996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

996 C2 Cost efficient tires

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 11:51 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
No. The Michelin's are by far the best. Any compromise is a lesser quality. Most tires wear faster than the Michelin which negates any "cost effectiveness".

Old 03-16-2012, 08:45 AM
996tofast4911 is infamous around these parts
My ps2's cost 800 a set and lasted 1 summer. Michelins are overrated

Old 03-16-2012, 09:20 AM
Detoxx is infamous around these parts
PS2's are great but pricey. On my second set, only because I got a deal I couldn't pass up. Waiting on the Michelin super sports to come out in the 285/30ZR18 size. From the reviews I read they're supposed to be less expensive than ps2, last longer, and just as sticky. If they're not out by the time my rears wear out I'm going to the ventus v2. Know several people who give them great reviews. $400 per tire (PS2) is a bit much. Also heard a rumor (don't know if true or not) but PS2 in 285/30ZR18 are low in stock and they're currently not manufacturing them right now.

Old 03-16-2012, 09:23 AM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
I actually just went back to PS2s. My new set gets installed next week.

I've tried Hankooks and Sumitomos. They aren't bad for the money, but I found them to be a little less performance oriented than the Michelin and Pirelli tires that I've used in the past, and they get very loud as they wear. I prefer the Sumitomo over the Hankook.

I prefer Michelin over Pirelli, and I'm really looking forward to the new Pilot Super Sport when it becomes available in the proper sizes for a wide body car.

For a narrow body car, the Super Sport is a great option that is priced between the PS2 and the budget tires like the Sumitomo or Hankook products.

Old 03-16-2012, 03:23 PM
DaveFL1976 is infamous around these parts
I guess it depends on where you live. In Florida, we have no curvy roads. It's probably my single biggest gripe about living here. As a result, the (very) slight handling benefit I get over the pricey Michelins vs a cheaper Sumitomo when I go to the autocross just isn't worth the money. And the Sumitomos seem to work fine in the rain, so it's an easy call for me. Save the money for something else.

Last edited by DaveFL1976; 03-16-2012 at 03:25 PM.
Old 03-16-2012, 06:19 PM
dennish is infamous around these parts
Dennis C, Why do you prefer the Sumitomo over the Hankooks? That's good news 'cause they cost less.

Old 03-16-2012, 07:58 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 996tofast4911
My ps2's cost 800 a set and lasted 1 summer. Michelins are overrated
Unless you're doing something other than road/highway driving - it's not the tires. Mine last plenty and much longer than one Summer, unless you're Summer is 18-29,000 miles. There's a reason most people drive the Michelin's, and it's because there's nothing better. Price is no concern when safety and performance are paramount.

Old 03-19-2012, 12:11 PM
carsareart is infamous around these parts
I run Nexen N3000 tires on my 18s, and Kumho Ecsta spt's on the front (they just will not wear out) and BFG G-force sports on the back of my 17s. The biggest change in handling I have done is to get the back alignment so it will not wear out tires in 8k miles. I can still double clover leafs and turn respectible times at the autocross. Now my rear tires last and last.

Last edited by carsareart; 03-19-2012 at 12:23 PM. Reason: add info
Old 03-19-2012, 12:13 PM
hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !
I had Kuhmo's on my C2 . Yep. They just don 't wear out. Must say, I also had Fuzion ZRI and they also lasted a long time!!

Old 03-19-2012, 04:35 PM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by dennish
Dennis C, Why do you prefer the Sumitomo over the Hankooks? That's good news 'cause they cost less.
I noticed a dropoff in performance with the Hankooks faster than I did with the Sumis. I also found the Hankooks to be very loud as they wore - even louder than the Sumis. If I were buying another set of low-cost tires, I'd get the Sumis again.

Old 03-19-2012, 06:27 PM
MileHigh986 has a spectacular aura aboutMileHigh986 has a spectacular aura aboutMileHigh986 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by eugizzle
Porsche recommended the michellin sport tires, but I was wondering if there were better tire options for the 996 C2 that would be more cost efficient without without affecting the performance.
Without effecting the performance?.... No. There will be a trade off - faster wear, less traction, more noise. Not worth it. Michelin all the time. I won't trade off for anything, especially performance on a high-performance car. If you want to save money, buy something other than a Porsche.

Last edited by MileHigh986; 03-19-2012 at 06:30 PM.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:05 PM
loayo has a spectacular aura aboutloayo has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by 996tofast4911
Bf Goodrich Gforce kdw
I like the KDW2s although I have no experience on a pcar. Great traction. Also, cool tread design

Old 03-20-2012, 09:47 PM
carsareart is infamous around these parts
I have been looking at the BF Goodrich G-Force Super Sport A/S. I purchased a set for my sons BMW and they are doing great. I heard somewhere that they are the only street tire to pull over 1g... anyone else hear this?

Old 03-21-2012, 05:14 AM
loayo has a spectacular aura aboutloayo has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by carsareart
I have been looking at the BF Goodrich G-Force Super Sport A/S. I purchased a set for my sons BMW and they are doing great. I heard somewhere that they are the only street tire to pull over 1g... anyone else hear this?
I remember an add from BF Goodrich stating this tire to be the first to pull over 1G. Here it is below:

Press Release

Grip: The first street tire to pull a 1g turn
Acceleration: The first street tire to run a sub-eight second quarter mile
Toughness: 20 straight SCORE Baja 1000 victories

Regards,
Loay

Old 03-21-2012, 11:22 AM
Pors-Vette is a jewel in the roughPors-Vette is a jewel in the roughPors-Vette is a jewel in the rough
I have PS2's on my Corvette. I do not drive aggressive all the time and have 15,000 miles on them with 1/2 the tread remaining.

This is my first Porsche and I had PS2's installed also.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 996 C2 Cost efficient tires