996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Bulletproof

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 09:50 PM
Stiles17 is infamous around these parts
Bulletproof

Hello,

This is my first post to the forum. I feel I should get acquainted with folks as I am officially now beginning my search for a 996, preferably a Mk II.

I'm not a first time Porsche owner. I'm 35 and when I was 29 I bought a 1986 (or 85.5') 944 Turbo. It was black on beige, beautiful inside and out, fast, fun, and absurdly expensive. Expensive because I didn't do my homework: I didn't look for records in my research. Common issues with the 944 started to show up and next thing I had $5k invested in it on top of what I paid for it. THIS is why my wife is not too happy about my thoughts on purchasing a 996. But I am assuming the folks here have the same...addiction I guess...to Porsche. There is just that mystique about them.

With the introductions out of the way I wanted to ask some technical questions. I work a lot on cars and have rebuilt two engines and am not afraid to tear anything apart to fix apart from a transmission---in my mind those are best left to professionals. I have a shop in my garage. If the consensus on the board here is that I need a lift for the car then I will purchase one to work on the car. However, since the engines drop out the rear I'm not sure if this is a necessary purchase. Any help on that decision would be appreciated.

Secondly, the IMS bearing. From my research people consistently talk about the IMS. However, from what I gather, the research I've done and the pictures I've observed on Google images it seems that it is not the shaft itself that is the culprit but rather the IMS bearing. Is this correct? If so, does anyone offer an aftermarket bearing? Assuming Porsche does not have an updated replacement? I must admit I am skeptical of buying an upgraded part from Porsche. If they couldn't get it right the first time I have reservations about them getting it right the second time. This is why I called my subject line "Bulletproof."

I want the engine to be bulletproof. As free of hazards as one can get within reason given the bad rep the 3.4 and 3.6 have received. Statistically, engine failures are low. But you have to understand: I want to keep this car. If I don't do my research my wife will hang me and force me to sell it. Thus, I am more than willing to disassemble the engine and replace the IMS bearing, change the RMS seal, change the head bolts, change the tensioner pulley, possibly upgrade the chain guide (something I hear a rumor about it breaks), and while I'm in there, upgrade to some more aggressive cams that will provide more low-end torque.

I'm sure there is a plethora of common issues at stake I should be looking out for and I will definitely be looking for records. However, I am the type of person who is not just a turn-key guy. I like driving cars. I like working on cars. I'm a scientist and on the weekends you would never know it as I'm all greased up in dirty rag clothes. The neighbors don't know what to think of me

When I buy the car, I'm not even sure I want to drive it too much initially. I think I want to rip it apart first and do all of the work so that I have the piece of mind knowing that I've cleaned the slate and done a major overhaul and saved myself probably $10k or more in parts and labor. As a scientist I am OCD by nature and though I love quirkyness (I've owned many Saabs) I love to tinker, even tackling big projects.

If someone could point me in the right direction as to what jacking system is best (shop-like hydraulic lift or some sort of specialized jacks) for dropping the engine, what company offers a great upgrade IMS bearing and/or shaft, RMS seal, or any other parts I should consider I would be forever indebted to you.

Thank you for your time and making it this far through this novel. I look forward to being on this forum.

Best,
Stiles

Old 10-20-2012, 03:28 AM
aedolfan is infamous around these parts
WOW, Stiles what a place to start! I am by no means an expert, but I too recently bought my first 996 about a month ago. So far so good, finger crossed. I, like you did mounds of research before I jumped in the pool. From what my research tells me, the IMS bearing IS an issue, in a very tiny sample. However, if you read enough of the forums and there are plenty, you will come away from them thinking 996’s are dumping engines daily on a galactic scale. DO NOT LISTEN, be aware, do your homework, talk, not post, talk to as many owners as you can. A great way to engage these folks is to locate an active Porsche club in your area. Here in Wichita, we have a great one. Many many knowledgable folks here and all seem very, if not overly willing to help. Do yourself a favor and start here. As far as I can tell, there is a flaw in the overall design in the bearing and lube system concerning the IMS. It is a single row bearing with limited access to oil if not properly maintained. (oil change) Also, I have spoke to many who recommend that a low mileage car is not the way to go. The thought process is that this 'garage queen' may fail due to its low frequency of use. I looked and found a 2002 with 77k on the clock. When you locate your 996, complete a PPI from a trusted tech. However, this should in no way imply that when your taillights are out of sight of the shop your car will be perfect forever, do your due diligence.

