996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

996/997 Carbon Fiber Dual Cone CAI... Finally

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 05:36 AM
TraderJoe is infamous around these parts
The oil pour is nicely held in place by a carbon fiber ring attached to the heat shield.

Old 05-05-2012, 07:07 AM
EHGray is a jewel in the roughEHGray is a jewel in the roughEHGray is a jewel in the rough
That intake looks really nice! Is the filter element dry or oiled?

Old 05-05-2012, 08:46 AM
Originally Posted by EHGray
That intake looks really nice! Is the filter element dry or oiled?
It's oiled. Will have to test whether that throws the cel light over the weekend.

Old 05-05-2012, 12:12 PM
phantom works is infamous around these parts
Man that is a nice looking intake, I wish I would of bought that one instead of the K&N intake.

Old 05-05-2012, 12:14 PM
matthewbounds is a jewel in the roughmatthewbounds is a jewel in the roughmatthewbounds is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by phantom works
Man that is a nice looking intake, I wish I would of bought that one instead of the K&N intake.
x2

Old 05-05-2012, 01:24 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TraderJoe
It's oiled. Will have to test whether that throws the cel light over the weekend.
Joe - are the cones pre-oiled or do you do it yourself? Also, do you know what brand the cones are? It would be pretty easy to change out the cones for dry ones. Also, I've seen far more problems with over-oiling when reapplying oil rather than the original factory oiling. I'm looking forward to getting mine. It's what I've been waiting on. Thanks for the heads-up.

Last edited by denversteve; 05-05-2012 at 01:50 PM.
Old 05-06-2012, 05:47 AM
Hind is infamous around these parts
I'm new to porsche, so this may be a stupid question... What happens if ur driving in the rain? Will water get sucked up in ur intake?

Old 05-06-2012, 08:32 AM
scantu is infamous around these parts
I had one... both cones suck in hot air. The right one doesnt have enough fresh air flow and the left side is 4 inches away from the outside air inlet. When you close the decklid, the rubber cup that is used to seal against the factory air box cuts the path to the filter.

I put the fabspeed single side on and the car felt like it gained 30 hp. probably only 3-4 over stock, but when compared to the dual box, it robbed horsepower like you wouldn't believe. The inlet is longer and seals against the fresh air inlet.

Old 05-06-2012, 10:41 AM
Originally Posted by scantu
I had one... both cones suck in hot air. The right one doesnt have enough fresh air flow and the left side is 4 inches away from the outside air inlet. When you close the decklid, the rubber cup that is used to seal against the factory air box cuts the path to the filter.

I put the fabspeed single side on and the car felt like it gained 30 hp. probably only 3-4 over stock, but when compared to the dual box, it robbed horsepower like you wouldn't believe. The inlet is longer and seals against the fresh air inlet.
I haven't had that experience. I made the mistake of not removing the negative terminal on the battery. Once I did that, the ecu reset and automatically adjusted on start-up as I initially had a sputter from standing still at low rpms. I feel like the responsiveness and growl are awesome. I think it's similar to the Fabspeed but I didn't like the single cone look and they're only making the dual for the 997s. I noted that they are testing a 996/997 as mentioned in the 997 forum. I took it for some spirited driving yesterday and the cones and carbon piping were cool to the touch after. The heat shield is very long and does a great job of keeping the unit cool from what I can see. Further testing is needed but very pleased so far.

Old 05-06-2012, 11:36 AM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
How many miles have you gotten on the new intake? So the battery disconnect completely took care of the hesitation? I'll have one of the best setups for this application. I can open up my deck and let the same cool air in on the right side as the left simply by cutting a hole the same size as the factory hole on the left and installing the rubber funnel.

Last edited by denversteve; 05-06-2012 at 11:59 AM.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:04 AM
dailydriver is infamous around these parts
can't wait to see the finished product, and your thoughts on performance with fresh air on both sides!

Old 05-09-2012, 04:56 PM
delirium is infamous around these parts
That is a really great looking intake, any chance we can get a group buy going?

Old 05-09-2012, 05:03 PM
Originally Posted by delirium
That is a really great looking intake, any chance we can get a group buy going?
That would be between the manufacturer and the organizer (you) to arrange. Give them a call and see how many you would need for a group discount. Then, see about organizing that many buyers for your group plan. I've ordered mine or I would join in. Good luck.

Old 05-09-2012, 09:23 PM
Another P has a spectacular aura aboutAnother P has a spectacular aura about
install time?

How long and how hard to install this setup?

Old 05-10-2012, 11:56 AM
Update. I got the dreaded psm/abs cel. Admittedly, I forgot to wrap the filters in newspaper as suggested on the forum. Rather than mess around, I went to the auto parts store and purchased two AEM dry filters (3x5x5). I also ordered the injen pre filters which are water resistant wraps. I'll post pics but tested 75 miles so far with the AEMs and no issues at all. I do love the growl, a nice improvement over stock and looks just like the ones for the 997's. Steve, let me know how your install goes.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 996/997 Carbon Fiber Dual Cone CAI... Finally