996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Amplifier Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 01:15 PM
Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !
Amplifier Question

I posted this question in the 996 turbo section, without a lot of help.

Hopefully someone here can give me some insite.

Here's the original post.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-question.html

Thanks in advance,
Steve

Old 07-16-2012, 01:38 PM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
In 2001 cars, the Bose system wasn't an option to my knowledge. This may be a good thing for you. I've heard that Bose systems are frequently incompatible with aftermarket components due to impedance differences and other issues. If yours is made by another company, such as Becker, then you may be able to bypass this issue and use an aftermarket headunit with this amp. Unfortunately, I don't know for a fact that it will work.

Another good thing for you is the fact that your car was built prior to the introduction of the MOST fiber-optic system in 2003. Again - this increases the likelihood that an aftermarket headunit will be compatible with your amp.

FWIW - I replaced my entire system when I did my upgrade. I put in a new Kenwood double-DIN nav unit, new Focal 4-channel amp and new Focal speakers all the way around. I still believe that the speakers are the weak link in the system. Not only are yours 11+ years old, they were cheap units when they were new.

You might try calling Becker and seeing if this amp is their unit and whether an aftermarket headunit is compatible.

Good luck with your installation. When it's finished, you'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner!

Old 07-16-2012, 01:38 PM
FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !
I'm not the person to answer this but I might offer this. I would go talk to the service manager at your local dealer and see if they could offer some assistance. If not, ask them who does their audio work, most shops farm this out, and talk to them. As a last resort see if there is an audio shop who sells the unit locally and go to them.

Hope this helps some......

Old 07-16-2012, 02:09 PM
dailydriver is infamous around these parts
Is everything working as it is today (headunit, speakers, etc.) Chances are it will work with the aftermarket kenwood, but it sounds like you may need to do some digging to figure out how everything is installed today.

Where does the red power wire connected to the battery go? Is it connected to anything on the other end? I suspect that the previous owner may have had an upgraded stereo system (and amp) installed and pulled it out prior to the sale and dropped in some cheaper stuff just to have it all working. It is curious that he/she would have left the power wire in the car, if they took the time to remove / reinstall everything else.

I would be curious to know if the factory wiring harnesses behind the headunit or connected to the amp are intact or if they are cut & spliced. Can you follow the wiring coming off the amplifier to see if those wires are cut and spliced anywhere?

Either way, if it is working now, chances are it will work fine with the new radio, you may just have a few complications depending on what has been done previously. I managed a high end car audio shop for a number of years, and installed an aftermarket kenwood in my '02 so I will be happy to help wherever I am able. I'll be watching the thread so let us know how you are progressing.

Old 07-16-2012, 02:53 PM
Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !
All the equipment I currently have appears to be the factory original stereo.

I guess the simple question is does anyone currently have a Porsche ATP 400X amp running with an aftermarket head unit?

Later, Steve

Old 07-16-2012, 04:32 PM
One more thing, I don't believe the car has ever had an aftermarket stereo. The big red wire is running to the factory amp.

Later, Steve

Last edited by Steve Jarvis; 07-16-2012 at 05:03 PM.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:31 PM
invius is infamous around these parts
When I bought my 996 ('99 C2) it had an aftermarket Blaupunkt head unit in it. Now here's the tricky question -- I still have the factory amp, but am not sure if it is even functioning or turned on, how would I know? For what I'm looking to do, I'm either going to replace it, or bypass it if it isn't working. I can't stand the "tinny" quality of the speakers. I just pulled one out (I also have the "hi-fi" option, as do you, which includes speakers in the dash, door, and rear of the car). I can tell you that a cable running to the positive of the car battery is definitely aftermarket, as I still have the factory amp and do not have that. So you may not have one now, but it sounds like there used to be an aftermarket amp in your car at some point.

DS

Old 07-16-2012, 09:00 PM
The battery has been replaced with a smaller battery and I believe this is why the positive cable is so visible. I can assure you it's the original power wire for the factory amp.

I found the wiring diagrams for both the M680 (which isn't supposed to work) and the M490 (which is supposed to work). My amp has the wiring of the M490, so I believe it will work.

I'm going to order the new head unit tomorrow, I'll let everyone know how it turns out.

Later, Steve

Old 07-17-2012, 06:37 PM
Good luck with the new head unit. I'm sure I don't have the original battery as I have a '99, but I'm also sure that there is not a power cable that attaches directly to the positive terminal...interesting.

Old 07-18-2012, 11:04 AM
It appears that the amp is part of some sort of retro fit kit. I'm not sure why the 996 turbo needed a retro fit kit, but this may explain the unusual amp and wiring.

Maybe that car came with the NAV, but no door speaker and the kit was added later. It apear my door speaker enlcosures are also non standard.

Here's a picture.

Later, Steve

Old 07-18-2012, 07:51 PM
Yeah, your door speaker housings don't look anything like mine. I prefer yours though; you should EASILY be able to put a larger diameter speaker in there (in my 996, with the laughable Hi-Fi "upgrade", all of the speakers are 4"...so NO mid or low range, just a ton of highs). Plus, yours shows less carpet/upholstery. Not that I'm not a fan of carpet on a door....oh wait, I'm not.

Old 07-19-2012, 01:08 AM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
Sounds like that's a good thing - it will most likely work fine with the aftermarket headunit you want to install...

Old 07-22-2012, 11:06 AM
Installed the new head unit yesterday and everything worked great.

Later, Steve

Old 07-22-2012, 05:02 PM
Awesome, glad to hear it.

DS

Old 12-04-2012, 04:43 AM
budilau is infamous around these parts
i have i new amplifier Porsche ATP 400 X for sale.
anybody interested?