3 is because there aren't any others for sale here. I suppose that makes it a "whatever someone is willing to pay" situation.

My 2002 has every option except for the sun-roof. It's also white, which is a color I looked long and hard for. I've spent considerable money on my own car, but just about the only thing I can transfer over to the GT3 are my wheels.

The GT3 is black, which is a color that I like. Overall, both cars are now in excellent shape. No wear on the leather seats, no dents, no stains etc. Mechanically my car runs very well and doesn't leak anything. My C2 has about 35,000miles on it.

It's interesting to note that there are supposedly two 996 GT3s registered in this country, and both of them have been wrecked. I know about the first one, because I personally located it in a junk yard and was able to pull the front bumper, rear bumper, driver's side side skirt, and rear engine lid off of it and use them for my own car. The junked GT3 was nailed in the passenger side door area, and I was able to pick up the body panels for practically nothing because there are so few 996s here that no one else was even interested in them.

This black one is the second and only other 996 GT3 registered here currently according to my insurance company, who apparently factors that into what they charge for insurance. Every 996 and earlier Porsche that exists here has been brought over from Japan on the grey market, and sold through second hand importers and dealers. For the most part, the Japanese are pretty fanatical about maintaining their porsches, but once the cars get here and are sold locally, they are pretty much beaten to hell or crashed. I snagged mine right as it was being offloaded from the container ship, with original dealer records and manuals in Japanese.

Having the chance to buy the GT3 is very tempting, especially considering that it isn't a USA model that has been crippled for emissions purposes.

What I'd really like to do is buy the GT3 and swap over the engine and whatever parts I can into my C2, then sell the GT3 carcass by itself or with my old C2 motor installed in it Or perhaps I could convince the wife that the GT3 would be more suitable for her than the Nissan March that she scoots around town in...

@ geetee: Driving a sports car here is difficult. Most roads are poorly constructed, and the accident fatality rate per 100,000 persons is one of the highest in the world, mostly due to the locals ignoring even the most basic of traffic rules. I can enjoy driving my car on the weekends, and mostly on toll roads, because at least the toll roads are nice and smooth with minimal speed cameras. Every time I go to Japan, I can't help but admire how incredibly smooth the roads are.

Last edited by thankswww; 03-04-2012 at 10:12 PM.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:31 PM
geetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by thankswww
@ geetee: Driving a sports car here is difficult. Most roads are poorly constructed, and the accident fatality rate per 100,000 persons is one of the highest in the world, mostly due to the locals ignoring even the most basic of traffic rules. I can enjoy driving my car on the weekends, and mostly on toll roads, because at least the toll roads are nice and smooth with minimal speed cameras. Every time I go to Japan, I can't help but admire how incredibly smooth the roads are.
Dude...I know what you mean...I spent most of 90's there and never doing that again. The traffic and traffic law over there is just insane...
Anyways...we never got the MK1 GT3 in the states and it seems rare over there also....

Old 03-04-2012, 11:23 PM
pmkazz is infamous around these partspmkazz is infamous around these parts
An MK1 GT3! If it is real and in could condition, get it. One truly awesome car... And then, please post pictures.....

Old 03-05-2012, 12:33 AM
Playersexpress is infamous around these parts
If it's the only one left in the country.... GET IT!

You'll never get confused which car is yours if you ever go into the affluent areas to eat or shop.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:05 AM
Actually I have pics of the GT3 in question. A lot of manual transmission cars end up sitting around for long periods of time because NO ONE here will buy them. Everyone drives automatic cars. Dealers are sometimes desperate to offload cars with manual transmissions, so sometimes you can haggle over the price. In my case, I picked up my 2002 for the same price another dealer was asking for a 1999 with more KMs on it. The lack of supply truly leads to an unpredictable market. Sometimes dealers are desperate to get rid of them to make space for giant luxury cars, and sometimes dealers hold onto these cars for years and years and years refusing loads of reasonable offers.

(pics)(pics)(pics)(pics)(pics)

Last edited by thankswww; 01-12-2013 at 12:57 AM.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:10 AM
pmkazz is infamous around these partspmkazz is infamous around these parts
Very nice. If it was me, well I would be sitting in that GT3 seat.

Old 03-05-2012, 10:46 AM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
MK I GT3s are quite rare. I'd be tempted to buy it... Very tempted...

Old 03-05-2012, 12:11 PM
Tmainevent is infamous around these parts
I wouldnt blink an eye...GT3 all the way

Old 03-05-2012, 01:38 PM
hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !
No brainer.. get it and have fun!!!

Old 03-05-2012, 05:49 PM
chsu74 is infamous around these parts
The GT3 engine is not a direct swap with the C2. Porsche only produced around 1800 MK1 GT3s. It is a low production vehicle and desireable.

Old 03-05-2012, 08:25 PM
sk2929 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by thankswww
My 2002 has every option except for the sun-roof. It's also white
The sunroof delete must be a pretty rare option, would love to see pics.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Trade my 2002 C2 for a 1999 GT3?