996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

996/997 Carbon Fiber Dual Cone CAI... Finally

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 10:00 AM
wpmcgree is infamous around these parts
Follow up

watned to follow up and see if you were able to cut the holes for the two airfilters. Also do you have pictures of this being done and how you did it. Also you said you were waiting on a part from porsche? What is the part? Just bought a 996 and am going to order this intake and want to amke it a true dual intake by making sure it can suck in the cold air from both sides.

Old 06-26-2012, 10:04 AM
wpmcgree is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by TraderJoe
I haven't gotten to the passenger side DIY. My lid is a little more complicated. Yours is perfect for placing another air vent. Will post pics once completed though.

Did you ever get to that air vent opening?

Old 07-01-2012, 06:05 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by wpmcgree
watned to follow up and see if you were able to cut the holes for the two airfilters. Also do you have pictures of this being done and how you did it. Also you said you were waiting on a part from porsche? What is the part?
Of course except that it's just one hole as one pre-existed because of my model. Everything's pretty easy. The part I was waiting for was the air funnel like the OEM one on the other side. I don't do photos when I'm working so, no, no photos. I just used a drill to make pilot holes at the corners then used a Lenox Close Quarters Saw to cut it out in about 5 minutes. Then I inserted the air funnel (my name not theirs) into the hole on the right as seen in the photo. Then I ordered the additional funnel like the one that comes with the kit from the company that sold me the kit. You should, if you want two holes, order it with the kit.

Last edited by denversteve; 07-01-2012 at 06:08 PM.
Old 07-01-2012, 06:26 PM
Taxi! is just really niceTaxi! is just really niceTaxi! is just really niceTaxi! is just really nice
Steve, the intake looks good. You may want to consider cleaning up the rest of your engine bay. Here's a good thread:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...fessional.html

Old 07-01-2012, 06:28 PM
scantu is infamous around these parts
Taxi....

It looks like he drives it daily. why clean it up? Back handed compliments suk.

Old 07-01-2012, 06:33 PM
Slopeslider2 has a spectacular aura aboutSlopeslider2 has a spectacular aura aboutSlopeslider2 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by denversteve
Of course except that it's just one hole as one pre-existed because of my model. Everything's pretty easy. The part I was waiting for was the air funnel like the OEM one on the other side. I don't do photos when I'm working so, no, no photos. I just used a drill to make pilot holes at the corners then used a Lenox Close Quarters Saw to cut it out in about 5 minutes. Then I inserted the air funnel (my name not theirs) into the hole on the right as seen in the photo. Then I ordered the additional funnel like the one that comes with the kit from the company that sold me the kit. You should, if you want two holes, order it with the kit.

Steve looks great. Thanks for posting the pics. Has the throttle response changed with the new Intake?

Old 07-01-2012, 07:08 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
Not that I can say for sure. It was already faster than $&!t. I only get to use about 20% of the skinny pedal as it is. I put it in mainly for appearance and then if it helped breathe or respond quicker, bonus. I haven't noticed any definite change in running. It's probably my grin (permagrin) getting in the way of my butt dyno. Either way, I don't clean the engine compartment. It's an ...... engine compartment. The rest of the car is mint or near mint.

Old 07-01-2012, 07:20 PM
Originally Posted by Taxi!
Steve, the intake looks good. You may want to consider cleaning up the rest of your engine bay. Here's a good thread
Thanks for the tip. If it takes 2 hours to detail the engine compartment, that means hundreds of dollars in lost time, if I'm working. If I'm playing (what I do best) it's 2 hours lost from play time. I would rather pay someone to detail the engine compartment if I was going to have it cleaned.

Old 07-02-2012, 07:35 PM
TraderJoe is infamous around these parts
Steve, nice work on the second vent

Old 07-02-2012, 10:06 PM
Hey. Thanks for finding these and bringing it to our attention.

Old 07-04-2012, 08:25 AM
Originally Posted by Slopeslider2
Just checking in with you guys that have the intake. Is it sill working well? Any long term issues? We're you able to cut a secondary hole on the right for air flow? If so what if any difference are you seeing in performance? I apologize for the all the questions. Want to get as much insight as I can prior to pulling the trigger .
Turned out to be a great mod, pleasing to the eyes and adds a nice sound. I've added injen cone covers that are water repellent for the car wash.

Old 07-05-2012, 02:53 PM
Slopeslider2 has a spectacular aura aboutSlopeslider2 has a spectacular aura aboutSlopeslider2 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by TraderJoe
Turned out to be a great mod, pleasing to the eyes and adds a nice sound. I've added injen cone covers that are water repellent for the car wash.
Hey Joe,

Did you end up cutting a second hole for airflow?

Old 07-06-2012, 06:21 AM
Originally Posted by Slopeslider2
Hey Joe,

Did you end up cutting a second hole for airflow?
Rob,

I still haven't yet, but it hasn't affected drivability. I've been looking at wings and may get something with dual vents built in. The mods never stop...

Old 07-08-2012, 08:06 AM
911mike99 is infamous around these parts
Just order mine Saturday $532 what it came to. How long does shipping take? Not sure what shipping there using, anybody know?

Old 07-08-2012, 08:16 AM
I think mine took 4 or 5 days. Read the early posts. I posted it back then.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 996/997 Carbon Fiber Dual Cone CAI... Finally