996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

oil Leak Pictures...? need help in identifying them

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 01:02 AM
fullmetaljacket is infamous around these parts
oil Leak Pictures...? need help in identifying them

Hi guys. When I got this 99 Carrera, I had no clue whatsoever that it is more difficult to DIY certain important stuffs concerning the engine because the engine is in the rear part Unlike my Cayenne turbo, it's engine is in the normal location .

I was able to buy a ramp so that I can ID and inspect the vehicle. I have to admit I am a little disappointed to discover these oil leaks. I didn't see them when I was buying the car There are basically 3 areas where oil is leaking. Please help me identify which parts they are and what sort of repairs are needed. Here are the pictures...

This one is on top of the exhaust pipe on the left side...
Name:  20121014_105531.jpg
Views: 3222
Size:  367.8 KB

This one is in the back middle part near/adjacent to the oil filter...
Name:  20121014_105021.jpg
Views: 2228
Size:  364.5 KB

Name:  20121014_105049.jpg
Views: 3237
Size:  355.5 KB

This one is towards the center of the car. I notice that oil is not to wet here...
Name:  20121014_105136.jpg
Views: 1974
Size:  268.7 KB

QUESTIONS:
1. Where are these leakis coming from? Both engine and tranny are leaking?
2. Are these oil leaks serious or are they part of a normal wear and tear thing?
3. Are these the type of gaskets I need and price range I'm looking at...http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Engi...869bd8&vxp=mtr
4. Considering that this vehicle is an oldy (13 years), I'm assuming that this type of gasket replacement is necessary right? SO no serious issues t worry about what caused the leaks right? (wishful thinking )
5. Going to the stealers is not an option because my C2 is a grey market import from the US - unfortunately the local Porsche dealership DOES NOT DO grey import servicing. Unlike my Cayenne 04 which was locally purchased, I get charged 2 arms and 2 legs everytime I bring it in for anything. With the C2, I don't mind going to other repair shops. TIA for the help!

Old 10-15-2012, 07:05 AM
FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !
Looks like the RMS and Transmission gasket.

QUESTIONS:
1. Where are these leakis coming from? Both engine and tranny are leaking?

RMS and Trans gasket.

2. Are these oil leaks serious or are they part of a normal wear and tear thing?

I would say normal, RMS was a 996 problem especially if the car was not driven a lot. Replace and be done.

3. Are these the type of gaskets I need and price range I'm looking at...http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Engi...869bd8&vxp=mtr

Link not working, you can get online at several places so long as the shop will install customer provided stuff.

4. Considering that this vehicle is an oldy (13 years), I'm assuming that this type of gasket replacement is necessary right? SO no serious issues t worry about what caused the leaks right? (wishful thinking )

Again I would say no serious issue. If you replace them and it comes back (which it shouldn't) then look for underlying issue.

5. Going to the stealers is not an option because my C2 is a grey market import from the US - unfortunately the local Porsche dealership DOES NOT DO grey import servicing. Unlike my Cayenne 04 which was locally purchased, I get charged 2 arms and 2 legs everytime I bring it in for anything. With the C2, I don't mind going to other repair shops. TIA for the help!

Yup, find a good indy and you'll save moola.

Old 10-15-2012, 07:43 AM
Fozzybear is a glorious beacon of lightFozzybear is a glorious beacon of lightFozzybear is a glorious beacon of lightFozzybear is a glorious beacon of lightFozzybear is a glorious beacon of light
While FLA996TT is almost certainly correct in diagnosing the RMS seal, there is a *small* chance that it could be the IMS bearing. It is pretty much impossible to tell which unless you drop the tranny.

If it is the IMS, you want to have that dealt with PDQ.

Old 10-15-2012, 09:24 AM
Thank you with for the response!

@FLA996TTP - Thanks. Sorry for ny ignorance. A real newbie on 911. Which is which? Which of my pictures is the RMS and which one is the tranny?

@Fozzybear - Thanks. Im sure it has been discussed on other IMS threads but since you brought it up. What specifically is the sound that an IMS failure make - rattling, humming or vibrating noise? When does*the sound come out? I basically want to force my 911 to give me a clue whether the IMS has already failed. Do i drive it at a certain speed, a particular gear, terrain, etc? Thanks again guys. Cheers!

Old 10-15-2012, 10:52 AM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
The oil drop dripping on the header(exhaust manifold) seems typical with leaky spark plug tube/o-rings.

