996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Correction: wheel/tires

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 04:03 PM
Pors-Vette is a jewel in the roughPors-Vette is a jewel in the roughPors-Vette is a jewel in the rough
Correction: wheel/tires

Humbly speaking, the Victor Innsbruck 19x11 55et will not fit the rear of a 1999 Porsche nb wearing 295/30x19 tires. Tire tread hits the wheelwell edge when you drive over bumps.

America's Tire call the Victor distributor before I ordered the wheels and was told they would fit. When called back again today, they said they would fit even though they were told they wouldn't. Anyway, they said they could not exchange wheels because tires had already been mounted on them even though they told us they would fit.

America's Tire will exchange the 295/30x19's for 275/30x19 which is approx the same size as the 285/30x18's that came off the rear. The original wheels off the rear were 18x10 with 3/8"-1/2" spacers so we're hopeful the wheels with the 55et will be ok. Will find out next week when the other tires arrive.

Next time I'm going to listen to you guys who have much more experience in Porsche's than me.

Humbly fading away..............Pors-Vette

ps If anyone needs advice on mid-year and C5 Corvette's I may be able to help.

Old 03-08-2012, 04:06 PM
Pors-Vette is a jewel in the roughPors-Vette is a jewel in the roughPors-Vette is a jewel in the rough
The 19x8 Innsbruck with 225/35x19 tires do fit well.

Old 03-08-2012, 04:10 PM
I'm in agreement with others who said a 63et or larger will fit a nb.

Rolling the fenders would not have helped in this situation and changing rear camber is out of the question.

Old 03-08-2012, 07:09 PM
Its Kip is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Pors-Vette
I'm in agreement with others who said a 63et or larger will fit a nb.

Rolling the fenders would not have helped in this situation and changing rear camber is out of the question.

I'm not sure why rolling the fenders would not help in this situation? I have recently installed some HREs in 19x11 +53 with 295/30/19 Hankook V12 tires and TechArt's in 19x11 +51 with 295/30/19 PS2 tires. I have factory spec camber settings with rolled fenders on a NB... zero rubbing issues.

Last edited by Its Kip; 03-08-2012 at 07:13 PM.
Old 03-08-2012, 07:27 PM
Originally Posted by Its Kip
I'm not sure why rolling the fenders would not help in this situation? I have recently installed some HREs in 19x11 +53 with 295/30/19 Hankook V12 tires and TechArt's in 19x11 +51 with 295/30/19 PS2 tires. I have factory spec camber settings with rolled fenders on a NB... zero rubbing issues.
I'll give rolling the fenders a try but when you're looking straight down from above the fender it appears the tire would still be sticking out just a bit too far causing the fender to still make contact with the tread. It's just my opinion but maybe a good body shop that has someone who rolls fenders will have a different opinion. Thanks for the encouragement though, I'll make calls tomorrow.

Old 03-09-2012, 01:16 PM
I called numerous body shops and all gave conflicting information about rolling fenders which worried me re: who should do it. Got brave and did it myself. After going on-line and combining others experiences, I got started.

Tools needed: 1/2 floor jack handle. Duct tape. Heat gun.

I used my floor jack handle as the "roller". (my handle comes apart in the middle so I only used half the handle for better leverage) Wrapped some duct tape around one end. I heated the part of the lip I was going to work on with a heat gun just hot enough to where I thought the paint was pliable. (not too hot or I'm sure you'll blister your paint) Using one hand on the jack handle, and the other as a guide at the lip, I carefully and slowly started lifting the lip using the tire for leverage. I probably lifted the lip 1/16" then moved the handle to the left about 1/2" and did the same. Do this to the entire part of the lip you want rolled then repeat until you've got the lip almost pointing straight up. Use heat gun numerous times while doing this. Continue until you can put enough pressure on the jack handle so the lip is almost flat against the inside of the fender. It took me about 45 mins for each rear fender. No paint cracking/chipping/scratches. No tire rub when driving.

I'm not an expert on this but I wanted others to know that it's doable. This method worked for me and I hope it works for you.

Old 03-09-2012, 02:58 PM
Brando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud of
Thumbs up

Glad it worked out for you.

You can also rent a fender roller that bolts onto the hub for leverage and makes the job very easy if you just take your time.

Me.....I just buy wheels that fit in the fenderwells.

Old 03-09-2012, 04:14 PM
Originally Posted by Brando
Glad it worked out for you.

You can also rent a fender roller that bolts onto the hub for leverage and makes the job very easy if you just take your time.

Me.....I just buy wheels that fit in the fenderwells.
I wanted that wide tire look at the rear and was told the wheels and tires would work. Can you imagine my disgust when I heard the tire and fender contact each other the other day?

I couldn't locate a fender roller in my area and when I checked on-line saw that they were $350!

Old 03-09-2012, 09:25 PM
Its Kip is infamous around these parts
I'm glad you gave fender rolling a try. Its a relatively simple process to remedy issues like the one you had. Once the fenders are completely rolled I have found the limit with a 11" wide wheel wearing 295 tires is basically +50. Anything lower will require some added negative camber. Flush fitment is good fitment

Old 03-10-2012, 10:09 AM
ZABUCH is infamous around these parts
hey there pors-vette can you post some pic's i have the same set up like you 19x11 in rear victor equipment lemans same off set ,i was planning on using 295/30/19 in rear and rolling lips also.

Old 03-12-2012, 10:44 AM
Originally Posted by ZABUCH
hey there pors-vette can you post some pic's i have the same set up like you 19x11 in rear victor equipment lemans same off set ,i was planning on using 295/30/19 in rear and rolling lips also.
Ask and ye shall receive!

Attached Images     
Old 03-12-2012, 03:16 PM
ZABUCH is infamous around these parts
Wow sir you did a great job look very nice , ok rabbit you convinced me ,Iam having mine rolled

Old 03-12-2012, 03:53 PM
Originally Posted by ZABUCH
Wow sir you did a great job look very nice , ok rabbit you convinced me ,Iam having mine rolled
Thanks. If you're going to be doing the rolling yourself, keep one thing in mind.....take your time. Can't stress that enough. Post pics when you're done.