996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

996/997 Carbon Fiber Dual Cone CAI... Finally

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 08:20 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TraderJoe
Update. Steve, let me know how your install goes.
I will. Mine arrived today - 6 days from Europe. Wow. I leave on a two week road trip Tuesday and hope to get it installed before I leave but I don't know if I can. Why did you feel a need to wrap the filters in newspaper? And, how does that work? I'm not sure there is any way to remove any oil from these filters. They are pretty tight and don't appear over-oiled. How long after your dry filter install did the system reset? Did you cut your passenger side deck open yet?

Last edited by denversteve; 05-10-2012 at 09:42 PM.
Old 05-11-2012, 04:18 PM
Brando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud of
Wink

That is a very sexy looking hot air intake.

Old 05-11-2012, 04:29 PM
scantu is infamous around these parts
LOL... my thought exactly!

Old 05-11-2012, 08:42 PM
TraderJoe is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Brando
That is a very sexy looking hot air intake.
Sex sells. You don't need the oversized wing or staggered rims but they sure do look good ;-)

Old 05-11-2012, 08:47 PM
Originally Posted by denversteve
I will. Mine arrived today - 6 days from Europe. Wow. I leave on a two week road trip Tuesday and hope to get it installed before I leave but I don't know if I can. Why did you feel a need to wrap the filters in newspaper? And, how does that work? I'm not sure there is any way to remove any oil from these filters. They are pretty tight and don't appear over-oiled. How long after your dry filter install did the system reset? Did you cut your passenger side deck open yet?
I haven't gotten to the passenger side DIY. My lid is a little more complicated. Yours is perfect for placing another air vent. Will post pics once completed though.

Old 05-11-2012, 08:48 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by denversteve
Repost Joe: Also, did you disconnect the battery and rest the ECU before or after replacing the cones?

Old 05-12-2012, 03:14 PM
Did the install

I did the install today which took about an hour following the directions. The only modification needed was to drill two mounting holes in the base of the heat shield as the factory holes were't even close. Otherwise it's pretty simple. I disconnected the battery during install so everything reset from the start up. Running great.

Original Airbox: Removed Airbox:
New Intake:

Last edited by denversteve; 05-12-2012 at 10:45 PM.
Old 05-13-2012, 12:20 PM
Sweet!

Old 05-13-2012, 03:33 PM
Originally Posted by aRgH
Wow that looks sweet! Where can I find this Intake system?
Look at the first post in this thread. Joe, and afterwards I, got it from EurocupGT. Amazing shipping and quality product.

Old 05-14-2012, 06:28 AM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
That's a very nice looking intake. Let's us know how you like it after you get a few more miles on the car with it.

Old 05-14-2012, 09:42 AM
delirium is infamous around these parts
Beautiful!

Old 06-06-2012, 06:33 PM
delirium is infamous around these parts
anyone with this intake notice a difference in performance, whether good or bad?

Old 06-06-2012, 07:55 PM
Always hard to tell. You certainly won't get worse performance when allowing more air in. Whether there's more or not is impossible to tell. Even 10 horsepower (which is unlikely but would be great) wouldn't be noticeable in a car this fast already. But breathing better is always good and it looks great.

Old 06-20-2012, 03:52 PM
Slopeslider2 has a spectacular aura aboutSlopeslider2 has a spectacular aura aboutSlopeslider2 has a spectacular aura about
Just checking in with you guys that have the intake. Is it sill working well? Any long term issues? We're you able to cut a secondary hole on the right for air flow? If so what if any difference are you seeing in performance? I apologize for the all the questions. Want to get as much insight as I can prior to pulling the trigger .

Old 06-20-2012, 08:04 PM
It's working fine. I cut the right-side air intake and I'm waiting for the air funnel to get here from Porsche so I can match the right side with the left. No obvious performance changes that I can tell. As I've said before it was already stupid fast and I couldn't tell a real difference. But it's the best looking 996 engine compartment I've seen.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 996/997 Carbon Fiber Dual Cone CAI... Finally