996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Installed B&M tranny short shifter

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 06:25 AM
jacksonporsche is a jewel in the roughjacksonporsche is a jewel in the roughjacksonporsche is a jewel in the roughjacksonporsche is a jewel in the rough
Hasn't fallen on deaf ears.... What you're saying makes sense. We're talking about adjusting a cable here. I just don't know why this mechanic who has supposedly seen this before would think he needs a special plastic tool to do it?

Old 08-01-2012, 10:51 AM
Sleek996 is infamous around these parts
A lot of shop will tell you special this, special that for a special price not in a good way. )

Old 08-01-2012, 01:20 PM
MadeInPorshe is infamous around these partsMadeInPorshe is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by jacksonporsche
Hasn't fallen on deaf ears.... What you're saying makes sense. We're talking about adjusting a cable here. I just don't know why this mechanic who has supposedly seen this before would think he needs a special plastic tool to do it?
You DO NOT need a special tool, i was having similar issues with mine, i couldn't get into reverse, i just adjusted the linkage cables my self just now with out a "Special" tool and now its good as new! Actually even better! Gonna go hit some boost now

Old 08-01-2012, 02:05 PM
scats is infamous around these parts
For $12 why wouldn't you buy the tool. Technically needed or not.

Old 08-04-2012, 06:52 AM
perryinva is infamous around these parts
For the under tranny SSK, you may have the same issue I had in all the even gears, where the circular mass weight attached to the linkage on the tranny is hitting the bracket that holds the SSK in place. It was slight, maybe 1/16", but enough that the even gears were hard to get in to and could pop out. I just dremeled an arc in the bracket. It's easy, even with it in place. If you get under the car (safely) and put it in 2nd, you will see how close to the bracket that weight is, and where you need to dremel. Takes about 5 minutes to do. Then I just used some black Rustoleum touch up, and it was perfect. I had the in cabin B&M (the real one) and removed it, as it was just too notchy for me. FWIW, you do not need the special tool, it's obvious once you have it open, what does what. The "tool" holds the shift lever in place so when the cables are adjusted to fit, then when in neutral it is right between 3rd & 4th.

Old 08-04-2012, 07:28 AM
JimmyHelu is infamous around these parts
I got mine used and it was pretty much plug and play. The shifter works fine.. did the original one have trouble fitting our transmission completely or was it just not a good fit?

Old 08-04-2012, 01:33 PM
jhthornley is a glorious beacon of lightjhthornley is a glorious beacon of lightjhthornley is a glorious beacon of lightjhthornley is a glorious beacon of lightjhthornley is a glorious beacon of lightjhthornley is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by MadeInPorshe
I just installed a short shifter as well, but mine is the shifter version in the cabin.
Everything is awesome! except i cant find reverse and it feels all the shift points has move over one to the left, 1st feels like where reverse would be and reverse is pretty much not there.

I believe this be the shifter linkage cables need adjusting
U r correct... The left hand shift linkage controls the side to side motion of the shifter... sounds to me like the cable was reinstalled either too deep in the linkage or too shallow (sorry, I can't remember which way you need to go)

Once you get that linkage right, reverse will be easy to find, and your 1-2 issue will be resolved.

JT

Old 08-04-2012, 02:04 PM
jzarrabi has a spectacular aura aboutjzarrabi has a spectacular aura aboutjzarrabi has a spectacular aura about
I had the B&M undercar SSK installed for a few weeks. The shifts were amazingly short, however 2nd gear would pop out on occasion and 1st was sometimes hard to find for some reason. I had it set to the greatest shift reduction hole. Anyways rather than playing with it I uninstalled and am running stock until I get a 997 shifter installed.

Anyone looking for an undercar SSK? I would let mine go for a good price since its just sitting in the garage