996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Do you really need N rated tires?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 04:16 PM
perryinva is infamous around these parts
Plus, if it was "just" a testing thing, then why is it all over the forums that the N spec versions have different tread, stiffer sidewalls, and even different belt compositions inside? So it is obviously more than just "they paid us to test them" or "recommend them" etc, it really seems like there is a reason behind the rating. I've not ever used N spec tires, but I think I will this go around, at the very least to have an educated opinion. Personally, I think it is more a "known" safety and performance combination than anything else, since all Porsches, front, mid or rear engined are recommended to have N spec tires on them. So it's obviously not a 911 thing, or a track thing, or an all weather thing.

Old 05-24-2012, 04:20 PM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
Think about it this way too - those four little patches of rubber are the only thing connecting you to the road. Tires matter.

I keep trying to think of a good analogy here. Heres what i came up with: Imagine if you go out and buy an expensive espresso machine. The manufacturers typically recommend certain coffee beans. They do this because they know you'll get a good, consistent espresso if you follow their recommendations. If you use cheap coffee beans that you buy at your grocery store, your espresso might taste like sh*t. You can't blame the espresso machine maker because you didn't use their recommended beans. On the other hand, your espresso with the cheap beans might be fine for your taste. If that's the case , then you should keep buying the cheap beans. If not, then buy the ones that were recommended by the manufacturer! Or, you may find some boutique high-quality beans that taste better than the recommended beans. Great! Use them! If you want the consistent taste that the manufacturer is trying to achieve, then buy their recommended beans. The same is true with N-spec tires. If you buy N-spec tires, you know exactly what you're going to get. If you don't, you'll have to discover it for yourself (good or bad).

Old 05-24-2012, 08:23 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
Probably not. However, you purchased a Porsche. That then means 1) higher prices for parts, 2) specific coolants, 3) approved oils and fluids, 4) approved tires - with the N rating.

You can change any of these things, and many others, for replacements not approved by Porsche. Why would you want to? Porsche tests specific products for use on their current cars for optimum performance and quality. You bought the best, now use the best. I normally run Michelins on my Porsches but the last set I put on were given to me by my dealer because I've bought 3 cars from them. They are the Bridgestone Potenza S-02. They are N2 rated and perform as well as any tire I've ever driven even on the track. They look great on the car and perform just as well. No reason to not use N rated tires.

Old 05-25-2012, 08:57 PM
SimonP5150 is infamous around these parts
You can use any tire you want aslong as they have the correct speed rating and the XL rated sidewalls. 911's are tail heavy and if you go putting a tire on without a reinforced sidewall, you'll wish you hadn't.. I'm running the Hankook V12's 235 front, 285 rear, have a couple track days on them and couldn't be happier. Great tire for the money, there's a lot of Porsche guys that run them.