996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

question for cab owners who also have a hardtop

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 08:21 PM
kromdom is infamous around these parts
question for cab owners who also have a hardtop

Is there an insert/tab in the hole where the pins go into (pls see below pic from the owner's manual, its part J).

Would appreciate it if you can pull the part # for it. I thought below were the part #s for it but online sellers are stumped. TIA for any help.

PART#27: 996 563 509 00: support for lining LEFT
PART#27: 996 563 510 00: support for lining RIGHT

Old 08-22-2012, 10:17 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
If you're asking about a plastic plug for the hole shown the answer is yes. I believe they are about $15 each. I don't have a part number but your dealer does.

Old 08-22-2012, 11:07 PM
thanks for your input, Steve. I already have the round cap (part C in picture I posted). I am asking about part J (notched piece in the hole itself). In another forum, someone stated it is a plastic snap on piece to guard against scuffs/scratches

Old 08-23-2012, 06:59 AM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
The only thing there (where J is indicated) are the covers for your automatic rollover protection. They don't come off. I'm confused about the instructions as you don't remove the covers to install or remove the hardtop.

Old 08-23-2012, 07:45 AM
Steve, a member in another forum said he did get the "J" pieces when he took delivery of his car (bundled with owner's manuals, etc.)

Below is a close up pic of the actual piece:

Old 08-23-2012, 07:49 AM
There is no such piece or cutout on my cab. It doesn't exist. I simply have a round opening for the lock. It's a mistake in the book for earlier or later models. The only two pieces available for removal on my car are the round "C" pieces. My owner's manual shows the "J" piece but it doesn't apply to my car. Additionally, the top photo you show appears that someone is simulating installing a Targa top. What year is your Cab.? My 1999 doesn't have them and there's no reason for them. Removal and installation of the hardtop works perfectly with the round hole.

Last edited by denversteve; 08-23-2012 at 07:59 AM.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:01 AM
mziegler38 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by denversteve
There is no such piece or cutout on my cab. It doesn't exist. I simply have a round opening for the lock. It's a mistake in the book for earlier or later models. The only two pieces available for removal on my car are the round "C" pieces. My owner's manual shows the "J" piece but it doesn't apply to my car. Additionally, the top photo you show appears that someone is simulating installing a Targa top. What year is your Cab.? My 1999 doesn't have them and there's no reason for them. Removal and installation of the hardtop works perfectly with the round hole.
Same here, only the round plug. Mine is a 2003 C2 Cab.

Old 08-23-2012, 08:13 AM
Steve, I have an 02. Over @ Rennlist, 2 members have verified seeing the J piece in their own cars and a member just posted the part # for those who may be interested: 996.563.421.01, Hardtop Latch CV
Completely agree, use of the hardtop WITHOUT this J piece has been OK for me as well. Thanks all for your replies.

EDIT: Loren @ Renntech posted a picture of the actual plastic piece (link below)......from a thread waaaaaay back in 2003. Price is around $4.00 each

http://www.renntech.org/loren/images/99656342101.jpg

Last edited by kromdom; 08-23-2012 at 12:18 PM.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:32 AM
RF5BPilot is just really niceRF5BPilot is just really niceRF5BPilot is just really niceRF5BPilot is just really niceRF5BPilot is just really nice
Those protectors are easy to lose. At least the 2002 onward came with them. Can't speak to earlier models. Sorry, don't have a part number for you. But they come off for the summer when you just put the round covers on the holes, on for the winter when you reinstall the hardtop. Nice to have, not required.