996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Tire wear ? on Michelin Pilot A/S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 10:53 AM
machbx is infamous around these parts
Tire wear ? on Michelin Pilot A/S

Hello my experts - I have a tire wear question - I have Michelin Pilot Sport A/S on my c4 (Rear Tires, the 265's). I bought these tires 6/11. Well, I have a wonderful 6 inch bolt stuck in the middle of the tread, driver side - so - new tire and I have Extended warranty.

Dobb's here in STL, said that they will pro-rate the tire @170. (They were 400 ea)

So here's my question - in less than 4,000 miles, half of the tread is gone? How many miles was I supposed to get I have seen on the forums that usually about 12-15k depending how you drive.

What's the deal - I am prepared to in there half pissed off- or should I be grateful???

Old 07-19-2012, 11:54 AM
Pors-Vette is a jewel in the roughPors-Vette is a jewel in the roughPors-Vette is a jewel in the rough
Is this on the tire you replaced or the entire set of tires?

Old 07-19-2012, 12:13 PM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
Your alignment specs will have a considerable impact on your wear and tread life. Also, different tires wear at different rates. I've never used the tire you have, but I've used several other brands. As an example, my Pirelli P-Zero Rosso tires lasted about 8K miles for the rears and about 15K for the fronts. It's normal to go through two sets of rears for every one set of fronts...

Old 07-19-2012, 12:23 PM
Originally Posted by Pors-Vette
Is this on the tire you replaced or the entire set of tires?
Replaced the two rears 6/11. And the bolt is is one of them.

Old 07-19-2012, 12:24 PM
Parkcity911 is infamous around these parts
Measure the tread depth on the inside 1st running groove of the rear tire in question. It came with 10/32nds. 2/32nds is basically zero or worthless. So, if our at 6/32nds or less you're at half use. You only have 8/32's of good use. Of course, if you're at 8/32nds now...barter with him and why you reached your reasoning. Good luck and keep us posted. If you could get away with it, measure in the middle or outside edge....:-)

Old 07-19-2012, 12:25 PM
Parkcity911 is infamous around these parts
Yep, 1/2 way back. Did he give you credit for both to match them up? Good work.

Old 07-19-2012, 12:26 PM
Originally Posted by Dennis C
Your alignment specs will have a considerable impact on your wear and tread life. Also, different tires wear at different rates. I've never used the tire you have, but I've used several other brands. As an example, my Pirelli P-Zero Rosso tires lasted about 8K miles for the rears and about 15K for the fronts. It's normal to go through two sets of rears for every one set of fronts...
Makes sense. An alignment was done at the time the rears were purchased. I have the alignment numbers. But I have heard a little here and there that the alignment should be different than what Porsche calls for- but camber and toe aren't in my knowledge.

Old 07-19-2012, 12:41 PM
Pors-Vette is a jewel in the roughPors-Vette is a jewel in the roughPors-Vette is a jewel in the rough
I've got 12,000 miles on Michelin PS2's and have more than half the tread still on them.

Old 07-19-2012, 12:57 PM
Byprodriver is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by machbx
Hello my experts - I have a tire wear question - I have Michelin Pilot Sport A/S on my c4 (Rear Tires, the 265's). I bought these tires 6/11. Well, I have a wonderful 6 inch bolt stuck in the middle of the tread, driver side - so - new tire and I have Extended warranty.

Dobb's here in STL, said that they will pro-rate the tire @170. (They were 400 ea)

So here's my question - in less than 4,000 miles, half of the tread is gone? How many miles was I supposed to get I have seen on the forums that usually about 12-15k depending how you drive.

What's the deal - I am prepared to in there half pissed off- or should I be grateful???
Hopefully you have a written road hazard warranty so you can be sure the dealer complies with the terms of the warranty. Normally the way it works is you are paying extra to insure you get the full use of the tire even if you hit something that ruins the tire. It is based on treadwear not accumulated mileage. So new tire has 10/32"to 9/32" tread depth. Tire is legally worn out & must be replaced when 2/32" or less remain. So if that tire came with 10/32" tread new - the 2/32" which is "illegal" to use that leaves 8/32" of usable tread. OK so you F/U a tire & return to dealer & they measure current tread at 6/32"- 2/32" that leaves 4/32" usuable tread remaing you did not get to use because of road hazard. So you are due a new tire for 1/2 price. Knowing all this you have measured the tread with your tread depth gauge BEFORE arriving at the dealer so you know what you are owed. IF the tread depth varies from side to side on the tire it is negotiable as to what tread depth is used to figure your adjustment. Mounting & balancing charges for the new tire vary with your insurance policy but often are waived to please upset customers. NOW sales people often have financial incentives to sell you roadhazard insurance. Your insurance on the dead tire has paid off & expired. IF you say you won't pay for the insurance on the new tire often the sales person will sweeten the deal IF you agree to buy the insurance on the replacement tire!

Old 07-19-2012, 01:02 PM
FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !
Ok here you go

Have your alignment checked. Porsche recommends a 2 degree "toe out" on the rears for inexperienced drivers which means they sit with the front of the tire slightly pointing out, like the way ducks feet go this, in essence causes the rear of the tire to "scrape" slightly which causes the inside to wear, have the toe out removed. Second, have a little of the excess negitive camber removed, this should give you better wear and longer tire life.

Old 07-19-2012, 02:00 PM
Byprodriver is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Parkcity911
Measure the tread depth on the inside 1st running groove of the rear tire in question. It came with 10/32nds. 2/32nds is basically zero or worthless. So, if our at 6/32nds or less you're at half use. You only have 8/32's of good use. Of course, if you're at 8/32nds now...barter with him and why you reached your reasoning. Good luck and keep us posted. If you could get away with it, measure in the middle or outside edge....:-)
I didn't mean to duplicate your info, although I agree, you posted this while I was leisurely composing my not so short story on the same subject.