996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

HID Kit Update.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 11:51 AM
Szymon Kowalczyk is infamous around these parts
HID Kit Update.

I've been searching for a HID Kit for my 996 the last few days, I searched through some old threads but didnt see anything new. There are new kits coming out daily and was wondering if anyone recently bought a HID Plug in Kit H7 with the slim ballast that they would consider.......Thank You

Old 08-27-2012, 09:08 PM
white99c2 is a glorious beacon of lightwhite99c2 is a glorious beacon of lightwhite99c2 is a glorious beacon of lightwhite99c2 is a glorious beacon of lightwhite99c2 is a glorious beacon of light
I did install a kit on my '99. It is a snap. Drill a hole through the black plastic cover on the rear of the headlight assembly. Mount the ballast on the outside of that cover. Run the wires from the ballast through the hole you drilled. Put headlight back in place, test and when you're satisfied with your job remove the headlight again and dab some clear silicone in the hole that the wires pass through to keep any dirt or dust from getting inside the headlight assembly.
It's a very easy job, 15 or so minutes per side.

Old 08-28-2012, 01:39 PM
Originally Posted by white99c2
I did install a kit on my '99. It is a snap. Drill a hole through the black plastic cover on the rear of the headlight assembly. Mount the ballast on the outside of that cover. Run the wires from the ballast through the hole you drilled. Put headlight back in place, test and when you're satisfied with your job remove the headlight again and dab some clear silicone in the hole that the wires pass through to keep any dirt or dust from getting inside the headlight assembly.
It's a very easy job, 15 or so minutes per side.
Is there are preferable brand?

Old 08-28-2012, 03:42 PM
Omarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant future
Y r u asking questions u know the answer too ?

Old 08-28-2012, 03:57 PM
zeeeeeee is infamous around these parts
I got mine from here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/H1-FULL-XENO...item3375d1c989

I got the High beam, Low beam and Fog lights kits.

The specs were:
- Slim Ballasts
- AC Digital
- Canbus Ballasts
- 6000 K
- 35 W
- Extra Long Harness
- Mounting Plates

Havent installed the kits yet though.

Old 08-28-2012, 04:32 PM
Originally Posted by Omarcoolguy
Y r u asking questions u know the answer too ?
because I wanted someone opinion that got a kit put on recently and not from 2004.

Old 08-29-2012, 01:17 PM
nottoshabi is infamous around these parts
I was thinking of getting these.
http://www.cargym.com/porsche-boxste...ht-p-2448.html

I have these bulbs in there with the stock light assembly.
http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sk...gs+Best+Seller
And it is still dim. I was kind of hopping these would be a lot brighter. If I turn the high beams on then I can see the moon but regular lights they are a little dim. Better then stock but not as bright as I was hopping.

Old 08-29-2012, 05:17 PM
geetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant future
I have a $150+ kit and 3-4 ebay $27 kits(extra kits plus other cars). To be honest with you, I can't tell a difference. Ballast size is similar...build quality is similar...light output...pretty much in all aspects, I can't tell a difference.

Old 08-30-2012, 09:30 AM
Originally Posted by geetee
I have a $150+ kit and 3-4 ebay $27 kits(extra kits plus other cars). To be honest with you, I can't tell a difference. Ballast size is similar...build quality is similar...light output...pretty much in all aspects, I can't tell a difference.
I ordered a $55 kit H7 Slim with AC....I was going to get the more expensive one since I would assume its better quality but we'll see.............

Old 09-01-2012, 11:20 AM
Peterpokerplane is infamous around these parts
I been using ebay kits for a while now, and usually don't have any problems. However, with my Porsche and my BMW, I get a flickering when the lights are on. I ordered the plug in modules that are supposed to eliminate the flickering, and installed them in both cars. The cancelling/error eliminating modules fixed the problem on the BMW, but my Porsche still flickers. Has anyone else had this problem with their HID install?

Old 09-01-2012, 01:30 PM
geetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant future
Make sure it's not the headlight switch. Somewhat common problem. Mine would flicker. I'd switch kits/bulbs etc. After a few months the lights would have a hard time turning in.

Old 09-02-2012, 11:21 AM
Cipher is infamous around these parts
so we can't just buy an HID kit and put it on? I have the litronic, but they aren't HID

Old 09-03-2012, 08:49 PM
white99c2 is a glorious beacon of lightwhite99c2 is a glorious beacon of lightwhite99c2 is a glorious beacon of lightwhite99c2 is a glorious beacon of lightwhite99c2 is a glorious beacon of light
Litronic is just a Porsche name for HID

Old 09-04-2012, 09:40 AM
Pors-Vette is a jewel in the roughPors-Vette is a jewel in the roughPors-Vette is a jewel in the rough
I don't believe the HID kits from eBay that are selling for under $100 are true HID. If you're just installing the bulb and using the OEM reflective cone that doesn't give you true HID. You're missing the projector lens. True HID conversion kits would cost up to $1500. There are kits with the projector and reflective cone available that are starting at $275.

Old 09-04-2012, 09:59 AM
Golonaus is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Pors-Vette
I don't believe the HID kits from eBay that are selling for under $100 are true HID. If you're just installing the bulb and using the OEM reflective cone that doesn't give you true HID. You're missing the projector lens. True HID conversion kits would cost up to $1500. There are kits with the projector and reflective cone available that are starting at $275.
Not true
HID is only a name for High-intensity discharge lamps
The projector is just a lense
Off course it should be paired for best results
And you can buy retrofit projectors for around 70 pair
I retrofitted it in my 99
Total cost under 100$
Effect
Litronicks for the fraction of the price

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: HID Kit Update.