996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Fender Bender!! Need advice.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 03:49 PM
EHGray is a jewel in the roughEHGray is a jewel in the roughEHGray is a jewel in the rough
Fender Bender!! Need advice.

Well, I've been in my first accident. Backing out of a parking space and got hit in the passenger side rear bumper. The bumper is done, has a good foot long tear and has spiderweb cracks all over it. Got an estimate for $3500. Apparently Porsche thinks real highly of their bumpers, as it alone is $2100. Luckily the car has no lien and I can get the check cut to me. My cars body is unmodified but i have been thinking about doing some modifications. What good aftermarket bumpers are out there that don't look extreme. Or does anyone happen to have an oem one sitting around they will sell me? And will a MKII bumper fit a MKI?

Old 06-05-2012, 04:19 PM
bornrich is infamous around these parts
I had the same hit on my 81 SC and the bill was over 7K. The hit was hard enough to move the rear of the car to the left by avoer 2 inches. And this was with onbly a partial re-spray. Porsches a $$$ to fix.

Old 06-05-2012, 04:19 PM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
I'm going through the same process. My rear bumper cover gets replaced next week. My total quote was $2,740.43. This assumes that there's no unseen damage under the bumper cover. My quote includes no blending of the paint - they can match the bumper cover without putting any paint on the metal.

The damage wasn't huge - it's hardly visible unless you're looking for it. It does have an impression in the plastic and the paint is cracked around it. I'm looking forward to having it done.

Attached Images  

Last edited by Dennis C; 06-05-2012 at 04:35 PM.
Old 06-06-2012, 04:29 AM
stephan_porsche is infamous around these parts
Might as well put that $3500 towards an Aftermarket Body Kit. Contact the guys at Vivid Racing.

Old 06-06-2012, 08:03 AM
FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by stephan_porsche
Might as well put that $3500 towards an Aftermarket Body Kit. Contact the guys at Vivid Racing.

Oh yeah! That's what I would do.

Old 06-06-2012, 08:04 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
It's just your deductible not $3500. I would be at the body shop within hours and have it back fixed properly in less than a week. Your insurance will pay for the bumper, not a body kit.

Old 06-06-2012, 08:18 PM
EHGray is a jewel in the roughEHGray is a jewel in the roughEHGray is a jewel in the rough
I own the car so the insurance company will cut the check to me for the amount of a reliable estimate. So does anyone know if the MKII bumper will fit my car?

Old 06-06-2012, 09:29 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
dennis, that bumper looks totally fixable without even taking it off the car. a few hours of paintwork.

EHGray, i don't think MK1 vs MK2 are interchangeable due. the tail light profile is different. some people have done tail light conversion along with the bumper upgrade so it can be done if you change both and may need to do some fitting.

when this happened to me a few years back, i found a same color bumper cover in excellent condition. drove 8 hrs to pick it up. it was worth the drive as the color match is perfect and price was only $500. do some search on a number of porsche forums, ebay, craigslist. someone should have a take off

if you get an aftermarket, the fitment may not be as good and you'll still spend a few grand after paintwork. a good body shop can repair the bumper too.

Old 06-07-2012, 07:12 AM
Thanks for the info. I didn't know the taillights were that different.