Now, all that being said, my local club, this fall, we are changing 4 IMS bearings as a group. None of these, mine included, show signs of IMS bearing failure, better be safe than sorry. Plus, in a group setting, group and tribal knowledge must be better.

Now as far as a lift goes, my plan is to get one early next year. Found several on eBay for about $1200. These are mini lifts with a capacity of about 6K pounds. I'm thinking it will be a sound investment for both myself and our 19 yr old son...great bonding time ya know. Anyway, again I'm no expert, but I hope I helped point you in a direction that is filled with less speculation and fear, best wishes and when you get yours..... drive it like you stole it!

Austin

Last edited by aedolfan; 10-20-2012 at 03:30 AM. Reason: Clean up
Old 10-20-2012, 07:22 AM
flybye_ is infamous around these parts
My 2 cents

Stiles, I acquired a 04 996 40th Annv about 2 years ago. Very low mil car, perfect interor and exterior with about 12k on it. I felt I bought it at a reasonable price keeping in mind due to the age I would need to start replacing some mech parts. It had a service history but the fluids weren't changed as much as I would but I'm a nut. I started with the fluids, then hoses, spark plugs , tires. Waited about a year then did the H2o pump,AOS, RMS and IMS. I now feel that my car is almost like it rolled out of the factory. I now have about 18k on it. So I guess what I'm suggesting is keep in the mind the associated cost. New, my car was about 95k so with my purschase price, + mech items it's still way under what the car costs new. I'm in VT if you want to chat some more. flybye_@yahoo.com
mark

Old 10-20-2012, 01:07 PM
Reborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to behold
If you want a bullet proof engine by the turbo!

Old 10-21-2012, 09:34 PM
Originally Posted by flybye_
Stiles, I acquired a 04 996 40th Annv about 2 years ago. Very low mil car, perfect interor and exterior with about 12k on it. I felt I bought it at a reasonable price keeping in mind due to the age I would need to start replacing some mech parts. It had a service history but the fluids weren't changed as much as I would but I'm a nut. I started with the fluids, then hoses, spark plugs , tires. Waited about a year then did the H2o pump,AOS, RMS and IMS. I now feel that my car is almost like it rolled out of the factory. I now have about 18k on it. So I guess what I'm suggesting is keep in the mind the associated cost. New, my car was about 95k so with my purschase price, + mech items it's still way under what the car costs new. I'm in VT if you want to chat some more. flybye_@yahoo.com
mark
Sounds like we have a lot in common. Those are essentially all of the part replacements I would do, and plan doing, in the future once I secure the car. As a quick question, what is the price on replacing the AOS do you think? Myself that is?

As an aside, I figure I'm going to take my time looking for a C2 or C4S, though I am leaning toward the C4S. I do like the idea of a turbo as I like the speed and LOVE the wide-body look. However, doesn't the C4S have this wide-body look as well? Does it not have essentially the same braking system as the turbo? Unless I'm missing something I don't see why one wouldn't install an aftermarket supercharger from TPC for $11k and save the money of a TT.

I have to admit it, I'm scared of turbo 911's. I have driven an 85' or 86' 911 Turbo (can't exactly remember which MY) and that thing was unreal. Beautiful. Creaky. Raw. And very dangerous for the inexperienced driver. I'm no pro by any means but I know from enough hooning on back roads and some tracks that once you enter a corner at speed and the turbo kicks in you've got to keep your cool and the pedal on the floor. I'm glad I got that tidbit of knowledge from another driver before taking that car for a drive. Panic and you'll be in a few 360's and hopefully won't total your car.

Those were the old turbo's though. I don't know if the newer TT Porsche's experience this kind of turbo lag and then sudden onset of amazing power but the consistency and linearity that a supercharger offers has always given me a bit more confidence. To me, it is a more reliable system, though I'm sure that is up for debate.

I feel it's odd that I'm on these forums even though I don't own a 996 yet so I really don't have that much information to offer. I wish I did. I've learned that with certain cars patience is the key to a wonderful relationship with your car, and your wallet.

