996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Burning oil. Is that normal?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 08:12 AM
wyovino is a jewel in the roughwyovino is a jewel in the roughwyovino is a jewel in the rough
How much does an oil change cost? - Way more than most people are willing to spend. Do it yourself, it's an easy, satisfying job, and you'll save a lot of coin.

Old 04-21-2012, 09:36 AM
Gonzo911 is infamous around these parts
Welcome! I have also noticed a difference in oil levels when using the computer. I agree that checking it at the same time (like in the morning) gives you the clearer picture.

As for the smell...perfectly normal if it smells like a combo oil/clutch/rubber. It's called Porsche Perfume and all new owners (myself included) ask the same question. Enjoy your new car!

Old 04-21-2012, 01:20 PM
nottoshabi is infamous around these parts
Are there manuals on how to for this porsche?

Old 04-21-2012, 06:31 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by wyovino
How much does an oil change cost? - Way more than most people are willing to spend. Do it yourself, it's an easy, satisfying job, and you'll save a lot of coin.
I don't think so. $63 in labor through the dealer is not "more than most people are willing to spend". In fact my time is far more valuable than $60 for 2 hours - driving to the store to get the proper oil/filter, changing the oil, disposing properly of the spent oil. More than worth it.

Old 04-21-2012, 06:36 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by nottoshabi
Ok one last question how much does an oil change cost?
At my dealership it's $165 dollars. About 105 in parts (9-10 quarts of oil, filter and crush ring) plus $60 labor - very reasonable to let pros look under my car to make sure everything is right and that there are no suspicious issues emerging.

Old 04-21-2012, 07:39 PM
nottoshabi is infamous around these parts
Ok perfect that is how much my mechanic charged me. I did not know what the average amount was since I never changed the oil on a porsche before.

Old 04-25-2012, 12:54 AM
jetskied is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by theoilman
First to the OP, welcome to the forums! To be within Porsche's specification the oil consumption rate is 1.6 qts (1.5 liters) per 625 miles (1,000 km). It seems like a lot and most people do not have to add this much oil. Most have to add a quart here and there over their service cycle.

Thanks for the shout out... As I work for one of the major oil companies and specialize in passenger car motor oils I feel it's my duty at times to help people out when I can. A 5W-40 is not a thicker oil than a 0W-40. The first number in the sequence is the viscosity of the base oil at cold temps/stat up temp. Lower the number (typically), the greater protection you have at start up as it takes less time for oil to travel to essential parts of the engine. The second number is your operating temp viscosity. The Mobil 1 0W-40 actually has a very high viscosity index compared to most 40 weight oils if thick oil is what you want (it is thicker than all of the oils listed at operating temp.Pennzoil, Castrol etc)

Now in regards to M1 5W-50, it is so packed with viscosity index improvers that as soon as you turn the car (not really but it might as well) it shears to the equivalent of a 40 weight oil in a very short amount of time. So in the end, you have a 40 weight oil that under performs at cold start up (where most of engine wear occurs by the way) and gets up to temp a lot slower than the 0W-40. Not a bad oil, just better options out there.The ZDDP content in 40 and 50 weight oils are usually very similar as new emission standards only apply to xW-20 and xW-30 oils. ZDDP is known to clog catalytic converters and the movement in the industry is to protect emission systems, that's why you see 'Titanium' being advertised. It is also cheaper to use titanium than ZDDP. On another note ZDDP is an anti wear additive and the 0-40 has plenty of it. Any synthetic really will stand up to thermal break down and heat than a conventional no matter how much ZDDP is there.

I will say this again, the Mobil 1 0W-40 is the gold standard of 40 weight oils and is the best oil that Exxon Mobil makes. It has a ton of engine approvals and is a factory fill/in service fill in more cars than any other oil in the world.

I don't work for Mobil either so this really is an unbiased opinion /rant
A multiweight oil is a thin oil with the properties of a thick oil. So a 0W40 is a 0 weight oil that has protects as well as a 40 weight oil at high temperature. A5W40 is a 5 weight that acts like a 40 weight. So a 5W40 is a thicker oi. At high temps it may not actually protect better, but the extra thickness may resist oil burning due to blow by. No such thing as an oil that thickens as it heats up its the addative package that allows it to protect at tem-perature.