996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Do you really need N rated tires?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 09:36 PM
Another P has a spectacular aura aboutAnother P has a spectacular aura about
Do you really need N rated tires?

Another noob post....
I understand that the rear tires of the turbos (all 996s?) wear on the inner edges faster due to camber. Do the N rated last any better? Is it just a status thing? I'm not heading to a track, just dd, so whats the real scoop? Thanks!

Old 05-10-2012, 07:12 AM
NIKAS is infamous around these parts
I gather Michelin Pilot Super Sports are one of the popular replacement tires for P-cars these days, displacing the Michelin PS2's which reigned supreme for years. I don't think the MPSS are indicated as N-rated on Tirerack, but I understand they are pre-installed on some new 991s. Ergo, one would assume they've been vetted...here's more info on N rating:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...&affiliate=FH3

Old 05-10-2012, 07:51 AM
RF5BPilot is just really niceRF5BPilot is just really niceRF5BPilot is just really niceRF5BPilot is just really niceRF5BPilot is just really nice
So, the short answer is, N-rated tires have been tested and proven by Porsche to work well with the car. Given the car's weight bias toward the rear, factors like sidewall flex, tread compound, etc., can make a big difference in how it handles.

Obviously, you own your car and can use any tire you want. You'll find many owners using and promoting other brands. But when you do, you become a test driver. The concern is that you can create unexpected or unusual handling with different brands of tires, or by mixing and matching different tires.

If you want to use a tire that's been proven to work well with your car, use the usually-more-expensive N-rated tires. Some owners scoff at spending money for something like that. (Some motorcyclists scoff at using helmets or headlights at night.) Your choice.

Old 05-11-2012, 03:19 PM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
I've used N-spec and non N-spec tires on my car. At this point, I'm back to N-spec. I know it's subjective, but I feel like the car handles and rides better with N-spec tires. I've had Pirellis and Michelins, and my preference is the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2. One thing is certain, they do not wear better than non N-spec tires.

As noted above, it's your car and it's your call. However, there's more to it than just marketing or status (not that I really think you gain any status by running N-spec tires).

Old 05-11-2012, 04:08 PM
hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !
I have tried them all on my 1999 C2 (SOLD) . Frankly everything is a trade off and if you are cruising around in the USA at the great freeway speeds of ,oohh say 80 miles per hour... an elastic band most likely would do OK. Things change with conditions and type of driving in my opinion. Must say that some of the cheaper versions worked well for me. I include Fuzion, Hankook and a bunch of others. Is there a difference... probably.... are those cheaper tires less safe?? Probably not... Are you saving money? Probably. Are they lasting longer? Yes for sure...

Old 05-11-2012, 04:45 PM
Another P has a spectacular aura aboutAnother P has a spectacular aura about
thats the answer I was looking for! BINGO

Originally Posted by Dennis C
I've used N-spec and non N-spec tires on my car. At this point, I'm back to N-spec. I know it's subjective, but I feel like the car handles and rides better with N-spec tires. I've had Pirellis and Michelins, and my preference is the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2. One thing is certain, they do not wear better than non N-spec tires.

As noted above, it's your car and it's your call. However, there's more to it than just marketing or status (not that I really think you gain any status by running N-spec tires).
That is what I was hoping to hear. I really don't get too excited when I see an N rated tire! Means zip-nada to me. So IF it does not affect wear any different than an N rated tire (ie tire wears better on inside edge) than you have helped me to decide I don't care about N ratings!.

Old 05-11-2012, 04:53 PM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
Glad I could help! I've heard great things about the Michelin Pilot Super Sport. Too bad they don't make them in the proper sizes for wide-body cars.

Old 05-11-2012, 08:25 PM
Aerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant future
Agreed. N rating really means that the tires have been tested and meet the Porsche specs. On the other hand, it doesn't mean that non-N rated tires don't meet specs (although that could be true) -- it just means that they either don't meet spec, or haven't been tested or submitted for such a rating.

Up to now, I've only run N rated tires (MPS2s) because I've been happy with their performance on the street and (occasionally) on the track. Given the factory alignment settings, they've also worn first on the inside of the rears.

I'd be willing to try non N-rated tires in the future. However, I do agree with those that point out that the tires are the only part of your car touching the pavement. It's not necessarily the component you'd want to be cheap on. I understand that it's more important to make sure you don't mix and match brands and/or models of tires on the car. Also, if you have AWD, make sure that the sizes for front/rear are compatible.

