996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Installed B&M tranny short shifter

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 07:14 PM
jacksonporsche is a jewel in the roughjacksonporsche is a jewel in the roughjacksonporsche is a jewel in the roughjacksonporsche is a jewel in the rough
Installed B&M tranny short shifter

I had the b&m short shifter installed today. The little plate version that goes down under the car.

The results right now are not good. First thing I noticed was second is a little hard to find. I really have to focus on pulling back and kind of shuffling the lever back and forth to avoid grinding the gears. The other thing is there is a high pitch noise under hard acceleration in first gear....

Please advise.......

Old 07-30-2012, 07:23 PM
jacksonporsche is a jewel in the roughjacksonporsche is a jewel in the roughjacksonporsche is a jewel in the roughjacksonporsche is a jewel in the rough
Also had the rims refinished (had a little curb rash) and new tires. Got the GT3 front installed... looks great. Got the LLoyds rubber mats (killer look)

Old 07-30-2012, 08:08 PM
azaytsev has a spectacular aura aboutazaytsev has a spectacular aura about
The same here, I had very hard time shifting into second gear. Went from 30% to 15% reduction and it did not make any difference so I reverted everything back to stock

Old 07-30-2012, 08:32 PM
Azaytsev, How long did you drive it like that for? I picked up the car today and really realized it was a problem shortly after. I'm a bit nervous about it.

Old 07-30-2012, 08:32 PM
And thank you.. Good call. That's what I'm gonna do too.

Old 07-31-2012, 07:27 AM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
Were your shift cables adjusted or readjusted properly? That would be the only thing I can think of.

Old 07-31-2012, 07:46 AM
scats is infamous around these parts
I have one sitting in my garage ready to install when I do my 30K service soon. I am interested to see how this gets resolved.

Old 07-31-2012, 12:10 PM
MadeInPorshe is infamous around these partsMadeInPorshe is infamous around these parts
I just installed a short shifter as well, but mine is the shifter version in the cabin.
Everything is awesome! except i cant find reverse and it feels all the shift points has move over one to the left, 1st feels like where reverse would be and reverse is pretty much not there.

I believe this be the shifter linkage cables need adjusting

Old 07-31-2012, 12:40 PM
I believe you guys may be right. I took it to another shop who told me adjusting the linkage cables would fix it. Although the guy told me he needed a special tool to do it and I couldn't wait for him today. More importantly, he pointed out the leak coming from either the RMS or IMS! I just had the RMS, clutch and flywheel replaced last year. This is about to get expensive

Old 07-31-2012, 01:06 PM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jacksonporsche
I believe you guys may be right. I took it to another shop who told me adjusting the linkage cables would fix it.
You don't need any special tools to adjust the cables themselves, unless you consider your hands to be special.

Old 07-31-2012, 01:21 PM
MadeInPorshe is infamous around these partsMadeInPorshe is infamous around these parts
How do you know how much to adjust and how to adjust?
I reinstalled my linkage cables exact positions where i uninstalled them.

Old 07-31-2012, 01:36 PM
Originally Posted by MadeInPorshe
How do you know how much to adjust and how to adjust?
I reinstalled my linkage cables exact positions where i uninstalled them.
Generally Porsche shifters come with a bracket that aligns the shifter.

This example is orange but IIRC it can be also blue or green.

This won't fit B&M and certain aftermarket shift rods but the OP has original lever so it should fit. Clamp this onto your shifter and adjust cables as necessary until they are snug.

Porsche Part #: 000 721 961 90

I've been doing a lot of spoon feeding lately but if you "search" all the info is right here or on one of the accompanying Porsche forums. Your Welcome.

Old 07-31-2012, 02:26 PM
No special tools required? man, I just don't know what or who to believe...

Old 07-31-2012, 02:42 PM
Originally Posted by jacksonporsche
No special tools required? man, I just don't know what or who to believe...
Ok I tried to help you out but if fallen on deaf ears, I'll just stay quiet next time.

Believe someone who has done it half a dozen or so times.

Old 08-01-2012, 12:16 AM
Sleek996 is infamous around these parts
Alpine is right, no special tool needed. I install my b&m about 1 1/2 year ago and it's the best mod. Get yourself a different shop...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Installed B&M tranny short shifter