996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Seat advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 11:32 AM
Alabamatoy is infamous around these parts
Seat advice

2000 base model cabriolet. The stock seat hurts me, the lumbar arch is too high and too pronounced. I dont want some gazigabuck racing seat. I would like an OEM-look seat in which I can adjust the lumbar support.

Was such a seat available that might be a bolt-on from a wreck? If so, what do I look for? I am pretty competent mechanic, so swapping the seatcovers over doesnt give me much cause for concern.

Ideas, suggestions?

Old 09-21-2012, 11:46 AM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
Yes. There was a 7 way (or something like that, I have it) which allows full lumbar support. You can inflate, deflate, raise or lower the support area. It would be plug and play as long as you have electric seats. Otherwise, not so much.

Old 09-21-2012, 01:42 PM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
I have them too. They are called the "comfort seat" option with power lumbar support. They are quite comfortable to me.

Steve - are you sure about them being plug-and-play? Porsche seats are notorious for their lack of interchangeability.

Old 09-24-2012, 01:04 AM
bobs02 has a spectacular aura aboutbobs02 has a spectacular aura about
I'm thinking of making the same switch, from the stock seat to the comfort seat. I know I'll have to add the memory seat switch panel that mounts next to the door sill but I'm wondering if all 911's come already wired with the wiring harnesses needed for a comfort seat?

Old 09-24-2012, 06:41 AM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
I believe the wiring harness is built specifically for your car's options at the factory, which is the reason that it's difficult to swap seats without modifying the wiring harness. I highly doubt it will be plug-and-play. It's not impossible, you'll just have to modify the connector a little bit. I haven't had to do this personally, but I've read about many people on this site and others doing it.

Old 09-24-2012, 10:09 AM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
All this is really too much a PITA.

Why not just remove your center cushion and remove material from behind it. Or if you want a more finite adjustability, just install a manual lumbar inflatable cushion back there. A lot of Porsche owners have done this.

Old 09-24-2012, 10:20 AM
Originally Posted by alpine003
just install a manual lumbar inflatable cushion back there. A lot of Porsche owners have done this.
Any suggested souorces for such a cushion, or a write up?

I am interested in the adjustable upgraded seat because Im not the only one who drives the car, and to me the "PITA" of swapping over a seat seems rather minor compared to ripping into the guts of the seat. It looks from the FSM that swapping the seat would be a very minor proposition, 2 screw and 4 bolts and an electrical connector.

Old 09-24-2012, 10:22 AM
Originally Posted by Dennis C
I....it's difficult to swap seats without modifying the wiring harness. I highly doubt it will be plug-and-play. It's not impossible, you'll just have to modify the connector a little bit. I haven't had to do this personally, but I've read about many people on this site and others doing it.
Sounds like a fun project to me. If anyone knows of a writeup or tech report from someone who did it, I would be interested. I have found a replacement seat, and just need to resolve the electrical connector issue.

Old 09-24-2012, 10:29 AM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Alabamatoy
Any suggested souorces for such a cushion, or a write up?

I am interested in the adjustable upgraded seat because Im not the only one who drives the car, and to me the "PITA" of swapping over a seat seems rather minor compared to ripping into the guts of the seat. It looks from the FSM that swapping the seat would be a very minor proposition, 2 screw and 4 bolts and an electrical connector.
Adding lumbar support is even easier than removing 2 scres and 4 bolts. No tools needed. Just reach behind the center cushion and pull it out some and slide in the aftermarket lumbar bladder back there. Literally 5 min job at most.

A lot of Porsche guys have been using this one: http://www.sportsimportsltd.com/inseluinairc.html

Funny thing is that site even uses the 996 seat as a example.

Old 09-24-2012, 12:24 PM
Reborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to behold
Yep, I have that air lumbar in my stock seat. Not bad and was a very easy install.

Old 09-30-2012, 03:44 PM
bobs02 has a spectacular aura aboutbobs02 has a spectacular aura about
Thanks for the suggestion of the lumbar support bladder--just ordered two and they were on sale.

Only other issue I have with the base seat is that I'd like to tilt the front of the seat bottom up an inch or so for better support. Any suggestions for this?

Bob

Old 09-30-2012, 10:19 PM
Originally Posted by bobs02
Thanks for the suggestion of the lumbar support bladder--just ordered two and they were on sale.

Only other issue I have with the base seat is that I'd like to tilt the front of the seat bottom up an inch or so for better support. Any suggestions for this?

Bob
Longer front grade 8 bolts and stack of washers.