Finally, you might also consider the conditions that you'll be seeing. For example, I've been told that the delay in getting an N rating for the Michelin Supersports is due to their (very) cold weather performance. If you're not driving in very cold weather, this may be a non factor for you.

Old 05-11-2012, 11:31 PM
Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 tires are terrible in cold weather, like all "summer only" tires. I'm sure the same is true for the Super Sport. If you drive your 911 in the winter, you should use a dedicated winter tires.

Old 05-12-2012, 04:55 AM
randy308 is infamous around these parts
super sports not yet available in n rating,but coming soon,lot of debate on this subject,imo stick with n rated tires ,why wouldnt you?the car will adapt and run on gas with less octane also,and so on and so on

Old 05-23-2012, 05:23 PM
jefe_not is infamous around these parts
I know there's a list of N-rated tires. And I know it's quite possible that a tire sold on the new 991 was never tested with or for my 996. I think it's too bad they don't also have a list of the tires they've tested that don't meet the requirements. Just curious is all...

Old 05-23-2012, 05:35 PM
spf4000 is a jewel in the roughspf4000 is a jewel in the roughspf4000 is a jewel in the roughspf4000 is a jewel in the rough
N spec tires may be tested on Porsches, but it doesn't make them better tires by any means. If you want more performance, there are numerous "extreme" class tires that can out grip the N specs (I found the N spec to be pretty terrible at the track). If you want a more durable but still similar (slightly better) performing tires, go for the PSS.

Stick with N spec if you're adamant on keeping everything OEM stock and don't mind paying several hundred more.

Old 05-23-2012, 10:08 PM
The Porsche 911 is one of the rare cars that is designed to serve as a daily driver, and to serve as a track car with standard equipment. You don't find this combination very often. You can comfortably drive it to the grocery store, and then drive it 150 mph+ on a track with stock equipment. The things that really matter in extreme track conditions are tires, brakes, etc. Porsche tests these things because they want to stand behind their product. They test certain tires in extreme conditions to ensure that they will live up to Porsche standards and give you the driving experience that you seek.

Porsche can't test every single tire that fits their cars. It's not practical to do so. Because of that, they can't recommend every single tire. They test a small group of tires, and once they determine that they live up to the standards for that car, they are given the "N" specification. This doesn't necessarily mean that they are better than non N-spec tires, it simply means that Porsche has tested them and that they live up to their performance standards. That's all there is to this. If you buy a non N-spec tire, it might be better and it might be worse. The fact is, it hasn't been evaluated by Porsche. You can evaluate any tire based on your own criteria, and make your own decision. Porsche has evaluated tires based on their requirements and given the ones that they like the N specification. You can follow their recommendation or follow your own... it's up to you.

There's no magic here. Porsche is a company that makes high performance cars, and they recommend tires, oil, brakes, etc. that they believe give you the best performance.

Old 05-24-2012, 12:05 PM
Byprodriver is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by spf4000
N spec tires may be tested on Porsches, but it doesn't make them better tires by any means. If you want more performance, there are numerous "extreme" class tires that can out grip the N specs (I found the N spec to be pretty terrible at the track). If you want a more durable but still similar (slightly better) performing tires, go for the PSS.

Stick with N spec if you're adamant on keeping everything OEM stock and don't mind paying several hundred more.
Usually the "N" spec tires are custom tailored for Porsches at the direction of Porsche test drivers in ALL driving conditions. (think hard rain on the Autobahn, & resisting inner treadblock wear leading to excessive noise)
It is easier & cheaper to design a tire to excel in 1 or 2 areas but to be good in all areas takes superior engineering.

Old 05-24-2012, 03:48 PM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Another P
Another noob post....
I understand that the rear tires of the turbos (all 996s?) wear on the inner edges faster due to camber. Do the N rated last any better? Is it just a status thing? I'm not heading to a track, just dd, so whats the real scoop? Thanks!
Late model Porsches might manifest uneven tire wear inside edge wear (both of my cars have) but it is not due to camber, but due to toe being out.

If your car is unevenly wearing the rear tires on their inside edges incorrect toe in is the cause not camber. Get the car properly aligned. However, depending upon the tire wear you might want to hold off until you replace the tires.

As for N-rated vs. non N-rated I've never run anything but N-rated tires. N-rated tires for me on my cars have delivered consistent tire life (barring me allowing the alignment to get out once or twice) and good performance in a variety of driving conditions (except I never track my cars).

From my point of view, I see no reason to use my car as a test platform to qualify other tires. I have better things to do with my time and money.

But you can of course fit whatever tire you want I guess.

Sincerely,

Macster.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Do you really need N rated tires?