996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Need Opinion: Buy or Pass on 01 996

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 03:46 PM
cmweber is infamous around these parts
Need Opinion: Buy or Pass on 01 996

Hello folks,

Thanks in advance for the help. I'm new to Porsche (and certainly the 996), but I have been looking for a sports car and was amazed with my test drive on an 01 996 last week. I no longer have the desire for a Corvette (which was my first choice before last week).

Here's the problem:

This is an 01 996, and the IMS bearing has not been replaced. It has 91,500 miles on it. It also has upgraded 19" porsche wheels/tires. The current owner just had the clutch replaced last year (at 88,000 miles), and he did not have the IMS bearing upgraded. He said that his mechanic said that was not necessary unless the car is raced... He is the 2nd owner and used it as a DD on a short highway commute.

The car is beautifully kept (as far as I can tell), but I'm reading that the IMS problem seems random. With a new clutch, my next chance to combine maintenance will be at over 150,000 miles.

On a side note, the car cranks a little slowly. It starts every time, but it has somewhat of a slow sounding crank. He said it has done this the entire time he has owned it (4 years), and his mechanic said some porsches sound that way because of the high engine compression.

1. Would that scare you away from the car?
2. What else should I check for?
3. Is 18,000 a good price?

Thanks again

Old 05-27-2012, 04:45 PM
Reborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to behold
I bought my 2001 C2 Cab a little over a year ago and have been slowly updating all of the typical parts needed at that mileage. I was smart and did the clutch with new IMS bearing and AOS installed. Also did the brakes, coilpacks, spark plugs and tubes, water pump, and just finished with a ROW M030 suspension install. Be prepared to put some money into it and get a PPI to see what was already done by the current owner and is in good shape. I love my car and was willing to put some work into it so I could enjoy driving it.

Also, I did the ignition switch and window regulators as they were pretty worn out at 90k miles and 11 years of duty.

The slow starting is most likely the battery, mine is a little slow too so nothing I would worry about unless the PPI shows something. The price seems decent and is similar to what I paid for mine.

David

Old 05-27-2012, 04:59 PM
machbx is infamous around these parts
I have an 01 996 c4. I love it. I have heard everything from "low mileage cars have the IMS failures and only have a high mileage car bc that means the IMS would have failed already". (I'm guess on that reason). - to just the opposite. I didn't have a PPI, I would have bought it anyway - I come from a long line american muscle owners - my step dad is the corvette LS6 man. I'm a person interested in good maintenance - very good oil. But that's my opinion ~~~;} I hope you decide on a 996 - I think it's the most underrated car I have ever been in

Old 05-28-2012, 03:53 PM
996_911C2_Dhru is infamous around these parts
I had slow crank on my 2002 for two years until the battery died and I upgraded to this AGM beauty from Sears.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_02850748000P

That is a good price based a national look at autotrader.com.

Since you are new to Porsche and maybe not aware...
The 2002+ models have a few things you might want to consider. Slightly more HP, larger displacement motor, Carrera classic 5 spoke wheels (optional) and Turbo style headlamps. It is known as the MKII. Read more here:
http://www.edmunds.com/porsche/911/2002/

All depends on your budget etc. I preferred the MKII but the premium is probably hard to justify.

Old 05-28-2012, 04:19 PM
Gonzo911 is infamous around these parts
If you are already worried about the IMS then have it upgraded or install the IMSG. Just for your piece of mind. Many here-don't or haven't, but like I said, if it is a problem with you now do it or don't buy a 996. Ulcers suck.

Old 05-28-2012, 05:01 PM
Originally Posted by 996_911C2_Dhru
I had slow crank on my 2002 for two years until the battery died and I upgraded to this AGM beauty from Sears.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_02850748000P

That is a good price based a national look at autotrader.com.

Since you are new to Porsche and maybe not aware...
The 2002+ models have a few things you might want to consider. Slightly more HP, larger displacement motor, Carrera classic 5 spoke wheels (optional) and Turbo style headlamps. It is known as the MKII. Read more here:
http://www.edmunds.com/porsche/911/2002/

All depends on your budget etc. I preferred the MKII but the premium is probably hard to justify.
Thanks for the input. I would rather a 2002 if one were available, but these seem few and far between in Louisiana. This 2001 does have upgraded wheels and an updated headlight kit. Here is a pic:

Name:  porsche 996.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  59.7 KB

Any opinions are much appreciated.

The Carrera writing is just a sticker. I will probably remove it if I buy the car. I just love the clean lines of the car without it.

Old 05-28-2012, 05:09 PM
I love the wheels .. what kind are they? So the upgraded headlamps.. are they the litronics?

Old 05-28-2012, 05:13 PM
The wheels are 19s. I don't know what kind of car they came from, but they are Porsche wheels.

The headlight kit is a piece of color-matched material that separates all of the individual lights within the headlight assembly. I don't know much else about that.

He also has a K&N cold-air induction kit and a muffler bypass (neither installed), and he has a B&M short shifter installed as well.

Old 05-28-2012, 05:21 PM
bzalforno is infamous around these parts
i have a 1999 996 with 95K. i did the upgraded rms with a new clutch at 50, but it has been the most reliable porsche or for that matter, any german i car i have owned. prices have knocked down bu all of the rms ims stories on the web.
do a ppi and buy it if checks out. nice price.

Old 05-28-2012, 08:27 PM
Originally Posted by Gonzo911
If you are already worried about the IMS then have it upgraded or install the IMSG. Just for your piece of mind. Many here-don't or haven't, but like I said, if it is a problem with you now do it or don't buy a 996. Ulcers suck.
Exactly.

Old 05-29-2012, 08:03 AM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
Is that original paint? Did you check for any signs of water damage being in LA?

Old 05-29-2012, 12:38 PM
The color is Zanzibar Red. It is a factory paint job, but it did require repainting due to a parking lot scrape... The owner has pictures.

I'm sure it's not flooded. The owner is good friends with my parents, and it did not flood where he lives. Good point though.

Old 05-29-2012, 01:00 PM
Well, I can understand the right one being hard to find. Seems like anything I liked. I hate the white gauges, clock on the dash and I have an iPhone so I don't want the Nav - all that kind of stuff put me looking at 60k cars. As it was I wasn't looking for a c4 or a cab. And since it had a hard top I'm good. I like the one posted up there. I would take the decal off too. Mine had some mech issues. But I'm still glad I pulled the trigger. Glad every day. Huge Grin. Keep us posted.

Old 05-29-2012, 01:08 PM
bella1 is infamous around these parts
Good Find

Originally Posted by cmweber
The wheels are 19s. I don't know what kind of car they came from, but they are Porsche wheels.

The headlight kit is a piece of color-matched material that separates all of the individual lights within the headlight assembly. I don't know much else about that.

He also has a K&N cold-air induction kit and a muffler bypass (neither installed), and he has a B&M short shifter installed as well.
Looks like a good opportunity. Two things: do not install the K&N Cold Air Induction Kit or the muffler bypass pipes. Sell them on this site and keep what you have. Good luck!

Old 05-29-2012, 02:22 PM
Porsche99 is infamous around these parts
3.4 good to go!

just for the record...................

the 99 -01 have the double roller IMS. Few, if any IMS problems on these 3.4's. the 02+ have the single row IMS and you see many, many failures in the 3.6s..........

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Need Opinion: Buy or Pass on 01 996