996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

windshield

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 06:54 PM
JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !
windshield

Interest series of event, I thought I would post.

A few weeks ago, a rock hit my windshield, leaving a nice spider in it. Good thing, when re-upping my insurance, I got a $100 deductible on full glass coverage. It is worth it.

My car is 2002 C4S. At first, the insurance company sent out Safelite. Needless to say, their aftermarket glass did not fit. Most us have dealer only glass with radio aerial, rain sensor, and top shading. The stuff is not cheap: Windshield, seals, etc cost $1300. I had the dealer expert come over, he spent 3 hrs installing it. Cost another $300.

As the installer was leaving, I asked him what I should treat the glass with and what wipers I should use. He recommended Aquapel (not aquagel, a completely different product) and Trico wipers. So, I got them. The Aquapel seems to bond with the glass and is good for 6 months. It is like RainX. The wipers are very good, much better than the Bosch.

Now that I have been driving with a new windshield, I have noticed something I did not expect. The glass is clear. After 10 yrs, enough microscratches accumulated so that the old glass was clearly cloudy (couldnt resist that one.)

Lesson for you all. Get full glass coverage!!. Most insurance companies cover it and will work with you, after all no, medical expenses.

JB

Old 03-08-2012, 08:21 PM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
In the mountains where I live, our cars typically get a new windshield every year. I've had the windshield in the C4S and the Cayenne replaced in the last few months. I also used Safelite, and I have a $0 deductible glass policy.

What brand of windshield did you have installed? I had Pilkington windshields installed in both of our cars, and they are very good. They are actually the OEM windshield in BMW and other high-end cars. Mine fit perfectly in both cars, and looks as good or better than OEM.

Old 03-08-2012, 10:47 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
I always use Rain-X so if this other product is "like Rain-X" why not simply use Rain-X?

Old 03-08-2012, 11:26 PM
lowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud of
The body integrity is never the same after a windshield is replaced since it is not installed to factory specs. That is why I use ClearPlex film on my 997 windshield....Kinda like the the clear bra but perfectly clear. Amazing stuff that I highly recommend http://www.clearplex.com/

Old 03-09-2012, 07:53 AM
JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by denversteve
I always use Rain-X so if this other product is "like Rain-X" why not simply use Rain-X?

I have used rainX for a long time. It wears off quickly and sometimes gets cloudy.

Well, really the installer recommended it. As soon as it rains here (NJ) I will post an update

JB

Old 03-09-2012, 06:45 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by JB Lifeguard
I have used rainX for a long time. It wears off quickly and sometimes gets cloudy.

Well, really the installer recommended it. As soon as it rains here (NJ) I will post an update

JB
Never seen it cloudy. Must be an application issue. I use good shoe polish, it wears off quickly, so I reapply.

Old 03-10-2012, 01:57 AM
jhthornley is a glorious beacon of lightjhthornley is a glorious beacon of lightjhthornley is a glorious beacon of lightjhthornley is a glorious beacon of lightjhthornley is a glorious beacon of lightjhthornley is a glorious beacon of light
since your windshield is now "clear", you might want to consider one of the clear bra protective films (for windshields) before it gets sand blasted...

I know I would if my windshield wasn't all trashed...

Old 04-05-2012, 01:07 PM
dailydriver is infamous around these parts
How does the clear film hold up to windshield wipers? I would think the film would scratch and haze from the use of the wipers WAY faster than glass does. I understand you could just peel the film and re-apply, but it seems like this could get costly REAL quick during the rainy season...

Old 04-05-2012, 08:20 PM
lowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by dailydriver
How does the clear film hold up to windshield wipers? I would think the film would scratch and haze from the use of the wipers WAY faster than glass does. I understand you could just peel the film and re-apply, but it seems like this could get costly REAL quick during the rainy season...
I've had the Clearplex film since August and still perfectly clear....keep in mind I am in Seattle and use my wipers often. Also, have hit many stones that I am sure would have destroyed my windshield and all I see is a mark on the Film. I plan on getting it for my Fisker as well and likely to do my other cars too. Great stuff. The only thing I have to do is every two months I need to treat it with some conditioner....So far I have been bad and only done it once.