996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Leather cracked on seats

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 07:39 PM
Harmony Jim is infamous around these parts
Leather cracked on seats

I own a 2000 C2 cab with the Savannah soft leather interior. I have a 2 to 3 inch long split in the side bolster behind my shoulder on the driver's seat. Can anyone tell me the best manner to address this. I am in the process of purchasing a 997.2 C4S, so I need to make it good enough to sell, not to spend a small fortune on it. Any great ideas out there? If the answer is reupholster, i live in the Fresno, Ca area. Thanks in advance.

Old 03-16-2012, 08:44 AM
function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !
I would find a car or boat reupholster and have them fix it.

Old 03-16-2012, 09:25 AM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by function12
I would find a car or boat reupholster and have them fix it.
+1

It can probably be repaired. If not, you can have a single panel on the seat replaced. I had my seat and shoulder bolsters replaced with new leather for roughly $250 per panel.

Old 03-16-2012, 11:03 AM
Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Dennis C
+1

It can probably be repaired. If not, you can have a single panel on the seat replaced. I had my seat and shoulder bolsters replaced with new leather for roughly $250 per panel.
Did you by the panel(s) from Porsche?

Old 03-16-2012, 12:03 PM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Johnny DB
Did you by the panel(s) from Porsche?
My upholstery shop was recommended by my local Porsche dealer. He was able to match the leather and get it from a supplier in California. It did not come directly from Porsche.

It's important to note that leather tends to change color over the years from exposure to sun and air. My original leather was actually a tad darker than the new panels. I had it replaced roughly one year ago, and the new panels are now very close to the color of the older leather. I expect it to be a perfect match as it continues to darken up over the next year.

Old 04-26-2021, 02:38 PM
Crystal Kinler is infamous around these parts
Cracked crumbling leather seat

Originally Posted by Dennis C
My upholstery shop was recommended by my local Porsche dealer. He was able to match the leather and get it from a supplier in California. It did not come directly from Porsche.

It's important to note that leather tends to change color over the years from exposure to sun and air. My original leather was actually a tad darker than the new panels. I had it replaced roughly one year ago, and the new panels are now very close to the color of the older leather. I expect it to be a perfect match as it continues to darken up over the next year.
  • I read your message about the leather seat repair who did you use? You mentioned a Porsche dealership gave you a name of someone you highly recommend. I’m in Florida, near Orlando. Please advise

Old 04-27-2021, 06:03 AM
NYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to behold
I ordered a refurbish kit

I tried for over a year, 7 different shops to repair Savannah paint on plastic parts and recondition the seats. No one would do it, two of them boat seat people.

Waiting for warmer weather to come than I will give it a go.

Good luck with yours

Old 05-25-2021, 12:11 PM
B8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond repute
I had good results using the Magic Mender product on savannah tan leather in a 996 C2. Key was the airbrush for application.