996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Muffler Bypass Exhaust

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 09:08 AM
snwboard333 is infamous around these parts
Muffler Bypass Exhaust

I just recently installed one of these on my 911 and I figured encase any of your are debating installing this, don't judge the sound from youtube videos. A muffler bypass will turn your car into an absolute monster which I am all for but it is entirely louder than I ever expected. Just though I could give advice to anyone looking for a new exhaust

Old 04-05-2012, 12:50 PM
GoAirforce84 is infamous around these partsGoAirforce84 is infamous around these parts
I have this on mine as well, I love it, and as long as I stay under 2k on my street my neighbors don't mind either. LOL
It REALLY makes it sound mean, and I have no drone on the highway, as well as a mean gurgle on the over run.

Old 04-05-2012, 12:53 PM
snwboard333 is infamous around these parts
I'll never forget when I first started the car. My jaw just kinda dropped. Videos did the exhaust no justice.

Old 04-05-2012, 04:24 PM
sk2929 is infamous around these parts
I just changed out my bypass pipes to some 3.4 Fister D's. I cant take it anymore, I need that angry car sound

Old 04-05-2012, 11:13 PM
kchociej is infamous around these partskchociej is infamous around these parts
Did the muffler bypass 2 weeks ago on my 2002 C2.

At first it was almost too loud for me but now I have grown to love the sound. It is VERY loud and sounds awesome. There's a bit of vibration inside when the car is cold, after warm up vibrations go away.

Around 3,000 RPM seems the quietest range for the bypass.

Old 04-06-2012, 08:07 AM
911mike99 is infamous around these parts
Still have my bypass pipes on after 2 years. I get compliments all the time on how good it sounds, especially at red lights. Going through town in 1st & 2nd gear gets heads turning, and a lot of thumbs up. But mine isn't a daily driver. But after a long ride it is nice going from my race car sounding Porsche back into my quiet BMW.

Old 05-05-2012, 06:23 AM
TraderJoe is infamous around these parts
I'm wondering if there are muffler bypass pipes that would contain a small amount of baffle for those of us who want something in between stock and loud. There is a youtube video out there on this but it looks like it was a custom job in FL.

Old 05-05-2012, 07:47 AM
Parkcity911 is infamous around these parts
I bought my car with it on it. At first I was thinking too loud, but then I grew to love it. I too keep it under 3,000 in my neighborhood to keep the neighbors happy. But, who can honestly say they don't ALWAYS punch it when in a tunnel or going under and overpass. Sounds like a friggin all out race car! LOVE it now and would not change back. My friend just bought the Fab Speed system and it sounds good. But in my opinion, mine is still a bit throatier and agressive....to each his own.

Old 05-05-2012, 11:22 AM
TexasZ is infamous around these parts
I tried to order the Fister mufflers but they said it would be a while because they are backed up. How do I get a description of how to do it? I'm sure my muffler shop could do it but I wouldn't know what to tell them.

Old 05-05-2012, 11:25 AM
theoilman is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by TexasZ
I tried to order the Fister mufflers but they said it would be a while because they are backed up. How do I get a description of how to do it? I'm sure my muffler shop could do it but I wouldn't know what to tell them.
Just bring a picture, google Fister D mod and plenty of pics will pop up... The rest is easy. My guy knew what i wanted before I even told him what car I had. There is a waiting list because of the popular exchange system. If you send them yours for modification, it will only take a few days.

Old 05-05-2012, 12:06 PM
phantom works is infamous around these parts
I ran with the bypass pipes for about a month, loved the sound but for a daily driver the the low end torque loss wasn't worth it.
I'm going to try the cat bypass next and see if I can get a happy medium. I know I'll still lose some low end torque just hoping not as much and get some of that growl back.

Old 05-06-2012, 08:46 AM
scantu is infamous around these parts
Im with Phantom on this one!

I couldnt stand the loss of low end tourque. yeah the car "felt" faster on the big end, but that was a feeling you get when you change the tourque curve.

I spent about the same as you would the Fister's... check this out.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...t-exhaust.html

Sounds better than the Fister's in my opinion.. a friend that had those traded his for a set up like mine.

Old 05-06-2012, 11:07 AM
I don't know about the torque, but if you plan on flashing...tell the flash company you choose what mods you have, they can counter any loss of torque in the software. I'm sure catless/straightpipes is even more torque loss with even less back pressure, but all the race cars are like that.

Here is the write up and nice pics: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-complete.html

Went and got my cans hacked this week - oh, wow, what a difference in sound!! Just love it. Wifey, not so much. I still told her it sounds like sweet music. Barely noticeable with cruising speeds and revs and the windows / sunroof up. But give it more throttle or get past 4k RPM and wowwow - PSE sound without PSE price! And with the windows / sunroof open, I can enjoy the sounds at all RPMs. Best return for the $$$ mod I've done so far.

Thanks again BLKonBLK for the referral.

Here's a pic of the weld:

Old 05-06-2012, 11:33 AM
Just posted my exhaust note to you tube. Would love to hear others too. I bought my car this way and am now used to it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t397K...ature=youtu.be

Old 05-06-2012, 12:08 PM
phantom works is infamous around these parts
Wow that does sound good, looks like I'll be making a stop at the muffler shop.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Muffler Bypass Exhaust