Thanks for your help though; very much appreciated!! I actually am originally from Vermont, the Upper Valley area. It's been several years since I lived there but I miss it. New Hampshire is nice but one has to move to where the work is...

Last edited by Stiles17; 10-21-2012 at 11:43 PM.
Old 10-21-2012, 09:35 PM
Originally Posted by Reborn996
If you want a bullet proof engine by the turbo!
Hello and thank you for the response. Is there something internally that makes the TT engine more robust? Does the factory "beef-up" bearings or other internals to handle the increased torque and HP?

Old 10-21-2012, 11:40 PM
Originally Posted by aedolfan
WOW, Stiles what a place to start! I am by no means an expert, but I too recently bought my first 996 about a month ago. So far so good, finger crossed. I, like you did mounds of research before I jumped in the pool. From what my research tells me, the IMS bearing IS an issue, in a very tiny sample. However, if you read enough of the forums and there are plenty, you will come away from them thinking 996’s are dumping engines daily on a galactic scale. DO NOT LISTEN, be aware, do your homework, talk, not post, talk to as many owners as you can. A great way to engage these folks is to locate an active Porsche club in your area. Here in Wichita, we have a great one. Many many knowledgable folks here and all seem very, if not overly willing to help. Do yourself a favor and start here. As far as I can tell, there is a flaw in the overall design in the bearing and lube system concerning the IMS. It is a single row bearing with limited access to oil if not properly maintained. (oil change) Also, I have spoke to many who recommend that a low mileage car is not the way to go. The thought process is that this 'garage queen' may fail due to its low frequency of use. I looked and found a 2002 with 77k on the clock. When you locate your 996, complete a PPI from a trusted tech. However, this should in no way imply that when your taillights are out of sight of the shop your car will be perfect forever, do your due diligence.

Now, all that being said, my local club, this fall, we are changing 4 IMS bearings as a group. None of these, mine included, show signs of IMS bearing failure, better be safe than sorry. Plus, in a group setting, group and tribal knowledge must be better.

Now as far as a lift goes, my plan is to get one early next year. Found several on eBay for about $1200. These are mini lifts with a capacity of about 6K pounds. I'm thinking it will be a sound investment for both myself and our 19 yr old son...great bonding time ya know. Anyway, again I'm no expert, but I hope I helped point you in a direction that is filled with less speculation and fear, best wishes and when you get yours..... drive it like you stole it!

Austin
Hello Austin,

I appreciate all your advice and help! I'm really impressed that your local club is getting together to change the IMS bearings. That clearly differentiates the "true" enthusiasts from the people who just want to be seen in a Porsche. Granted, there are times when you simply don't have the time and it's easier to drop it off at an indie shop or the dealer and have the work done so you don't have to deal with it, but this approach, in my opinion, leads to a greater relationship between car and man; or in your case, car, son, and man. There is definitely something to be said about that.

I completely understand your reference to due diligence toward finding my 996 (i.e., an investigation or audit of a potential investment). This is a great segue into how or where I'll find my 996. I have a feeling I'll be spending a lot of money on PPI's as the "perfect" car for me might be on the other side of the country. It's something I'm not used to and I can only hope I can find a reputable shop in the area I am thinking of purchasing the vehicle. This is an area I'll have to do some more research so I don't get taken advantage of. There's nothing like being there in person...doing your own inspection.

As for the lift, I've also given consideration to the so-called "4-Post Car Lift." It's pretty slick and I've seen it in action at an indie shop that I'm friends with. They used to do business with a chap in Norwich, VT who had the largest Bugatti collection in the world. Not a Veyron...I mean real Bugatti's from the old days. These were $1-$3 one-off track cars of huge historical value. At any rate, since they used them for those cars I feel quite confident it can hold a Porsche on top. Supposedly I'll be able to put my Acura MDX underneath too. There is a lot of clearance.

I do have one more question: books. Lot's off books! I've looked on Amazon but haven't found anything particularly fascinating that is specifically for the 996. Maybe I am missing something? I did come across the Porsche 996 The Essential Companion. It's not exactly bed-time reading material from what I've read though which is what I'm looking for at this point. I will order it anyway as I will need it for the technical aspects in the future.

As always, thanks to everyone for their input.

