996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

speeding ticket advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-27-2005, 02:29 PM
9112GO is infamous around these parts
Thanks doc,

Yeah, that used to be a fun trip, especially in a good car. It's a chance to move through a whole lot of bad, slow traffic at a reasonable speed and enjoy the pleasure of a nice machine. a long as all you have to worry about are the ground cops and you have a V1 it's not too worrisome but this adds a whole new element to the game

Old 05-27-2005, 02:46 PM
Former Vendor
Wheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond repute
Originally posted by 9112GO
Eli,

The penal code violation reads: 22356 (B) VL exceeding 70 MPH. That's it!

Thanks,

Chuck

According to 2002 version:

subsection (a) no person shall drive a vehicle upon that highway at a speed greater than 60 or 65 miles per hour, as posted

NO SUBSECTION (B) ???? Could have been added 2003-2005

subsection (c) This section shall remain in effect only until the date specified in subsection (c) of Section 22336, and as of that date is repealed.

You can probably plead your case using PC22400 MINIMUM SPEED LAW which states:

No person shall drive upon a highway at such a slow speed as to impede or block the normal and reasonable movement of traffic, unless the reduced speed is necessary for safe operation, because of a grade, or in compliance with law.

I would certainly leave off the last portion of PC22400 simply because they should know this if they're going to oppose it. Trust me none of the officers will walk into court with a full Penal Code book; they usually carry a cheat sheet in lamination.

It's worth a go.....

-Eli

Old 05-27-2005, 03:28 PM
ben, lj has a spectacular aura aboutben, lj has a spectacular aura about
Originally posted by 9112GO
When she told him that she thought that she was going about 75, not 85 he said that 75 was acceptable. I don't know what he meant by that except that's less than 10% over the limit which is usually an acceptable % on a freeway due to speedometer variances, etc. Again, she's got really good notes. They kept her waiting about 15 minutes so she had time to document everything. I doubt that he took the time to write everything down as she did and his reply WILL be brought up if he shows up in court. So, if she says she was going 75 and the air cop says "approximately" 85 and their were 6 cars, then exactly what was each car going and for how long?
bad news is it will be her word against the CHP as to whether he said that or not and i'd bet the judge goes with the cop 100% of the time. and, i'd also bet the CHP wrote down that she claimed to be "only" 10 mph over the speed limit. she'll have to admit to doing 75 mph (10 mph over) to the judge before she can bring up the claim of what the officer said in response. once she does, she's dead.

Last edited by ben, lj; 05-27-2005 at 03:32 PM.
Old 05-27-2005, 04:43 PM
I soon will be a supporting member
dbelleperc is infamous around these parts
22356(b) No person shall drive a vehicle upon that highway at a speed greater than 70 miles per hour, as posted.

It is a very sketchy law.

But when in court you need to ask how they abtained your speed, with an aircraft, radar, etc.

If it is with an aircraft like you think, ask how they were able to track 6 cars at once with a timing device, and if they did use a timing device without radar or lidar as a second device to mark your speed, than that would go into the speed trap law. Also ask your wife if she passed any other cars on the road before she was pulled over because if she did than that would make her a prime target.

Last edited by dbelleperc; 05-27-2005 at 04:55 PM.
Old 05-27-2005, 04:56 PM
Well, the limit out there is 70 so she only admitted to going about 5 over which is pretty slow for that stretch of highway. Maybe illegal but normal and if they tried to enforce the 70 MPH it would take more than a few airplanes. i normally go through there at around 90-95 and I don't pass many people.

But I like Eli's advice to at least show up and look for the cops and if they are there she can always ask the judge to go to traffic school before she has to face the cops.

Lots of good advice.

Thanks guys!

Old 05-27-2005, 05:11 PM
Thanks David,

Hurry up and get through school so you can be the 6speeders attorney Great information! I know where Ben is coming from as we have probably all experienced what he predicts but I'm sure that many of us like Eli and myself have fought these things and won. BTW, she had not passed anyone before they all got pulled over and she was not in the front of the line. she does drive a bit fast in her car but not in the Range Rover and especially with her doggie kids in the vehicle.

We are going to go to court to see what happens and I will post the outcome either way.

Thanks again for all of the great advice from this great forum,

Chuck

Old 05-27-2005, 05:57 PM
Former Vendor
Wheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond repute
Chuck,

Good Luck my man, I'll see about going back to school..... It's a little hard right now but who knows.... A Jurist Doctrine might come in handy one day.....

-Eli

Old 05-29-2005, 11:14 AM
hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !
Just a thought. Are there signs that state clearly that the stretch of road is patrolled by aircraft?? If not.. I wonder if they still can do it... Could be "attrapment" . Fascinating thread.. Welcome to California where the cops collect taxes and create revenue to pay for more cops. Give it another 100 years and we all are cops.
Good luck with the ticket
HarryR