I would replace all spark plugs and inspect coil plugs for cracking and inspect and/or replace all 6 spark plug tubes along with o-rings. This is pretty common issue on older 996 models.

Old 10-15-2012, 10:57 AM
Fozzybear is a glorious beacon of lightFozzybear is a glorious beacon of lightFozzybear is a glorious beacon of lightFozzybear is a glorious beacon of lightFozzybear is a glorious beacon of light
By the time an IMS bearing begins to make noises you're totally screwed. Don't wait that long to get it addressed.

Old 10-15-2012, 12:51 PM
FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !
Here is some info:

http://www.c-speedr.com/howto/996rms/rms1.php

http://www.findaporsche.com/porsche-...s-replacement/

On the IMS bearing, well if it's making noise as stated, gone, which could cause engine damage, this is why it needs to ba addressed asap if there is a problem.

To check the IMS; you will need to do an oils change, when you remove the filter save it, cut it open and see if there are any metal shavings or bits, or pieces, if there are, change the bearing no exceptions.

Please understand your problems here a minor in nature and very common, so don't fret. How many miles on her? Once you get the RMS and IMS completed she'll be good as gold.

Jim

Old 10-15-2012, 02:07 PM
peckel has a spectacular aura aboutpeckel has a spectacular aura aboutpeckel has a spectacular aura about
Header-side leak

Originally Posted by alpine003
The oil drop dripping on the header(exhaust manifold) seems typical with leaky spark plug tube/o-rings.

I would replace all spark plugs and inspect coil plugs for cracking and inspect and/or replace all 6 spark plug tubes along with o-rings. This is pretty common issue on older 996 models.
Agreed. 1+ Repaired this before on my own.

Old 10-15-2012, 04:31 PM
JSavinoJr has a spectacular aura aboutJSavinoJr has a spectacular aura aboutJSavinoJr has a spectacular aura about
As stated,it could be the spark plug tubes. How i knew it was mine,It would only leak after about a few minutes of driving then i would get some light smoke coming from the back. Changed them myself,it's not too bad of a job,there's a great DIY on Renntech.

Old 10-22-2012, 08:32 AM
Thanks guys! Appreciate the links and DIY stuffs. Very clear.

I would like to replace all the gaskets (leaking or not), sparkplug tubes and o-rings, RMS and IMS bearing and have been scanning each part on ebay. IMHO costs are not too bad or far from Hondas

Now to my last questions...

1. Is there a place where I can just order all these gaskets so that they can be shipped all together? Can you guys recommend where I can order them all in one stop? Very expensive (due to shipping cost) and confusing to shop for EACH part (I don't know the part numbers).

2. Where do I look for the part numbers for my 911. For BMW's, there is a sight wherein you punch in your VIN number and this site would give you all the part numbers for your specific bimmer....

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/select.do

3. Lastly, In your own experience, which IMS Bearing replacement would you recommend? There are different kinds/suppliers right? LNE, etc? Where do I buy them?

Is there one for Porsches?

Thanks guys! Cheers!

Last edited by fullmetaljacket; 10-22-2012 at 09:03 AM.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:46 AM
Originally Posted by fullmetaljacket
Thanks guys! Appreciate the links and DIY stuffs. Very clear.

I would like to replace all the gaskets (leaking or not), sparkplug tubes and o-rings, RMS and IMS bearing and have been scanning each part on ebay. IMHO costs are not too bad or far from Hondas

Now to my last questions...

1. Is there a place where I can just order all these gaskets so that they can be shipped all together? Can you guys recommend where I can order them all in one stop? Very expensive (due to shipping cost) and confusing to shop for EACH part (I don't know the part numbers).

2. Where do I look for the part numbers for my 911. For BMW's, there is a sight wherein you punch in your VIN number and this site would give you all the part numbers for your specific bimmer....

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/select.do

Is there one for Porsches?

Thanks guys! Cheers!

The IMS Bearing should be ordered directly from LN Engineering, call and talk to them about it, they will also want you to ship the old one back, do it. The RMS, go to a local dealer and pick up a heavy duty replacement, $45.00. The spark plug tubes and O rings will be OEM stuff, so look at some of the bigger on-line stores like RenHaus, Renline, etc. since it's going to be OEM I suspect the dealer would be the place to start, so look at SunCoast Porsche, they usually have what you need.
http://www.suncoastparts.com/category/PO.html

You may need to call them.

Jim