996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Pulsating Sound/Front End (what is it?)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 05:44 PM
MilMascaras is infamous around these parts
Pulsating Sound/Front End (what is it?)

I have a 2002 Carerra 4S. In the last 300-400 miles I noticed the sound of a "pulsating"/"warp" sound coming from my front end, right side whenever I go over 35 mph. I thought maybe one of the wheels was damaged. I recently purchased a new set of victors and had them installed and still hear the sound.

The car has 36k miles and has never had the rotors changed. I am going to replace all the rotors and brakes, but was wondering, if after I replace the front rotors if I still hear the sound, what might I look for?

Any thoughts/comments?

Regards,

Edward

Old 08-27-2012, 08:18 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
First question is - why have you been driving around with strange front-end noises for hundreds of miles. ANY unusual noise should be investigated immediately to avoid unnecessary expenses. To your question, I would have the brakes checked prior to spending any money to replace/repair only that which is necessary.

Old 08-28-2012, 03:47 PM
Pors-Vette is a jewel in the roughPors-Vette is a jewel in the roughPors-Vette is a jewel in the rough
I had a similiar experience but not on my Porsche. My Z06 was exhibiting something similiar to what you're describing and it turned out to be an inside bearing. Replaced it and all is good. BTW, if you're going to replace either inner or outer bearing you may as well replace them both. Good luck.