Old 10-22-2012, 07:36 AM
FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !
First off, welcome! If you love to tinker and can do stuff yourself, thats gold! IMO what makes a car bulletproof is doing the required maintenance.
Every car is going to have it's little idiosyncrasies, even turbo's.
The IMS bearing keep an eye on the oil filter looking for metal, I changed mine when I bought mine for peace of mind, but that's me.

Old 10-22-2012, 07:44 AM
Fozzybear is a glorious beacon of lightFozzybear is a glorious beacon of lightFozzybear is a glorious beacon of lightFozzybear is a glorious beacon of lightFozzybear is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Stiles17
Hello and thank you for the response. Is there something internally that makes the TT engine more robust? Does the factory "beef-up" bearings or other internals to handle the increased torque and HP?
The 996 turbo is based on the Mezger m64 engine which had been in production since ~'89 and proven to be a real tank on and off the track. The m96 engine otoh was a brand new design with at least a partial emphasis on cost efficiency.

If you are not financially constrained, go turbo.

Old 10-22-2012, 11:15 AM
Holdem is infamous around these parts
6speed vs triptronic

First time Porsche owner here! Did the research as well. I acquired an 04 996 C2 Cab with 60k with the same intentions...to methodically go through the mechanics of this machine. I did select a 6speed vs an automatic for ease of maintenance involving the IMS and RMS bearing/seals...my understanding is that the engine does not have to be removed on the 6speed, although I may be wrong. I am sure more experienced owners on this forum can provide better advice!

BEST of Luck on your search!

Old 10-22-2012, 11:27 AM
Fozzybear is a glorious beacon of lightFozzybear is a glorious beacon of lightFozzybear is a glorious beacon of lightFozzybear is a glorious beacon of lightFozzybear is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Holdem
First time Porsche owner here! Did the research as well. I acquired an 04 996 C2 Cab with 60k with the same intentions...to methodically go through the mechanics of this machine. I did select a 6speed vs an automatic for ease of maintenance involving the IMS and RMS bearing/seals...my understanding is that the engine does not have to be removed on the 6speed, although I may be wrong. I am sure more experienced owners on this forum can provide better advice!

BEST of Luck on your search!
Yes, engine can be left in place for IMS/RMS maintenance while only the tranny is dropped.

Old 10-22-2012, 02:57 PM
Originally Posted by Fozzybear
Yes, engine can be left in place for IMS/RMS maintenance while only the tranny is dropped.
This is outstanding information. Now that you mention only the transmission needs to be dropped I question the idea of a full lift. A lift that only requires the car, say 3ft. or 4ft. off of the ground would be adequate in this case assuming you have a transmission jack/lift to help negotiate it around from underneath the car to an open space where you can work on it. Is the engine dropped out as well? Like the old VW Beetles? Or do you use a crane to lift them out?

Cheers,
Shayne

Old 10-23-2012, 06:45 PM
Sharp has much to be proud ofSharp has much to be proud ofSharp has much to be proud ofSharp has much to be proud ofSharp has much to be proud ofSharp has much to be proud ofSharp has much to be proud ofSharp has much to be proud of
engine drops out the bottom just like the old ones

Old 10-24-2012, 11:48 AM
Byprodriver is infamous around these parts
Stiles, changing to MORE aggressive cams results in LESS low end torque.
People often write IMS when it should be IMSB to mean the bearing.
For definitive info on IMSB's & other M96 engine weakness go to:

lnengineering.com

Old 10-24-2012, 09:30 PM
Originally Posted by Byprodriver
Stiles, changing to MORE aggressive cams results in LESS low end torque.
People often write IMS when it should be IMSB to mean the bearing.
For definitive info on IMSB's & other M96 engine weakness go to:

lnengineering.com
I stand corrected! I should have said a cam with less duration, although I would also consider something with less lobe separation now that I have put more thought into it.

As for the link you posted you are a lifesaver. Hands down that is the best website for a person like me. It is extremely involved and details the IMSB very well. For anyone looking for peace of mind look no further than this site. They also have several modifications as well. They literally even mention "bulletproofing" your engine on the Porsche Engine Upgrades link, which is the subject of this thread. I think that pretty much sums it up. LN Engineering has it covered.

Thank you!