996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Clutch slipping at 46k?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 07:21 PM
DRKNGHT is infamous around these partsDRKNGHT is infamous around these parts
Clutch slipping at 46k?

So my clutch just started slipping and I am only at 46k miles. Only had car for last 2k miles but I can not imagine it would already need a new clutch. Any other possibilities??

Old 03-22-2012, 08:41 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
Possible. A clutch can be burned out in far less than 10,000 miles if not driven properly. If it is, you'll likely be good for the duration of your ownership. It's going to happen to almost every clutch at some time.

Old 03-22-2012, 09:11 PM
Aerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by denversteve
Possible. A clutch can be burned out in far less than 10,000 miles if not driven properly. If it is, you'll likely be good for the duration of your ownership. It's going to happen to almost every clutch at some time.
Agreed. Clutch life is highly dependent on how the car was driven. It can last anywhere from less than 10K to over 100K miles. If you've only had the car for 2K miles, it sounds like you probably don't really know how the clutch was used in its first 44K miles (assuming this is even the original clutch).

Old 03-22-2012, 09:12 PM
Dharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud of
The clutch on my 2000, which I bought at 4,000 miles, went at about 48,000 miles while on my previous Porsches they all got 100,000+ miles. My only explanation is all the others were bought before I got married, i.e. my wife also drove this car. But actually you see lots of these cars getting new clutches at 50k or so.

Old 03-22-2012, 09:13 PM
jesus less than 10k? How can I make sure I do not burn the next one out? It is my 2nd stick and I feel like I drive it pretty well haha

Old 03-22-2012, 09:15 PM
Originally Posted by Dharn55
The clutch on my 2000, which I bought at 4,000 miles, went at about 48,000 miles while on my previous Porsches they all got 100,000+ miles. My only explanation is all the others were bought before I got married, i.e. my wife also drove this car. But actually you see lots of these cars getting new clutches at 50k or so.
Note to self... dont let gf drive the car.

Hopefully I can get my next clutch to 100k. I plan on keeping this car forever..

Old 03-22-2012, 09:24 PM
rrrruben is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by denversteve
+1

Obviously, the previous owner(s) drove your P-car hard. I see in a previous post that your suspension may have taken a beating as well. I am getting the feeling that you did not take your P-car in for a PPI (Pre Purchase Inspection). A good PPI performed by a good Porsche mechanic would have spotted a failing ball joint, a weak clutch, and perhaps a few more issues. Also, a good PPI includes the number of times your vehicle has seen the redline in it's lifetime. Nonetheless, get your suspension in order,and replace your clutch. And, as long as your tranny is out have the condition of your flywheel, throw out bearing, RMS, and IMS inspected. Finally, get the mechanical condition of your vehicle in order before you proceed with cosmetic or audio upgrades. Good luck.

Old 03-22-2012, 09:25 PM
Aerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant future
Certainly less than 10K would be unusual -- but not unheard of. It would probably be the result of riding the clutch pretty regularly. I think 50K is probably more normal or average.

I don't know if it's really helping or not, but on all the manual cars I've owned, I always spend the least amount of time possible on the clutch pedal. Even at stop lights, I put the car into neutral.

Last edited by Aerodude; 03-25-2012 at 06:19 PM.
Old 03-23-2012, 07:10 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Aerodude
..... Even at stop lights, I put the car into neutral.
Always. Same with the brakes. I rarely use them...

Old 03-25-2012, 06:11 PM
woody6 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by DRKNGHT
So my clutch just started slipping and I am only at 46k miles. Only had car for last 2k miles but I can not imagine it would already need a new clutch. Any other possibilities??
I'm not surprised. I bought my car with ~35k miles from the original owner who I do not believe was hard on the clutch. Likewise, I didn't abuse the clutch. When the car went in for the RMS at 44k miles, I didn't think a clutch would be needed at that time. I was wrong, it was nearly down to the rivits. Your 46k miles is probably where I would have started to notice slippage, had not the rear main seal needed replacement.

--Woody

Old 03-25-2012, 08:34 PM
Had my clutch checked yesterday and mechanic said it does not need replaced. He said it was nice and thick.. hmmmm wonder what the problem might be? I had a full inspection done and everything is running great on the car, firing just like it should, etc. Just changed plugs last week. Maybe I dont know what a slipping clutch feels like and im just being paranoid.

Old 03-25-2012, 08:43 PM
rrrruben is infamous around these parts
Had my clutch checked yesterday and mechanic said it does not need replaced. He said it was nice and thick.. hmmmm wonder what the problem might be? I had a full inspection done and everything is running great on the car, firing just like it should, etc. Just changed plugs last week. Maybe I dont know what a slipping clutch feels like and im just being paranoid.
For the record, one of the most common indicators of a slipping clutch is an increased RPM range as you depress the clutch pedal. It is similar to flooring your gas pedal while in neutral. Or, in other words, the clutch plate would not have any grip, and the flywheel just spins as you apply the gas pedal.

Last edited by rrrruben; 03-25-2012 at 08:51 PM.
Old 03-25-2012, 08:49 PM
Can you say a bit more on how the clutch was checked? I know they can check how the clutch is working, see if the engagement point is too high, and see if there's any slipping at higher gears. But I thought there was really no way to inspect the clutch without dropping the transmission (in which case, might as well have the clutch replaced regardless).

Old 03-26-2012, 05:40 AM
I know the engagement point is awfully high. I hate it! Anyway to adjust that?

Old 03-26-2012, 09:59 AM
turbomik1 is infamous around these parts
I just got my done at 69k, man it fell apart!!!! Seems like clutch on this vehicle gos out about 50- 60k and i'm sure driving habits have alot to do with it too. when got mine done I took a look at the flywheel and it's MASSIVE (Dual Mass) I think this car is a little rough on the clutch to begin with so it does not last as long as other set ups.....I think. Try to stay away from the Dealership, find you a good independent shop cause the Dealership will ripe you a new one!!!! Even so expect to spend between 1,700-2,000. bucks. Good Luck.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Clutch slipping at 46k?