996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

What should I do, blind guy hit my car...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 09:38 PM
DRKNGHT is infamous around these partsDRKNGHT is infamous around these parts
What should I do, blind guy hit my car...

Okay so I live in a pretty quiet neighborhood. I came home and driveway was full so I parked on the street like a ton of people do. I have seen this blind man walking with a cane before, it is a big cane, probably 5 ft or so. Anyway I hear a bang and come outside and he was using his hand to feel where my car was as he walked down the side of it. He always walks on the road. Anyway I went and checked my car and sure enough there is a big crack in the back bumper from where he hit it. I feel terrible because he is visually impaired but I do not see how it is my fault as anyone can park along the road. What do you guys think I should do? I don't want to be that dick that complains about the blind guy but I feel that if I do not say something it could just keep happening over and over again to other people or myself. I feel very bad for the situation he is in but he probably did $500+ damage to my car.

Your thoughts???

Old 04-09-2012, 10:25 PM
kchociej is infamous around these partskchociej is infamous around these parts
I don't see the issue at all. Someone has to be responsible for this ...surely it isn't your fault for parking on the street.

The problem that I see now is if the guy will admit fault.

Old 04-09-2012, 10:29 PM
MTV
MTV is just really niceMTV is just really niceMTV is just really niceMTV is just really niceMTV is just really nice
Just kindly ask him if he hit your car.

I'm sure he'll admit to it. Still a sketchy situation though...

Old 04-09-2012, 11:33 PM
rrrruben is infamous around these parts
I had a similar situation years ago. My driveway was full, and I had to park on the street. An nine year old girl parked her bicycle next to my new vehicle. When she attempted to get back on, she lost control and the bicycle fell onto my vehicle. It produced a ding and a paint chip on both my door and rear quarter panel. I could see she was scared and apologetic. I could not bring myself to ask her where she lived so I could inform her parents. I ate the deductible, and never looked back. In your case, the man is blind, and you have been blessed with a Porsche.

Last edited by rrrruben; 04-10-2012 at 02:03 AM.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:21 AM
JoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond repute
he has bigger problems than you. just eat it. you will get brownie points and good karma.

Old 04-10-2012, 06:47 AM
Slik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond repute
Were there any witnesses? With that loud of a bang that you heard it and with an estimate $500+ in damage, he must have been jogging at top speed or else he weighs 400 lb. Maybe he was annoyed at finding an obstable and gave it a deliberate whack with the massive cane. It takes more than a casual tap to crack a Porsche bumper.

Without proof, all you can do is file a claim if it goes over your deductible. The insurance company may want his name if they decide to subrogate. Bad luck - hope there is a chance for a positive resolution. Did you file a police report? It might classify as vandalism - that must have been quite a hit.

Old 04-10-2012, 09:03 AM
tarzancoe is infamous around these parts
Yeah, karma is testing you . Let him be, poor guy. If you talk to him and he is nice and pays, you'll feel even worse.

Old 04-10-2012, 09:29 AM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
Do you have a fiberglass aftermarket bumper? I can't believe a polyurethane factory bumper could crack that easily from just a cane and old man.

I would at the least mention and ask him if he remembers hitting a car with his cane and politely mention that your car was damaged and just leave it at that. If he has the funds, he might offer something but at least now he is aware of the situation and I would hope be more cautious in the future.

I know how it feels though, I have two small toddlers that does some nasty things to my cars and all I can do is shrug it off as they don't know any better.

Old 04-10-2012, 09:30 AM
wyovino is a jewel in the roughwyovino is a jewel in the roughwyovino is a jewel in the rough
+1 on letting it go.

Old 04-10-2012, 12:08 PM
Gonzo911 is infamous around these parts
What goes around comes around. I can't assume, but chances are he has much worse problems than you do. Pay the $500 then cheat on your taxes. Karma says you won't get caught

Old 04-10-2012, 12:40 PM
killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Gonzo911
What goes around comes around. I can't assume, but chances are he has much worse problems than you do. Pay the $500 then cheat on your taxes. Karma says you won't get caught
best response!

Old 04-10-2012, 06:49 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
I hardly believe a person, short of running directly into the car, could crack your bumper. Is he Samoan? Sorry, I had to. My guess would be that it's more likely someone had hit the bumper and the "hard-of-seeing" individual alerted you to it. There's no way you would get any settlement from him unless he agreed to fix it. No one is going to believe a blind guy broke your Porsche.

Old 04-10-2012, 10:25 PM
evil panda is a splendid one to beholdevil panda is a splendid one to beholdevil panda is a splendid one to beholdevil panda is a splendid one to beholdevil panda is a splendid one to beholdevil panda is a splendid one to behold
take the cost of the deductible out of his wallet. he can't see you

Old 04-10-2012, 10:55 PM
theoilman is infamous around these parts
[QUOTE=rrrruben;3511007]I had a similar situation years ago. My driveway was full, and I had to park on the street. An nine year old girl parked her bicycle next to my new vehicle. When she attempted to get back on, she lost control and the bicycle fell onto my vehicle. It produced a ding and a paint chip on both my door and rear quarter panel. I could see she was scared and apologetic. I could not bring myself to ask her where she lived so I could inform her parents. I ate the deductible, and never looked back. In your case, the man is blind, and you have been blessed with a Porsche. [/QUOTE

Great response... Especially the last sentence, couldn't of said it any better.

Old 04-10-2012, 11:14 PM
Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !
I don't know dude... if it's really cracked you got hit by another car and just noticed it because he happened to bump into your car in the same spot.
A scratch or chip I can understand..even a dent on a metal part, but a crack in your bumper!?

Got any pics?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What should I do, blind guy hit my car...