996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Tire Question -- N3 Rating vs. N4

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 07:09 AM
Long Islander has a spectacular aura aboutLong Islander has a spectacular aura about
Tire Question -- N3 Rating vs. N4

I'm about to order a set of 18" tires. I see that both Michelin (Pilot Sport PS2) and Pirelli (P Zero Rosso) make Porsche-spec "N-rated" tires. The Michelin are rated N3 and the Pirelli are N4. Is there a reason to prefer one over the other? Is N4 a newer design?

BTW, my original 17" tires are Michelins with an N1 rating.

Also, anyone have any experience with Tread Depot?

Old 07-18-2012, 08:07 AM
RF5BPilot is just really niceRF5BPilot is just really niceRF5BPilot is just really niceRF5BPilot is just really niceRF5BPilot is just really nice
Technically, N4 meets newer standards than an N3, but any N-rated tire is approved by Porsche and should do fine. Make your choice on the individual qualities of the tire.

Unlikely, but suppose you find a batch of tires at a shop that are a mixture of N2's & N3's within the same make of tires, then try to keep the ratings consistent within the set you're putting on the car. (Preferably the newer ratings as it implies that the tires have been redesigned, so you may as well get the newest tires.)

No experience with Tread Depot.

Old 07-18-2012, 03:17 PM
function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !
IIRC All N rated tires will start as a N0. As that mfg updates that model it will get a higher N number. I.E. N0 then N1 then N2 and so one. A Pirelli N3 would have NOTHING in common with a Michelin N4 and just because the Michelin is a N4 does NOT mean it is a newer version then a Pirelli N3. It just means the Michelin is now on the 5th generation of that model tire.
Do you have to run N rated tires on your Porsche? No. Does Porsche recomend it? Yes. But that is a whole different can of worms on N rate or not N rated.

Old 07-18-2012, 04:00 PM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
You are correct.

Old 07-18-2012, 04:17 PM
jaybr is infamous around these parts
Check the tread depth. They are not the same on Michelin N3 and N4 and P Zero N4. While the differences are small, any additional depth may help with tread wear.

Old 07-18-2012, 06:25 PM
Long Islander has a spectacular aura aboutLong Islander has a spectacular aura about
Thanks everyone. I'm going to order the Michelins because I understand that they're more comfortable. I still have the original 17" wheels and tires that came with my car when new, so I'm a little concerned about a stiffer ride with the 18" tires.

I ordered 18" Sport Techno wheels and I'm really looking forward to the new look. I'll take before and after photos when I have them installed.

Old 07-18-2012, 08:21 PM
perryinva is infamous around these parts
From my research, I found more people like the N rated PS2s than the PZeros, especially after some wear. Good choice, IMHO. BTW, I got mine from Costco, installed, far cheaper ($1400 total), and really nice job, too, with hazard insurance and N2 fill.

Old 07-19-2012, 07:25 AM
function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !
If you want a cheap but good every day tire then look into the Sumi's. Very good tire for the price for regular street driving. They are NOT N rate though.

Old 07-19-2012, 09:19 AM
perryinva is infamous around these parts
Do not get the Sumi HRTZ-IIs. They are total crap, performance, noise, handling, flatspotting, wet..you name it..except wear. They wear fantastic. I ijust got rid of my set to go with the N3 PS2s. The fronts still had 6/32 on the front, and the rears had 4 on th einside and 7 on the outside after ~18k miles. I understand the HRTZ-III is a much better tire.

Old 07-19-2012, 09:42 AM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
I bought a set of HRT-ZIIIs. I got about 15,000 miles out of the rears, and I still had more tread left on the fronts. I got rid of them and went back to PS2s because of the noise and reduced cabability of the Sumis as they wore. They were good for the first 5,000 miles or so, and they went downhill fast after that. The car feels better than ever with PS2s and a fresh alignment. Personally, I won't buy Sumis again. I had a similar experience with Hankooks. I was never particularly happy with Pirelli P-Zeros. My best experience has been with Michelins and Continentals.

Old 07-19-2012, 01:24 PM
Byprodriver is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Dennis C
I bought a set of HRT-ZIIIs. I got about 15,000 miles out of the rears, and I still had more tread left on the fronts. I got rid of them and went back to PS2s because of the noise and reduced cabability of the Sumis as they wore. They were good for the first 5,000 miles or so, and they went downhill fast after that. The car feels better than ever with PS2s and a fresh alignment. Personally, I won't buy Sumis again. I had a similar experience with Hankooks. I was never particularly happy with Pirelli P-Zeros. My best experience has been with Michelins and Continentals.

+1 on Mich. & Conti! Traditionally Contis have a harder rubber compound & last a long time if maintained properly, but they are becoming more Hi Perf oriented. Mich usually has the highest percentage of natural rubber content which I assume is the secrect to their overall superiority.

Old 07-19-2012, 01:29 PM
Byprodriver is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Oggie (on L.I.)
Thanks everyone. I'm going to order the Michelins because I understand that they're more comfortable. I still have the original 17" wheels and tires that came with my car when new, so I'm a little concerned about a stiffer ride with the 18" tires.

I ordered 18" Sport Techno wheels and I'm really looking forward to the new look. I'll take before and after photos when I have them installed.
Michelin Super Sports are replacing the MPS2's they ride better & are cheaper but are too new for the N rating. I love mine on both cars!

Old 07-19-2012, 02:21 PM
Super Sports are getting very high praise. I wish they made them in the proper size for the rear tires on a C4S.

Old 07-19-2012, 02:55 PM
damon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond repute
Oggie, please give me a call if I can help.

**Don't forget to add my name to online orders!**

Or use this link:
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=BH1&url=index.jsp