996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Loss of torque after basic bolt ons on my 99 C4

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 12:37 PM
NIKAS is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Messiahlee
What is best drop in filter do you guys think?
Are most of them oiled and you mentioned bad for Maf?
I have about 7 years on my BMC air filter and so far no MAF issues. You can tell when it's getting dirty and pretty easy to clean and re-oil. Uses std air box, so an easy DIY, remove old drop in new. Noticeable improvement over stock.

Old 09-26-2012, 05:04 PM
teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Slopeslider2
I really would like to add an Intake to improve throttle response. I have have done this on all my other sports cars and have always noticed a considereable improvement. I do have a concern about heat sink and degrading of performance on this car. While I love the eye candy of the Fabspeed Comp Intake, it certainly looks like it would suck in hot air. There are only two closed systems that I have seen the EVO and the cost prohibitive Carbonio. I have read mixed reviews on pretty much all of the intakes available. Any experience with the Evo or using a K&N drop in filter to improve throttle response with out hurting performance?
The stock intake already flows more air than the engine can use, so no intake or filter is going to do anything more than add sound. You're not going to get improved throttle response or any other gains when there's already more air than the engine can use.

Originally Posted by Messiahlee
What is best drop in filter do you guys think?
Are most of them oiled and you mentioned bad for Maf?
See above. The best drop in filter is the stock paper filter.

Originally Posted by NIKAS
I have about 7 years on my BMC air filter and so far no MAF issues. You can tell when it's getting dirty and pretty easy to clean and re-oil. Uses std air box, so an easy DIY, remove old drop in new. Noticeable improvement over stock.
This goes against the basics of running an oiled filter. They filter best when they're dirty and the most common mistake people make is cleaning them too often. They're designed to get dirty and cleaning them more often than every 20-30k miles under normal conditions is hurting their performance and allowing more junk into your engine.

Old 09-26-2012, 05:52 PM
Messiahlee is infamous around these parts
Amen nuff said.. The knowledge from some people on this forum is incredible.